Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Promo Card Zoom Meeting
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Promo Card Zoom Meeting
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted
To welcome the new year, I would like the collective's opinion about scheduling a monthly ZOOM meeting dealing strictly and exclusively with promotional cards and their progeny.

I realize that there are several hardcore promo card collectors out there but I also know that there is a dearth of knowledge about this genre of trading cards in general and a lot of collectors are interested in learning more.

So, I'd like to propose a one hour monthly ZOOM conference during which participants can ask questions to a panel of experts about the field of collecting promo cards in general or relating to any cards they've wondered about but can't necessarily find info on from 1988 to the present.

If this is something that you would be interested in, please vote YES in this poll. If this posting receives at least 15 YES votes by 5:00 PM Eastern Standard Time January 15th, 2021, I will organize the ZOOM meeting to be held toward the end of January. Of course, the meeting will be free and open to everyone.

I have already worked out the details and logistics of the meeting but will wait and see the results of this poll to publish the information.

Question:
Are you interested in participating in a ZOOM online meeting to discuss and learn about "promo cards"?

Choices:
Yes
No
Not Sure

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
I'm interested, and I'd like to hear more about the plans for such a meeting. You mean like people ask a panel questions via video or by messaging and a moderator relays questions? The Virtual Philly show was the latter.

Or would a group of people be on camera showing cards ask seeing what anyone knows about them?

Or do we watch you eat pizza in you t-shirt for an hour?

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm interested but am also not sure. I would have to hire a 12-year-old to set it up for me because I've seen people do it on TV but I don't know what button to press.

My other reservation is that someone will likely have a question about a card that will have at least two others scrambling to go find it which might take up the whole hour or longer.

In any case I have lots of questions.

Jess

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I am interested but like Jess i will need someone to coach me
I could not get hooked up to the earlier one held by Harris
But will get a nerd to try and sort me out before the 15th if I can I am in.
It is a good idea
Piko

Posts: 759 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AWR
posted Hide Post
Think this is a great idea. However it is done (panel or just a straight zoom with everybody), would be great to connect with others

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post
Will there be a link?

Posts: 2894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Yes, there will be a ZOOM access passcode supplied to those interested. ZOOM is rather easy to use once you have the info required to access the meeting. Once I have reached the necessary number of participants, each participant will be asked to email me and I will provide you with the exact details of the time, date and login info. ZOOM can handle dozens of people in 1 meeting and should be a LOT of fun!! Meanwhile, you may want to download ZOOM in anticipation of our first conference. See you soon!!!!

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post
The place where I was working do these every month. They send a link and we just click on it. Must sign up for the app. first.

PS. what is the number on the Disney Classic Collectable Cards widevision cel "Jasmin" card?

Posts: 2894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Interested depending on time in US compared to UK Big Grin

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Ok I am going to try and get the zoom app hooked up to my computer .
But I am told that I have to have a pretty modern Windows installed 'I think I have windows 10 but not sure anyone know how modern you have to have your computer updated too to be able to get it to accept the Zoom app.
If I can get it sorted within the next week I am in
Im sure now that is why I could get into Harrises Oct one
Not being a nerd really helps to stuff things up

Posts: 759 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Don't waste your time my friend. as of right now, we haven't yet reached the 15 collector magical number and tomorrow is the deadline. So it's doubtful the meeting will occur.

Picture of AWR
posted Hide Post
Why the 15 person threshold? You can hold a zoom meeting with 1 other person if you want.

I say go ahead and hold the zoom meeting for whoever said they wanted to join. Then we can all post about how great it was and what we learned from each other and then see if others then want to get in on the fun.

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stevesaunders
posted Hide Post
Hi Promoking,
I voted Yes and would welcome the opportunity to meet up with other Card Talk members interested in promo cards, even if we did not meet the 15 members minimum. Consider going forward with the Zoom meeting even though it would be with a smaller group. I agree with AWR. It could generate further interest once a schedule is up and running.

Posts: 13 | Location: North Chatham, MA | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Folks,
My hope was that we were going to get some new collectors interested in this ZOOM meeting. unfortunately, and I say this with the utmost appreciation for those who voted yes, those that did are the same cabal of members who already love this sub-genre of card collecting, as much as I do. I wanted a meeting to introduce new blood that could be initiated into the arcane rituals and mores of collecting promo cards. Seriously though, since only veterans responded affirmatively, I would really enjoy talking to each of you, many again, and I'll announce the date and instructions.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
I have scheduled the ZOOM meeting on this topic for Sunday, February 7th, at 7:30 PM Eastern Standard Time(USA). If you are interested in participating, please forward an email to: promoking@aol.com indicating your desire to be included. Once you do so, I will send you a return email with the Conference ID and password to access the meeting. The meeting will last approximately an hour and will begin promptly at that time. Since I am not an IT guru, please don't ask me any technical questions beforehand.

There will be a moderator and panelists who will answer questions about anything having to do with promo; sample; prototype; test; premium; mail away/in cards and any other cards generally included under the "promo card" umbrella. Since time is limited, if you have any questions about a specific promotional card or set and you would like to show it or them during the meeting, please upload the card(s) before the gathering and not during. The meeting is open to everyone. I look forward to it and to making new friends and seeing old ones!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: promoking,

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cardscout182
posted Hide Post
G'day Albert, I just replied to your email, sounds great mate.

Posts: 707 | Location: sydney nsw australia | Registered: February 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Promoking,

Are you aware that the meeting is scheduled to start an hour after the start of the Super Bowl (roughly sometime in the second quarter)?

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
I have scheduled the ZOOM meeting on this topic for Sunday, February 7th, at 7:30 PM Eastern Standard Time(USA). If you are interested in participating, please forward an email to: promoking@aol.com indicating your desire to be included. Once you do so, I will send you a return email with the Conference ID and password to access the meeting. The meeting will last approximately an hour and will begin promptly at that time. Since I am not an IT guru, please don't ask me any technical questions beforehand.

There will be a moderator and panelists who will answer questions about anything having to do with promo; sample; prototype; test; premium; mail away/in cards and any other cards generally included under the "promo card" umbrella. Since time is limited, if you have any questions about a specific promotional card or set and you would like to show it or them during the meeting, please upload the card(s) before the gathering and not during. The meeting is open to everyone. I look forward to it and to making new friends and seeing old ones!!

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately that's 12.30am in the UK.

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Hi Promoking,

Are you aware that the meeting is scheduled to start an hour after the start of the Super Bowl (roughly sometime in the second quarter)?

Jess

That was the first thing i thought of when i saw the date and time. Eek

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
The ZOOM meeting has been rescheduled for Monday, February 8th, at 6:00 PM Eastern Standard Time. Please follow the steps outlined in the previous post to receive your invitation. This 1 hour meeting is open to anyone who is interested to learn about or discuss all forms of promotional cards.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: promoking,