Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    It seems I've bought my last ever Rittenhouse case
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It seems I've bought my last ever Rittenhouse case
 Login/Join

posted
Well, after over a decade of purchasing cases of Rittenhouse product from UK dealers, I may have just bought my last, with the release of Complete Star Trek TNG Series 2.

I had a couple of boxes which were short autographs and, apparently due to the product not being officially licenced to the UK, there's nothing that Rittenhouse can do about it. I've also got a dinged Communicator Pin card, which I would've sold on Ebay, and I'm assuming that that can't be replaced either.

Now, I can't hold it against Rittenhouse if their licencing prevents them from dealing directly with UK customers on this product, but it does mean that, in future, I'll just be buying the individual cards I want from sellers on Ebay.

Not a good result for the guy I've been buying cases from for the last few years.

I will say this for Amy at Rittenhouse - the customer service there has always been top-notch.

I'll miss the thrill of opening cases, wondering what cards I might pull, but I just can't risk pulling damaged cards which I can't get replaced, or not pulling something which is "guaranteed" on the box.

As an aside - with UK retail laws - who takes the hit on this?

Posts: 213 | Location: SY, England | Registered: October 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
Well, that's unwelcome news.
Their online shop doesn't have the usual disclaimer about only being available in the US & Canada.

I hadn't ordered any boxes yet and I guess I have to think about it now.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I noticed that there's no disclaimer either, but here's the exact wording from their email back to me...

"We are sorry, but we can no longer fulfill requests for replacement cards from overseas customers who do not purchase product directly from Rittenhouse. Unfortunately, our license does not include the UK for this product. We regret these circumstances and any inconvenience this may cause."

Posts: 213 | Location: SY, England | Registered: October 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Have you tried to see if your dealer can do the replacement request? If he's the direct buyer, maybe he can facilitate the replacements.

Seems like a no brainer that he would try, since it means he might keep your business.

This is indeed the first I've heard of having to buy the product direct from RA to get customer service. Rather odd... Shake Head

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kane1
posted Hide Post
Interesting.

Posts: 242 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dealer bought his cases from a distributor, so there's a small chain to get back to Rittenhouse.

And, to be honest, I don't see the point of all that messing around for what would end up to be two $6 autograph cards. Between the case purchase and a dozen or so Ebay buys I'm now only short a couple of VL autos and an EL - the chances of Rittenhouse sending those out are slim-to-none.

What surprises me, though, is that in order to get the replacement cards I *would* have to go through my dealer who then would have to go through his distributor who, themselves, may have another distributor. What surprises me is that I can't, as a buyer, go directly to the manufacturer in this case. (Pardon the pun)

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by simon1978:
I noticed that there's no disclaimer either, but here's the exact wording from their email back to me...

"We are sorry, but we can no longer fulfill requests for replacement cards from overseas customers who do not purchase product directly from Rittenhouse. Unfortunately, our license does not include the UK for this product. We regret these circumstances and any inconvenience this may cause."

Sounds like a catch-22 situation to me as if you had tried to buy direct they would have refused as they would be breaking the licence agreement by selling to anyone outside the USA.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
If they do not have a U.K. (or International) licence for Trek why is the Rewards available worldwide? When they state a product can't be sold worldwide they don't allow members to purchase rewards cards from those releases (Marvel).

I beleive it may be their shipping charges they charge for rewards cards ($17.50) and they are not prepared to cover the cost of sending replacements.

I was 2 autographs short from 1 of my cases so at least now I know it's not worth asking for replacements to cover the missing ones.

It seems like they feel if you are not an American purchaser they don't care.

If all American companies took that approach, American manufacturing would be in rapid decline. It's an International Market Place with the internet this is a very Insular approach to business.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: treksearcher,

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Klepsis
posted Hide Post
I doubt that the problem stems from a lack of concern for their international customers. More likely, it is a conservative approach to keep the Universal people from sueing them into bankruptcy should one of their lawyers decide that they violated the license agreement. It is unfortunate though.

Posts: 44 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: January 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The world is a smaller place,all this crazy laws are uninforcable.I've pretty much given up on Rittenhouse these days anyway..they are turning into inkworks!!

Posts: 182 | Location: runcorn | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by treksearcher:
If they do not have a U.K. (or International) licence for Trek why is the Rewards available worldwide?

The new Star Trek:TNG rewards card is not available worldwide, this looks like a new license development.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of bealay
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem on Dangerous Divas last year. My case had a box short of a sketch card - their response was verbatim what was quoted above.

My US dealer had recently sent in a claim for missing/damaged cards from his own purchase, so was reluctant to claim again so soon.

I'll only now buy mini-masters, or sketch/chase from great dealers (much like Ed, who posted above) I know and trust.

It's a shame, as these license restrictions are surely losing Rittenhouse their overseas buyers. I'm one - and the OP is another.

I also collect Black Cat cards. Yeah, I'm that guy.

Posts: 275 | Location: Norwich, UK | Registered: December 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
I doubt it's a lack of concern as well. Fo the record SkyBox did not have an international liscense for ST either. RA it seems had for awhiloe, but with 2012 doesnt. I was told NOT to sell to interntional clients by my SKybox rep, but it was clear it was a formaility. Now don't you be selling overseas....kinda thing. Never stopped me and I acted as a conduit for International users as well.
If an over seas client of mine was short or damaged. I'd find a way to help them out and am hoping to find a way to help out with the rewards card.
I know there's bigger things then us involved here but I also know overseas clients are a big part of collecting and I'd not want to see them ignored.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: STCardGeek,

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fizzbin
posted Hide Post
Are there more STCardGeeks out there it seems overseas collectors are going to NEED THEM !!!

Posts: 36 | Location: Rotterdam,The Netherlands | Registered: June 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fizzbin:
Are there more STCardGeeks out there it seems overseas collectors are going to NEED THEM !!!

Rest assured, there are plenty of Friendly Dealers™ out here just like STCardGeek that will facilitate cards going overseas.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post