Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Oscar Winners and Autograph Cards
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oscar Winners and Autograph Cards
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted
Decided to match up my collection with Academy award winners going back to the 50's. So far I have roughly 70 autograph cards by winners of the Golden statue. Some of the early history is as follows:

Ernest Borgnine 1956 Best Actor Marty
Charlton Heston 1960 Best Actor Ben Hur
Shirley Jones 1961 Best Supporting Actress Elmer Gantry
Patricia Neal 1964 Best Actress Hud
Julie Christie 1966 Best Actress Darling
George Kennedy 1968 Best Supporting Actor Cool Hand Luke
Cliff Robertson 1969 Best Actor Charly Gordon
Goldie Hawn 1970 Best Supporting Actress Cactus Flower

1972 I almost had all four.
Gene Hackman - French Connection
Jane Fonda - Klute
Cloris Leachman - The Last Picture Show
Sadly no Ben Johnson.

Posts: 4845 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Cliff Robertson's movie was just titled "Charly." It's based on the book "Flowers for Algernon." I saw "Charly" once and so long ago I don't remember it. I haven't read the book but it was recommended highly by a high school friend back then.

Yeah, Ben Johnson was a good actor. He and Gene Hackman were in "Bite the Bullet," an entertaining western.

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
A one time blacklisted actor.
Easton Press signed edition of FLOWERS FOR ALGERNON.
The first appearance of the story in the April 1959 issue of the Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction (F&SF), once a great mag but now a radical piece of left wing crud, blacklisted by ME!!!

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wow, you have it as the original short story and a signed edition plus two Cliff Robertson autograph cards? That's awesome.

I liked Robertson in "Three Days of the Condor," which as you probably know was based on the novel, "Six Days of the Condor." I read that. The movie took out most of the time Condor spent thinking and sleeping.

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I saw THREE DAYS OF THE CONDOR the movie, but never read SIX DAYS OF THE CONDOR, which makes us even.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Lots of autographs from people who won non-acting Oscars.

Quentin Tarantino, Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, Spike Jonze, Kenneth Branagh, Taika Waititi, Spike Lee, Peter Jackson all have awards for Original/Adapted Screenplay. Phil Tippett, Stan Winston and John Dykstra have SFX awards. John Williams has a Score award. Isaac Hayes has a Song award. Kevin Costner and Sydney Pollack have Best Picture and Best Director awards. Ron Howard and James Cameron have Best Director awards.

Posts: 2199 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Guillermo Del Toro has a signed card in the Inkworks "Hellboy" set and he later won Best Director for "The Shape of Water".

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Richard Fleischer won a 1947 Best Documentary Oscar for "Design for Death" (co-written by Dr. Seuss), and has a signed card in the 2001 Betty Boop set. Is there an older Oscar whose winner has a signed card?

Posts: 2199 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
I have Peter Capaldi's 2017 Leaf Accolades Autograph card. I don't know if there were other limited versions but mine is one of 25.
Way before his Doctor Who days he won an Oscar in 1995 in the "Live Action Short Film" category for Franz Kafka's 'It's a Wonderful Life'.
I got the card for my Doctor Who collection a couple of years ago, but it's one of those little quiz fact type of things too.

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Lots of autographs from people who won non-acting Oscars.

Quentin Tarantino, Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, Spike Jonze, Kenneth Branagh, Taika Waititi, Spike Lee, Peter Jackson all have awards for Original/Adapted Screenplay. Phil Tippett, Stan Winston and John Dykstra have SFX awards. John Williams has a Score award. Isaac Hayes has a Song award. Kevin Costner and Sydney Pollack have Best Picture and Best Director awards. Ron Howard and James Cameron have Best Director awards.

Jaime Ray Newman who played in season one of The Punisher has only two awards. One is an Oscar for Best Live Action Short Film.

I have Richard Fleischer....should have rolled back a couple more years.

Posts: 4845 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Bret McKenzie (Figwit from Lord of the Rings) won an Oscar for Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song The Muppets 2011

Picture of bone
posted Hide Post
Good thread. I used to collect Oscar winners too. I had 95% of these at one point.

Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Mahershala Ali, Forest Whitaker, Jennifer Lawrence, Kobe Bryant, Christopher Plummer, Cate Blanchett, Natalie Portman, Tommy Lee Jones, Denzel Washinton, Michael Caine, George Clooney, Tim Robbins, Richard Dreyfuss, Ben Kingsley, Kevin Spacey, Jamie Foxx, Jeff Bridges, Gary Oldman, Maggie Smith, Hilary Swank, Halle Berry, Christoph Waltz, J.K. Simmons, Louise Fletcher, Jim Broadbent.

Posts: 78 | Location: Australia | Registered: August 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Great list! I only have Caine, Oldman, Dreyfuss, and Broadbent from it, but I'd like to have them all.

Jennifer Hudson won for "Dreamgirls" and she has a signed card in an American Idol set.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
F. Murray Abraham, who won for 1984's Amadeus, is in The Complete Star Trek Movies. I think he is also in the "one and done" group, as I know of no other autograph card for him.

For some reason that Jennifer Hudson American Idol card was less than $20 for years and years. Maybe it went up now with her new show and all.

Posts: 10374 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

For some reason that Jennifer Hudson American Idol card was less than $20 for years and years. Maybe it went up now with her new show and all.

Ben Kingsley was like that as well. I bought two of him and Hudson simply because I felt stupid not to pick it up at such a steal.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Ok - Updated to add honorary and humanitarian Oscars plus those I don't have in my collection. I'm sure more can be added.

Pretty sure this is the complete list from my collection.

F Murray Abraham
Ben Affleck
Maheershala Ali
Kim Basinger
Warren Beatty (cut)
Halle Berry
Cate Blanchett
Ernest Borgnine
Kenneth Branagh
Jeff Bridges
Jim Broadbent
Michael Caine
Jim Cameron
Julie Christie
Common
Kevin Costner
Geena Davis
Robert De Niro
Guilermo del Toro
Judi Dench
Laura Dern
Richard Dreyfuss
John Dykstra
Richard Fleischer
Louise Fletcher
Jane Fonda
Jamie Foxx
Whoopi Goldberg
Louis Gosset Jr
Joel Grey
Gene Hackman
Marcia Gay Hardin
Ray Harryhausen
Goldie Hawn
Isaac Hayes
Grant Heslov
Charlton Heston
Ron Howard
Jennifer Hudson
Angelica Huston
Peter Jackson
Shirley Jones
George Kennedy
Ben Kingsley
Martin Landau
Cloris Leachman
Spike Lee
Bret McKenzie
Julieanne Moore (cut)
Patricia Neal
Jamie Ray Newman
Margaret O'Brien Junior Academy Award
Gary Oldman
Tatum O'Neal
Al Pacino
Anna Paquin
Christopher Plummer
Tim Robbins
Cliff Robertson
Mickey Rooney Junior Academy Award/Honorary
Susan Sarandon
Howard Shore
JK Simmons
Hilary Swank
Tilda Swinton
Quentin Tarantino
Richard Taylor
Taika Waititi
Christoph Waltz
Donald Sutherland (Honorary)
Samuel Jackson (Honorary)
Jackie Chan (Honorary)
Steve Martin (Honorary)
James Earl Jones (Honorary)
Lauren Bacall (Honorary)
Kirk Douglas cut (Honorary)
Diahann Carroll (Honorary)
Danny Glover (Humanitarian)
Debbie Reynolds (Humanitarian)
Jerry Lewis (Humanitarian)

Not in my collection

Spike Jonze
Angelina Jolie
George Clooney
Jennifer Lawrence
Natalie Portman
Kevin Spacey
Tommy Lee Jones
John Williams
Phil Tippett
Richard Edlund
George Lucas
Sean Connery
Steven Spielberg
Ralph McQuarrie
Maggie Smith
Art Carney (cut)
Sophia Loren (cut)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
That's an impressive list!
I think I have 12 of those.
And I met one of them personally!

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
That's an impressive list!
I think I have 12 of those.
And I met one of them personally!

I have met Ernest Borgnine, Martin Landau and Richard Dreyfuss. Didn't get any of them to sign anything Oscar releated. Wink

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
You can get Kevin Spacey to sign a card for you if you let him put his hand on your knee.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Emma Thompson has a screen writing Oscar and a cut signature card, doesn't she?