Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    What ever happened to pogs?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What ever happened to pogs?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I'm just curious, what made you guys decidento collect pogs? The game play?
I've never played pogs nor collected any of it. I find them too small to apreciate any art that may be depicted in its face. Don't get me wrong, I'm just wondering because eneryone has his own interests and just want to know the reason behind it because I never was and never found any reason for myself to collect them.

Posts: 69 | Location: Earth | Registered: November 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by juke:
I've never played pogs nor collected any of it. I find them too small to apreciate any art that may be depicted in its face. Don't get me wrong, I'm just wondering because eneryone has his own interests and just want to know the reason behind it because I never was and never found any reason for myself to collect them.

My core collection is anything DC (except action figures). I have since added other card series, but my DC collection has cards, phonecards, pogs, games, stamps, statues, stickers and all sorts of stuff. Pogs was simply part of that and I have never expanded anything outside of DC except for trading cards.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by juke:

I'm a completist!! If the set included images printed on the side of a beans can I would have to have it! For the Coke set pogs are an absolute gimme!

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FilmMkr
posted Hide Post
Well, I started collecting them because I was a kid and they featured all the subjects I loved. Pretty much the same reason I started collecting trading cards.

Even the subjects that weren't of any particular interest were dynamic and eye catching. Lots of foil, lots of holograms, a variety of different materials(wood, metal,some were laminated, some were waxy, etc) They were also pretty cheap. I never really played the game, just collected.

Posts: 10 | Location: United States | Registered: January 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I collect all Topps Star Wars cards, so I had to get the pog set. That was well made using art mostly from the Star Wars Galaxy card sets and there were 10 foil chase pogs. The Star Wars set from Canada issued around the same time was even better.

I also collect Simpsons, so when Skybox made a pog set based on the Simpsons, I had to have those, too. Those have these really neat "Hypno-Slammers" which are plastic with a little nub on the bottom so you could spin them on any flat surface for a cool visual effect. Where Simpsons are concerned, the Australian Tazos are really cool as they are magic motion lenticular.

There was a more recent Simpsons game that used discs the shape and size of pogs but with Velcro on the back of each, so you could pick them up with a Velcro coated bouncy-ball. Those were called "pickers" and that's an especially nice set. The pickers were issued in packs, but with some of them available only in Australian food products, so it's a tough set to finish. There was also one standard sized sticker card per pack. They also made a collector album and a Metal storage tin, like a lunch box, both of which are decorated with exquisite art that I'm pretty sure was made specifically for the set.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FilmMkr:
Well, I started collecting them because I was a kid and they featured all the subjects I loved. Pretty much the same reason I started collecting trading cards.

Even the subjects that weren't of any particular interest were dynamic and eye catching. Lots of foil, lots of holograms, a variety of different materials(wood, metal,some were laminated, some were waxy, etc) They were also pretty cheap. I never really played the game, just collected.

Oh, I see. I didn't know that they were also released with materials such as wood and metal. That's kinda cool. Another question, when you mentioned hologram, were these made to pogs as well?

Posts: 69 | Location: Earth | Registered: November 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
At the peak of popularity, for several months NSU added them to the focus, more than just the promos Don noted. Definitely there was crossover appeal. Today we have GetGlue disks, but they don't have slammers.

For a while there was a trademark controversy over the name "Pog", which is why you saw some series with "caps" or something similar in their names.

I had thought that tazos were just another variant name, but originally they were supposed to be notched to allow you to build Lego-like structures. But I think Frito-Lay extended the formats (and to quote Wikipedia, "... to resemble more of a collectible card").

Frank: I still have my beta VCR right here because I lost too much quality trying to re-record onto VHS. Now I guess that was a waste of archiving time!

I still haven't heard anybody here say they played games with them. I was distracted imagining Sean drawing a circle in the sand and flipping bean cans around.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Zane DeVan
posted Hide Post
Here's an old sell sheet of some pogs
s1352.photobucket.com/user/zdevan/media/image_zps6fa92563.jpg.html] [/URL]

Posts: 424 | Location: Littleton, CO. | Registered: April 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was distracted imagining Sean drawing a circle in the sand and flipping bean cans around.

