Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1992 Flopps?
 Login/Join

NSU Elf
posted
Posting this for a friend. Does anyone know anything about 1992 Flopps?

These are the only images I have but the question is there actually a promo version and regular version?

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Promo cards from a set by Pro Set that was never released due to harsh response by the MLB Players Association.

Some were sent out to Pro Set customers as a test reaction with fans before the PA response shut the project down.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Promo cards from a set by Pro Set that was never released due to harsh response by the MLB Players Association.

Some were sent out to Pro Set customers as a test reaction with fans before the PA response shut the project down.

The same Pro Set that put out those Football sets around the same time?
Pro Set was so unsure they didn't put their name on them? Would have thought PSA would have put Pro Set on the flip.

Thank you for the information.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Yes the same Pro Set.

I don't think the promos were completed as it was all in the testing phase. They were just prototype cards and as a parody set Flopps was going to be the name of it.

Here is a Chicago Tribune article from that year.

https://www.chicagotribune.com...201120410-story.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Also, there is no real shortage of these. Can get a sealed set on ebay for under 5 bucks.

One seller is selling 100 sealed sets for less than a $1 a set.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There was a time maybe 15 years ago when you could've gotten $15-20 per pack for these. I've seen sellers try to get more than that in recent years, but yeah, you can get them cheap. Someone might have hoarded a quantity too long or was unknowingly sitting on it and someone else ended up with them and is just trying to cash out quick now.

There was a guy selling oddball Pro Set cards (mostly sports error/variations) last year but I think he had these too.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
There was a time maybe 15 years ago when you could've gotten $15-20 per pack for these. I've seen sellers try to get more than that in recent years, but yeah, you can get them cheap. Someone might have hoarded a quantity too long or was unknowingly sitting on it and someone else ended up with them and is just trying to cash out quick now.

There was a guy selling oddball Pro Set cards (mostly sports error/variations) last year but I think he had these too.

Yeah, the terms "Pro Set" and "low production numbers" are not synonymous. I'm sure some projected hype into these especially when the set was cancelled. Still, a limited run back in 92 could have been as high as 25,000.

NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the information. I will pass this along.

New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys...I'm the one seeking the info.

Long story short - how does one know the difference between these two cards. Or is there no difference and its more of a categorial issue with the way PSA Labeled the cards?

The Pop reports for both of these are 1 (so if these are the same then its really 2), but they are listed in different areas: One is baseball, and the other is nonsport.

Posts: 1 | Location: Dimondale, MI | Registered: August 27, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iluvfish2:
Or is there no difference and its more of a categorial issue with the way PSA Labeled the cards?

Yes...this.

I don't know what a pop report is but you will see different slab labeling over the years due to mixed standards between graders.

An example would be the first person to grade the card would list it one way. Then a follow on grader might not be able to find it in the system so the next one gets listed differently.

The more obscure the title the more likely this is to happen.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I'm ashamed to know this. Pop Report - Population Report

The registry of how many of the same card was graded thru a service and what is the breakdown of all the grades assigned. Another way for card collectors to be convinced that their high grade cards are really, really rare. Big Grin

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I'm ashamed to know this. Pop Report - Population Report

The registry of how many of the same card was graded thru a service and what is the breakdown of all the grades assigned. Another way for card collectors to be convinced that their high grade cards are really, really rare. Big Grin

Ahhh! Like the CGC census. Yeah it can be a bit fun to navigate as well. Wink

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Right. There were dealers pointing out that the set was cancelled and I'm sure some said only a small quantity of the promos got out ("I can't get any more!") before the Pro Set stormtroopers burned the rest. I got a pack for maybe $5 back then. It was a regular dealer promo so it was common at first.

quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:

Yeah, the terms "Pro Set" and "low production numbers" are not synonymous. I'm sure some projected hype into these especially when the set was cancelled. Still, a limited run back in 92 could have been as high as 25,000.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post