Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Oscar Winners and Autograph Cards
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oscar Winners and Autograph Cards
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Trying to remember super limited cards like "cuts" and 1/1s is hard, but one Oscar category that has a lot of bigger names that may have signed something, or may will sign something, is Best Song.

Here's just some better-known people who won an Oscar for a movie song:

Isaac Hayes, Keith Carradine. Paul Williams, Peter Allen, Burt Bacharach, Christopher Cross, Irene Cara, Stevie Wonder, Lionel Ritchie, Carly Simon, Bruce Springsteen. Elton John. Phil Collins, Bob Dylan, Eminem, Annie Lennox, Melissa Etheridge, Randy Newman, Sam Smith, Lady Gaga and Billie Eilish. There are quite a few older names too.

I don't know if anybody there has turned up in music sets or on Pop Century/Americana "cuts".

Posts: 10377 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
You can get Kevin Spacey to sign a card for you if you let him put his hand on your knee.

Big Grin Big Grin Hey! At todays prices that might just turn out to be a good deal!!

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Emma Thompson has a screen writing Oscar and a cut signature card, doesn't she?

It's possible, there was nothing in HP. I have some of the old Pop Century checklist somewhere I can take a look at.

Posts: 4847 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
For some reason Irene Cara sticks out in my mind as having some cuts but I can't find them.

Yeah, the cuts are a bit of a wild card in the process. If ya can't find a checklist you just gotta claim it when you see it. To my understanding even some of the checklists aren't completely accurate.

I did just find a sophia loren cut from this years pop century. I know George C Scott had some several years ago. Not sure if we count him as an Oscar Winner or not. Wink

Found a 1 of 1 Clark Gable, authenticated.

And the question if 1 of 1's should be included at all? Unless 10 releases over the years all of their 1 of 1's of the same celebrity. Or they released 20 last year and forgot one so they tossed it in this year. Or do we do a pure list of no cuts and a dirty list with them?

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Trying to remember super limited cards like "cuts" and 1/1s is hard, but one Oscar category that has a lot of bigger names that may have signed something, or may will sign something, is Best Song.

Here's just some better-known people who won an Oscar for a movie song:

Isaac Hayes, Keith Carradine. Paul Williams, Peter Allen, Burt Bacharach, Christopher Cross, Irene Cara, Stevie Wonder, Lionel Ritchie, Carly Simon, Bruce Springsteen. Elton John. Phil Collins, Bob Dylan, Eminem, Annie Lennox, Melissa Etheridge, Randy Newman, Sam Smith, Lady Gaga and Billie Eilish. There are quite a few older names too.

I don't know if anybody there has turned up in music sets or on Pop Century/Americana "cuts".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

Posts: 4847 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Just found Margaret O'Brien in 2008 Americana. Won Junior Academy Award in 1945

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
2023 Oscar buzz has a few card names floating around.

Brendan Fraser, Michelle Yeoh, Sadie Sink, Ke Huy Quan, Hugh Jackman, Angela Bassett.

Just realized Yeoh is in the next 4 Avatar films.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
If Yeoh had gotten her start in Western films she would have made the top of the "A" list a long time ago, but the Asian movies both made her a star and held her back. It's nice to see her in the solo spotlight now. She will be nominated for all the awards, and in an easier year, she might even win them. I think Blanchett in "Tar" may be too strong a contender to beat, but I have collected Yeoh's autograph cards for years.

And yes, her earlier Bond cards have a much longer and better-looking signature than on her newer Star Trek Discovery cards. That's what comes with success, shortened autographs. Wink

Posts: 10377 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

And yes, her earlier Bond cards have a much longer and better-looking signature than on her newer Star Trek Discovery cards. That's what comes with success, shortened autographs. Wink

I have two of the older Bond signatures. I did notice the shorter versions on the Star Trek cards but they are still nice. Not like Richard Dean Anderson going down to RDA. Cool

Recently saw her in Gunpowder Milkshake with Lena Headey and Karen Gillan. Not much for originality but it was a fun watch.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
2023 Oscar buzz has a few card names floating around.

Brendan Fraser, Michelle Yeoh, Sadie Sink, Ke Huy Quan, Hugh Jackman, Angela Bassett.

Just realized Yeoh is in the next 4 Avatar films.

Also, Naomi Ackie is being mentioned as a potential Oscar contender for her role as Whitney Houston in a biopic being released Dec. 21st. She’s signed for Star Wars.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
I saw THREE DAYS OF THE CONDOR the movie, but never read SIX DAYS OF THE CONDOR, which makes us even.

Just watch the movie twice. That'll give you six full days.

Posts: 2200 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane:

Also, Naomi Ackie is being mentioned as a potential Oscar contender for her role as Whitney Houston in a biopic being released Dec. 21st. She’s signed for Star Wars.

From the director of Bohemian Rhapsody. Will most likely be a factual mess but still looks like it may be a pretty good movie. Her career seems to be doing well, already have one of the SW Masterworks cards in my collection.