Well actually I would have said "beer" cans but this is a family orientated site and we must never allow mention of the demon drink in front of sensitive American children.
BTW if you can find time to post on this thread why can't you answer your emails? Wave Wave Wave

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Wow, Super Refractor Slammers. Betcha those are worth big bucks now! Big Grin

Thankfully timing made me miss the whole pog era, but really wasn't this a flat version of marbles or bottlecaps with better advertising? Wink

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
At least fifty cents!

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Wow, Super Refractor Slammers. Betcha those are worth big bucks now! Big Grin

Thankfully timing made me miss the whole pog era, but really wasn't this a flat version of marbles or bottlecaps with better advertising? Wink

Posts: 971 | Location: WESTWOOD NJ | Registered: May 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by allender:

I had thought that tazos were just another variant name, but originally they were supposed to be notched to allow you to build Lego-like structures.

The UK star wars ones done for the special edition release were notched, we had big balls made out of fixing them together.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Pogs were a fad that didn't last long, I remember having some football ones, Judge Dredd (including one of Scot Wilson) and the Jerry Anderson space precinct, they were actually a nuisance that replaced cards, what about Tazo's ? what ere they ? Star Wars and Looney Tunes, in crisp packets.

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

I had thought that tazos were just another variant name, but originally they were supposed to be notched to allow you to build Lego-like structures.

The UK star wars ones done for the special edition release were notched, we had big balls made out of fixing them together.

OK, who else read that last sentance twice? Big Grin

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

Yeah Raven, but what you thought he said he meant is probably not what he thought he might have posted.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btlfannz:

Yeah Raven, but what you thought he said he meant is probably not what he thought he might have posted.[/QUOTE]

I knew what wolfie meant, it's now that I'm lost. Big Grin

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btlfannz:
BTW if you can find time to post on this thread why can't you answer your emails? Wave Wave Wave

Depends on whether you send me into a continuing research project by describing cards that nobody else has ever reported seeing. Red Face Roll Eyes Thumb Up

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kane1
posted Hide Post
In the '90s Frito-Lays for Puerto Rico (not sure about other markets) made different pogs series. If my mind don't fail me. One series was based in the Tiny Tunes. I'm not sure if the pogs still in the closet.

In the '90s I bought a pack from Spawn pogs just for curiosity.

Also Ultra Pro made protective sheet pages for the pogs. My brother and I buy some pages in the comic store (long time it is gone).

Posts: 242 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
THERE BACK!!!!! Sort of...

http://io9.com/japans-insane-m...game-is-h-1519869889

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
I remember these being the biggest Pre Pokemon fad in my school. You got one free with each bag of Walkers branded (Various eg Wotsits, Skips, French Fries etc) crisps (that's chips for our US friends).

I know the Slammer had to be bought separately.

HOW TO PLAY: Well, as kids we stacked them all up Jenga style and took it in turns to 'slam' the stack with the slammer. The catch was that it was in a 'circled' area [usually drawn in on the sidewalk with a rock) and you only won the pogs that fell outside the circle. The rest had to be stacked back up. The winner was whoever slammed the most pogs outside the circle. You had to slam 'right' as well. If you knocked it over in like a line, you didn't get any and the slammer went to the next player. My memory on this i hazy as it was about 15 years ago (and a short lived fad of my childhood). That's how I remember playing it - Like marbles it caused a lot of 'you won but it's mine, my mom paid for that' or 'you stole my Pog!' or 'but that was my favourite' stupid kid arguments.

Wotsits has their own version with the 'Wotsit monster' mascot they had going for a while.

I bought some cool 'holographic?' one where the picture changed? Like Gross Out cards type graphics.

Had the Star War promotional ones too from various food brands - These were TAZOS which was Walkers crisps/chips companys own version of POGS.

Chuppa Chups candy/lollipops came out with their own brand too that were slightly more expensive I recall.

DOES ANYONE KNOW why some pogs had like perforated edges? Like you could 'connect' them to other style pogs? These were Star Wars and some other famous brands in limited food promotions? Different from the 'whole round' kind we played with.

Well that's all I can remember for now. Honestly, aside from the collect ability the game sucked haha. Pokemon has much happier memories - boy do I wish I'd kept hold of those...1st gen.

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post