Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Remember That 'Mystery Box'?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remember That 'Mystery Box'?
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted
Just wondering - I never really knew much about this as I wasn't as much of a 'Card Talker' back then - does anyone remember when a bunch of Card Talkers started up a 'Mystery Box' filled with all sorts of cards from commons to major chase like autos/costumes etc that was mailed to a different address each time and the reciver took out the cards they wanted, put in the same number of card usually of an equal level eg auto for auto and then mailed it on but no one knew who'd get it until they posted on the forum?

What happened to that?

-TC00.

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
I totally forgot about those. That was such a cool ideal. Not sure where they ever finished. There was more then one at the end.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I thought it was a great idea - I received one, once (though took a while for me to pass it on) I eventually did but I think it only made it to a few more destinations before disappearing...Frown

otim

Posts: 700 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I created the Card Talk Mystery Box back in 2004. It was a fun idea. It started with one box. Shipping was a lot cheaper back then. It has 100 cards. Well, as it passed around things started to happen. Someone stuck around several thousands of base cards and the box got really expensive to ship. Then it was damaged in the mail by getting really, really wet. Since I was the return address I got it back and replaced the contents in a new box and sent it out. At some point frustration started to built about that there was only 1 box and so 3 or four more got started. Then people were not following one box but multiple boxes. Boxes started disappearing or all the chase cards were replaced with base cards. It was a lot easier to victimize the system with less people aware of what was going on. People would get the box(es) multiple time while other never got the box. Soon, they all disappeared. The box I started had a sheet where you put your cardtalk id on it it but you did not have to pass the box on just send the list of signers to me in a stamped envelope in the box. Whoever kept the one I sent out never did this.
Now with shipping rates what they are it, I don't know if anyone would do it again. Also, I built it for fun and it eventually became, "Hey why have I not got the box?" forum.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
I built it for fun and it eventually became, "Hey why have I not got the box?" forum.

That Mystery Box was still active in 2007 when I started posting on Card Talk, but I never participated because I'm lazy and hate to go to the Post Office. Big Grin

Anyway it sounded like a fun idea, but as usual the longer something goes on, the sooner it gets screwed up. Wink

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I think I got one of those from barobehere, if I recall correctly. I thought it was a cool idea at the time. Too bad someone had to mess up a good thing. Frown

Posts: 1458 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I have enough cards lying around and if the box was smaller (say 50 cards). I would be willing to light one up again. Maybe I should.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have enough cards lying around and if the box was smaller (say 50 cards). I would be willing to light one up again. Maybe I should.

Barrett has mail! Wave

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Sci-FiPlanet
posted Hide Post
I would be willing to add at least 25 cards, possibly more, if you guys are setting anew one up.

Posts: 884 | Location: UK | Registered: October 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
The last time we did this we had a couple of boxes for America & Canada and a couple of boxes for Europe etc.

This was not the original plan but it did succeed in keeping the postage costs down for the people sending the boxes.

I still have one of the Europe boxes here as it got sent back to me, i'm happy to send this off again if people want to do it.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I remember why I let these things die off. First, Thank you to the two card talkers who offered who last got the boxes and to help fill a box up if I needed help.
Second, to the three card talkers who e-mailed me with the "Well, I NEVER got the Mystery Box and I should be the first to get it because it wasn't fair that I never got it." or my favorite "I should be the first to get the new mystery box because everyone here hates me." Guess what. If someone starts one up it is not going to be me now.
Thank you.

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Unfortunatly it does not matter what you try to do there are allways people who will throw it in your face. Shake Head

Won't stop us trying though. Smile

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SBelcher
posted Hide Post
Unbelievable... and yet so believable.
If you guys don't mind me asking, what usually goes into these boxes? I'd imagine (and hope) that its not a "dumping ground" for base cards, so low-to-mid level chase usually?

Posts: 281 | Location: Indiana | Registered: April 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
The box consisted of mainly promos and chase cards with some low end autos/costumes/sketches.

No base cards were to go in the box.

Picture of SBelcher
posted Hide Post
That actually sounds pretty fun. I'd definitely like to be a part of it if one gets started up. I might even have enough oddball stuff laying around to help start one.
It'd almost be like the Secret Santa but in the summer time Razz

Posts: 281 | Location: Indiana | Registered: April 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
I remember why I let these things die off. First, Thank you to the two card talkers who offered who last got the boxes and to help fill a box up if I needed help.
Second, to the three card talkers who e-mailed me with the "Well, I NEVER got the Mystery Box and I should be the first to get it because it wasn't fair that I never got it." or my favorite "I should be the first to get the new mystery box because everyone here hates me." Guess what. If someone starts one up it is not going to be me now.
Thank you.

We only remember the good times. Wink

You need a big sense of humor and a bigger bottle of Scotch to organize anything. Big Grin

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post