Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    What ever happened to pogs?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What ever happened to pogs?
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted
It just occurred to me the othe4r day that for a short time in the early 90's there was a fad in collecting/playing pogs. As I recall there was some kind of game where you had a larger pice of round cardboard called a 'slammer'. I have no idea how the game went but I do know that today pogs are an essential part of collecting Coca-cola, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and (I think) even Star Trek. Anyone got any better information about this little round cardboard 'thingys'. I also know that Ultra-Pro actually made special kind of pages to hold them too!

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
They made them for Star Wars, DC Comics, The Simpsons, and Spawn from Image Comics, too. The ones from Skybox were called SKYCAPS and the ones for Spawn were called Spogz. I think they're called Tazos in Australia, and I've seen many popular subjects on those as well.
I think they are still popular and the game is still played in some parts of the world.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think they are still popular and the game is still played in some parts of the world.

Ve4ry knowledgeable as usual!! But anyone got any idea how the game was played?? What was a 'slammer'$

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I used to collect the UK Star Wars ones and still have loads of them. Also the Looney Tunes ones, I remember there being lots of those.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Collect-A-Card used to include a pog in each pack of Coca Cola cards. As I recall they had wartime service women drinking a Coke on them. An early issue of NSU had pog promos inside.

The Slammers were heavier pogs, made of plastic, or even aluminum. The game was you would set a stack of pogs on the ground, and your opponent would slam his Slammer on the top, all the pogs that were flipped upside down were his. Of course, most pogs wre too nice to want to play with, so as mentioned, there were ways to store your pogs, in card sheets and a plastic tube.

You could buy these things in toy stores, a big bin of pogs, most with foil stickers on them, for kids to go through. I still have a bunch of these in a box somewhere.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Marvel had done quite a few sets of pogs ,
there was a Ghost Rider set with 120 pogs
There was a Spiderman Set with 120 pogs
there was an X-Men set of 120 pogs
There was a set of ironman and Fantastic Four pogs = these were based on the fantastic four ironman power hour cartoon , those were each 25 pog sets

They also had special foil pogs and both plastic and aluminum slammers
( in the X-Men sets the slammers were called adamantium slammers and had Wolverine featured on those ), I've also seen an Age of Apocalypse Cyclops slammer - metal , also seen metal Venom Slammers from the Spiderman series

there were tons of plastic Marvel slammers and at 1 time Kaybee Toys used to sell pog binders to hold all the slammers and Ultra Pro made pog pages

these were popular back in the Early 90's

I remember Hi C fruit punch had a mail away set of Marvel Pogs
Hardees had a set of X-Men pogs
Targets food courts had a set of 3 pog sheets - all x-men

I used to collect all of the Marvel related pogs ( back in the day )and I probably still have a couple of tubes full of these kicking around someplace ...

Posts: 1176 | Location: Rochester , NY , USA | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I still have a bunch of them including some rare promo ones. They went the way of the beanie baby, pet rock, 8 track and beta VCR. I always thought they were way overpriced to begin with. I'm glad it was just a passing fad I collect enough stuff as it is. If anyone wants to trade pogs for cards let me know.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FRANK AMICO,

Posts: 971 | Location: WESTWOOD NJ | Registered: May 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
Wow, I remember playing with these as a kid in primary (elementary) school, what a blast from the past!

I seem to recall I also made my own slammer once out of card!

Posts: 1959 | Location: UK | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
There were Football pogs too

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR2D2
posted Hide Post
Remember these fondly, all the rage when I was at school. Very simple concept and played into the pocket money market, very well marketed. I dumped what I had left of these on Ebay a few years back.

Pog was actually a brand name and there were many hundreds of unofficial pog/ milkcap sets produced the world over as well those produced under the World Pog Federation banner (official Pogs). There are whole sites dedicated to this area of collecting.

I got into collecting the Star Wars set (Canada Games) many years ago. Although there only 8 kini images to collect there are many different colour variations to track down. Some were allegedly a lot rarer than others. I am still after a number of them, I think there is only one colour variation I do not have an example of now.

FYI
Kini = Slammer
Cardboard discs = Milkcaps

Idea was to flip over your opponents stack of cardboard milkcaps using the plastic slammer/kini, the winner was the one who flipped over the most caps. Officially I think you were supposed to keep the caps of your opponents that you flipped over. Of course you could also trade milkcaps and kinis to complete sets too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JR2D2,

Posts: 318 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: March 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
Ha ha..I just saw a huge book of POGs this weekend at the flea market. $10 for a huge folder of them. I almost got it then thought better of it.

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BILLZEE
posted Hide Post
Nobody has mentioned the 007 Goldeneye pogs that were done by Merlin in the UK? These are really nice!

I kept a wrapper and the B+W insert card with the pogs. Ultrapro used to make pages for pogs too.

Posts: 2236 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
As part of my DC collection I have lots of different sets. I still see new ones being made and sold in various South American countries, but I suspect they are being made for the collector market rather than as a game - I only ever see complete sets, the pogs are plastic of mixed plastic, and there's no packs or rules or slammers.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Pogs were also used at different times by Taco Bell, Wendy's, Long John Silver's, & Pizza Hut as kid's meal premiums.

I have a large binder full of Disney themed pogs made in Mexico. Still enjoy looking at the pictures.

Posts: 717 | Location: Washington, PA | Registered: June 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post
Still have all of mine. I really liked the Lady Death ones. Need a few and have many to trade.
Ace Surf

Posts: 2894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of geoffbovey
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised none of you have mentioned this site: http://www.milkcapmania.co.uk/

It has quite an extensive digital collection of milkcaps, pogs, slammers, etc., along with checklists, and so forth. And....whomever is running this site is updating it frequently to this day. Check it out!

Geoff

Posts: 617 | Location: Sandy, UT | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by geoffbovey:
I'm surprised none of you have mentioned this site: http://www.milkcapmania.co.uk/
Geoff

Wow! Now that's a comprehensive site! Anything you ever wanted to know about pogs is right here!

Picture of FilmMkr
posted Hide Post
I just looked through my pogs the other day! My favorite are the Jurassic Park SkyCaps with Holograms. Hardees also had an Apollo 13 promotion. The pog holders joined together to make the space shuttle. Burger King gave out Disney's Gargoyles ones with a kids meal.

Posts: 10 | Location: United States | Registered: January 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I collected a nices set from Hardees. Theme was Applo 13 movie and came with Saturn 5 rocket for storage. Very good marketing!

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post