Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    First ever costume cards
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First ever costume cards
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of jademaliburoad
posted
I recently realized that oversized costume cards, were not only a bigger swatch, but also the card itself being much bigger.

Came to remember when I first saw those new types of cards. It was extraordinary to touch a piece of fabric, worn on my favorite show back then.
It was 2002, and Angel season 3 just had its first piecework cards, from Inkworks.

I was wondering, which ones were the first ever costume cards made?

Posts: 1188 | Location: France | Registered: April 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Good question and it would probably require a bit of research to narrow it down to a couple of products, probably appearing around the same time.

But if I were to guess, the first swatch cards were probably made in sports cards of the early 90's. They used to be just called swatches. Then it became jerseys or uniforms and eventually relic got to be the blanket term for any type of clothing.

The non-sport costume card started as a swatch too. Then it went to material and eventually relic. With non-sport cards, material was also eventually identified as personal clothing, screen worn costumes and material from costumes, which could be from any leftover fabric rolls.

I totally agree that I really like the oversized swatches. Most costume cards, or whatever you want to call them, are not interesting, especially once they became a standard box hit. Since they were made in abundance and are usually one-color jobs, the vast majority are incredibly cheap. There are exceptions for limited cards or variants, that may cost a nice price.

Multiple swatch cards also cost more, but it's hardly worth it once you go beyond the duals and triples. Both Breygent and CZE put out cast cards with 6 - 11 swatches as I recall. and they went for big bucks, but really looked like a bunch of tiny square cutouts.

So I didn't answer your question, but non-sport has always followed closely behind sports cards in making premium hits. Only with sketch cards do I feel non-sport had the leading innovation because that's where the artists worked. For me, I think my earliest non-sport costume cards must have come from Inkworks, possibly Buffy.

Posts: 10371 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
2002 might be a good time frame. Nothing from Inkworks had them until then and Lord of the Rings didn't have them until the first update edition also in 2002.

Posts: 4844 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
American Pie had the Elvis swatch in 2001

Posts: 4844 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Farscape had them in 2000

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
We had a similar discussion last year talking about "firsts."

http://nonsportupdate.infopop....4605353/m/9717056596

I'm not sure NSU nor The Wrapper has done an article about that before. It would be interesting as a "card history" reference. I like that NSU has been going back not so long ago (90's) and long ago (50's) but maybe it's time to look at the history of 3D/lenticulars/costume cards/other chase. I have a feeling something like that has been written before. If you spend any time at all going back through 90's back issues, you run into an article you completely forgot about and enjoy all over again.

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post