Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Fraudulent signautres
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fraudulent signautres
 Login/Join

Picture of STCardGeek
posted
This is likely in the wrong area and as a moderator I should be ashamed of myself, should I alert myself too Smile
But, this was just kinda interesting and there are cards in there, so.....:
http://cheezburger.com/706309/...spot-fake-autographs

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
That is a great link and I'm so happy you shared it with us. Mark Hamill has been a terrific signer for a very long time even though he has been in great demand. He inscribes a lot of stuff with off the cuff remarks and he obviously cares about his fans being ripped off. I wish more celebrities would do this. Just call up eBay when they see these junk autographs and get as many pulled as they can.

But it's up to collectors to also protect themselves and not fall victim to that old wishful thinking. Remember that the bigger the star the more fakes you will have and some stars just never sign, so 99% of what you see for certain people are fakes. And if it's cheap, it's a fake. If it has a "letter of authenticity" from someone you never heard of or can no longer verify, it's a fake with a fake "letter of authenticity". Big Grin

Go for the certified autograph card when you can. It may not be full proof, but it is the best guarantee you can get. Don't put all your faith in grading services either, they have been wrong too. Just be careful, learn as much as you can before you buy and then enjoy your autograph collection. Smile

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Really cool that Hamill is willing to do this and those 70s Star Wars cards he added messages to are hilarious.

As he says himself: "memorise the real signature and you can spot the phonies yourself". It amazes me how many people buy custom 'autographed' trading cards on eBay that are clearly fakes.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Great link. Nice to see that Mr. Hammill has not let his celebrity status go to his head too much. Big Grin

Posts: 1458 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I met him years ago at WonderCon as he needed space for poster signings for a charity. Turns out I had Star Wars trading card with me and asked if I wanted anything. You bet I did!! Not only did he sign my card, but personalized it and gave the biggest hug and kiss afterward. Mark Hamill is/was a real sweetie!

Posts: 806 | Location: san diego | Registered: December 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post