Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Guinness Book of World Records Christmas in July
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guinness Book of World Records Christmas in July
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted
Today, it is with great pride and pleasure that I announce my induction into the Guinness Book of Records as officially being the owner of the largest promotional trading card collection in the world!
It took almost 1 year of answering innumerable questions, uploading pictures and videos and sending verifications for them to approve the title.

In celebration of this event, I am giving away 500 different promo cards to one lucky member of CardTalk.

All you have to do is to send a short email to promoking@aol.com telling me which promo card is your holy grail and how long you have been searching for it. Short and sweet. That's it!

I will pick 1 winner. That person will get their holy grail promo and the 500 additional promo cards.

This contest is open to ALL collectors, no matter where in the world you live and I will pay for shipping!!

The contest begins today and will close on Sunday, July 28th, 2019 at 11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time. The winner will be announced on this thread Monday, July 29th 2019.

Good luck to everyone!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: promoking,

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
That's a fine accomplishment. I, and my paltry promo card collection, salute you, Sir!

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So now you are officially the PROMO KING. Thumb Up

People are actually willing to try to kill themselves to get into Guinness, so you made it in one piece. Big Grin

I'm not entering your contest because others would appreciate it more, but I want to congratulate you on your certification, recognition and generosity. It doesn't get any better than best in the world. Clap Clap Clap

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wow, congrats to you!!

I'd love to enter the contest, but I'm afraid my quest mostly consists of fruitless Ebay searching.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Congratulations you have put so much into it you deserve it

Posts: 758 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Promoking! What a process that must be, determining that you have the world record. I had only a vague idea that you might have had around as many as the late great Bill DeFranzo did, but after you bought his collection and without a known contender outside the U.S., you have earned your crown. You even gave out your own promo!

Your contest sounds like fun too.

Jess

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the Guinness record. I keep plodding away trying to get promos. There are so many different kinds it is a tough task.

Posts: 900 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AWR
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and great job.

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Amazing accomplishment! Congrats to THE promoking! Clap

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for the nice words. I really appreciate them.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Just spotted this, bit late. Big Grin

A massive congrats to you for this superb achievement. I know from the years i have put in how tough it is to not only collect the promos but also to keep track of what you have and not lose heart when the one that eludes you cannot be found.

This really is superb, well done. Clap

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Very Cool! Congrats!

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Remember, Only 8 days left before the contest ends on Sunday,July 29th.

500 free promos plus your holy grail promo card(if I have a duplicate) are yours if you are the winner! Send your email.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Keep those emails coming!Some of you have been looking for your holy grail promo card for decades! I understand the feeling Smile.

Please send your email to promoking@aol.com and you may well become the winner of 501 promo cards this Sunday!

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Oh man! Just saw this. That is totally awesome!

I don't see here how many cards makes the record.

Do tell!

Not that I have any hope of beating it, I have more autograph cards than I do promo cards. Razz

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
promoking, I was just wondering, since I don't believe I've ever read you talk about . . .

How do you keep track of what promos you have, what you need and what's coming out? And how much time do you dedicate to keeping up with the whole lot of it? It sounds massive.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
The contest ends tomorrow ! Get your emails out to me. Who will be the winner?

Picture of piperh33
posted Hide Post
I just saw this topic.

Congratulations, promoking !! Clap Clap Clap It's very great for you.

Wolfie is right, it takes such perseverance and energy when looking for cards, it's a great reward ! Thumb Up

Posts: 130 | Location: Bordeaux, France | Registered: December 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
promoking, I was just wondering, since I don't believe I've ever read you talk about . . .

How do you keep track of what promos you have, what you need and what's coming out? And how much time do you dedicate to keeping up with the whole lot of it? It sounds massive.

I use to keep my collection by theme but that became confusing since many cards overlap different genres. About ten years ago, I decided to keep track of the cards alphabetically and it works well. So, as of last count, I had approximately 30,000 different non sport promo cards encompassing the years 1987 through 2008 and another 5,000 sports promo cards for that same period. They are contained in 85 three/four inch binders. When I find a card or set that is not catalogued, I write unlisted on a sticker, affix it to the card pages holder and write as much info regarding its provenance,manufacturer, year etc..
I use PCE as a guide as well and only highlight the cards which I am still missing from the publication and check it off when I find the card. I'm still missing less than 100 that are listed in PCE but that book only lists about 8,000 cards altogether.
I stopped looking for cards or adding to my collection promos made after 2008, for reasons which I've discussed in other threads.
Once I organized the collection alphabetically, which took a long time, It became a lot easier to perform searches from my short want list. When I'm looking, I sometimes also find cards in odd categories or with strange descriptions which fit within the "promotional" card category.
thanks for asking.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
Wow, that’s awesome!
Congratulations on getting in the Guinness Book of World Records!

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post