Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Wild Wild West Kevin Kline Autograph Card
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wild Wild West Kevin Kline Autograph Card
 Login/Join

Picture of TDSA
posted
Does anyone know how rare or the price for a Wild Wild West Kevin Kline autograph card? I ask because I have not seen one go up for auction in a year.

Posts: 163 | Location: San Antonio, Texas, United States | Registered: March 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
It's a tough card. I remember seeing one up for sale many years ago, but Kline has a lousy autograph and it was pretty high at the time. It wasn't worth it to me, but you're right, both the Kline A1 and Hayak A15 must be very short because they are hard to find.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That was my first experience of being let down by a seller who pre-sold the cards Frown . To this day I don't know whether they just did not pull any or if once they realised how rare those two cards were decided to say they did not find any and then sell them later at a higher price Mad .

I believe they were redemptions as well rather than pack inserted which often makes them harder to find once the company stops production like Skybox did. Unlike Inkworks they actually appear to have destroyed any remaining autos rather than selling them.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TDSA
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the replies and information on the Kline autograph card.

Posts: 163 | Location: San Antonio, Texas, United States | Registered: March 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
There's actually one Hayak autograph up for sale you-know-where now. Been awhile since I saw one. Tough card.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
My memories of the set were that it was an incredibly poor seller, and pretty much the end of the line for the original incarnation of Skybox trading cards. (Upper Deck purchased Fleer/Skybox a few years later and have revived some of their more popular lines).

Anyway, I remember them closing out the boxes at Comic-Con and in an unusual move, they had the actual autographs with them so you could redeem any redemption cards you found in your packs instantly, without having to mail them in. (They may have already been expired). They pointed out Hayek, Branagh, and Kline were available if you got lucky.

I was obviously hoping for one of the biggies, but I also wanted a Sonnenfeld (the Coen Brothers' cinematographer before moving to the director's chair himself) and character actor M. Emmett Walsh. I bought 2-3 boxes from them (they were $20 each, I think) and did get a Sonnenfeld, and a hand-numbered Will Smith Platinum Portrait, but nothing else of note.
Currently, you can see large lots of autograph cards of lesser names for less than $1 per card for sale online.
It was pretty much the end of the line for Skybox anyway, but this set must have been a pretty big nail in the coffin for the non-sports division. They had to have lost a lot of money on that one.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TDSA
posted Hide Post
I thought I refresh this thread. Has anyone seen a Kevin Kline autograph card on eBay? If so what was the ending price?

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Last couple I saw was between $200 and $250.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TDSA:
I thought I refresh this thread. Has anyone seen a Kevin Kline autograph card on eBay? If so what was the ending price?

There's one on for $90 currently.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
That's a very good price for a tough card and the only certified Kline autograph card that I can recall. But I think demand is just light at this point. There was a time when I would have picked it up myself, but now I guess the magic's gone. Wink

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raj:

Can't see any that are selling or have sold for that price. You have a link?

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
quote:

Can't see any that are selling or have sold for that price. You have a link?

You know how some days you just zone out? I did. It was a Branagh auto card that I was looking at.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
You know how some days you just zone out? I did. It was a Branagh auto card that I was looking at.

Yeah I don't think I've ever seen the Kline auto listed below $200, but you never know when people decide to sell. On the other hand I know for sure that I spent less than $90 for my Branagh. I'm thinking it was around $60, but it was quite awhile back.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
I paid $59 for the Kline auto and $33.75 for the Branagh auto back in 2006.
Plus $12.19 for Sonnefeld, $14.19 for Frederique Van Der Wal and $8.05 for Musetta Vander.
All from the same seller over 3 days.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
The Wild West common autographs were and still are dirt cheap, but the Branagh, Kline and Hayak seemed to have held their price.

Raj, I don't know if you buy off the US eBay or eBay UK, but one thing that I have noticed from seeing UK members post on Card Talk is that they seem to come up with lower prices for certain cards and have more offers of certain cards. Because of the exchange rate and shipping I never tried to buy on eBay UK, even when I was on eBay, but I always thought I could do better there for some cards, including that Inkworks dump still lingering.

Maybe the US market is much bigger as a card source, but there does seem to be some advantages to having easy access to non-US sellers in some cases as well.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
I used to buy a lot of trading cards, comics and original comic art from the US. It used to be cheaper to do that than even buying in the UK.

In the past, duty/VAT wasn't charged on the shipping cost but it is now. Shipping cost from North America has sky-rocketed.

These days I buy mostly from Europe. From next year, I'll probably stick to the UK as Brexit changes will mean we'll probably have to pay duty/VAT on stuff coming from the continent.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A Wild, Wild West Kenneth Branagh A3 auto went unsold twice at 49.99 yesterday and late last month. I haven't seen a Kevin Kline autograph sell this year.

The Salma Hayek A15 has a bit of a range from $465 to $1400 with another sale of $1094. The $465 sale looks like a great deal as the card appeared to be in slightly better condition than the $1400 one.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
A Wild, Wild West Kenneth Branagh A3 auto went unsold twice at 49.99 yesterday and late last month. I haven't seen a Kevin Kline autograph sell this year.

The Salma Hayek A15 has a bit of a range from $465 to $1400 with another sale of $1094. The $465 sale looks like a great deal as the card appeared to be in slightly better condition than the $1400 one.

Branagh wasn't that hard to find and I'm not sure if it was ever near $100 despite being the 3rd best autograph. Nowadays I'm not sure he has much of a demand despite being a well known actor and director and remaking those Agatha Christie films. Some celebrities just don't mix well on cards.

I'd say the same thing about Kline, but his card was always tough. Hayek is a little different because her card was possibly tougher than Kline's and there's always demand for the leading ladies among card collectors.

I think people who really wanted them picked them up already and enough time has passed to dampen the desire of people who don't have them. They'd rather spend that kind of money on more recent autograph cards of hotter celebrities. In other words, they have peaked to me.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
An incomplete set of 14 of the 15 autos sold on ebay on August 22, 2021 for $ 330.00.

It DID include the Kline auto.

It had all except the Hayak card.

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
An incomplete set of 14 of the 15 autos sold on ebay on August 22, 2021 for $ 330.00.

It DID include the Kline auto.

It had all except the Hayak card.

Information I could have used on August 21st!!!!!

I am so bad at keeping up with cards I want.