Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Do Kevin Spacey 'Superman Returns' cards...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do Kevin Spacey 'Superman Returns' cards...
 Login/Join

posted
...actually exist, or are they simply a figment of my imagination..? Smile

I look pretty regularly on a certain auction site but NEVER see this card pop up... Am I right in thinking only 50 exist, or is this yet another fiction I've convinced myself of..?

And if I found one, what kind of price do these go for? Having never see one sell I simply have no idea...

Any info / views welcome Smile

Posts: 235 | Location: UK | Registered: March 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I believe that number of around 50 is probably accurate. That's the number I remember hearing years ago at least. I haven't seen one pop up lately but a couple years ago one would be listed every few months and would usually sell for around $300-$400. I actually recall one being listed a year or two ago that was "Buy It Now" $275 which lasted for almost a day. I saw it and thought about buying it probably a dozen times before it eventually sold. I still regret that a bit. Right now since one has not been listed in quite a while it may sell for well over $400 but to me, $400 would be the most I would ever consider paying for one.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Oh it exists alright, you can find the images if you Google it. How many there are is a good question, certainly I have rarely seen one come up for sale anywhere.

The NSU price guide has the Spacey listed at $705.

The Brandon Routh is listed at $435. Given the fact that Routh has pretty much disappeared, I have to wonder who would spend that much these days.

BTW, be careful when buying any high end cards, there were some fakes reported at one time.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looks like a Brandon R. auto sold recently for about $ 350

How much do you think a Kate Bosworth Lois Lane should go for ? I see a bunch unsold in the $80 range. She hasn't really had any successful films, post-Superman, to my knowledge. I could be wrong

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
OK, Kate B. has had a few noteworthy films after 2006:

She did the film "21" in 2008 which grossed 150 M and last year she did "Still Alice" with Julianne Moore, that Moore won an Oscar for

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I think Bosworth peaked around $125 pretty early. I'm actually surprised that the Routh sold for $350 recently. The autographs for Spacey and Routh were quite limited, but this release is bankrupt in terms of the Superman franchise and only Spacey has the body of work to keep the demand for his signature up there.

Routh did star in a film called Dylan Dog that was based on a comic, but it didn't lead to any sequels. It was one of those messy horror/PI/comedy hybrids that could have had some potential, but failed because it didn't know what it was supposed to be. I don't know how many people besides me ever saw it. Big Grin

Anyway the Bosworth autograph card was not that hard to get to begin with, so I would say a $50 - $60 range would be about the top for now. Should she do anything worthwhile in the future it could go up again. NSU still has it listed at $100, but I wouldn't touch that myself.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I don't mean to put the guy down but with the Routh card 99% of the value has to do with the iconic character he played as opposed to him. With Spacey it's the other way around.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Routh is Ray Palmer, the hero The Atom, on "Arrow" and he just appeared in the same role on "The Flash". During his arrival in the episode, they alluded to his having played Superman, and it was pretty funny. Those actors on the cw (and old WB) shows are usually pretty popular signers. If there's to be a TV version of the JLA, Routh should be in it as the Atom, so that does add a little cache to his resume, certainly.

While not so much being as career invigorating as starring as the greatest super-hero of them all in the biggest budget movies imaginable, haha, it's still a nice spot in the hobby.
I'm sure a lot of the value of his autorgraph in the Superman Returns is the long odds of finding one means there aren't a lot of them out there to begin with. There was going to be a follow-up set once the movie was out, a sort of victory lap like Topps was able to do with each LOTR set. Topps even issued the sell sheet for Superman Returns Update, but when the movie underwhelmed, that was cancelled. The Topps guys at comic-con back then said they didn't know what I was talking about when I mentioned it, although I suspected they did, and didn't want to say anything disparaging one of their licenses. Even so, a shame, since based on the first set, it likely would've held some nice stuff.

I still look at "Superman Returns" as part 3 of the original late 1970's Superman move series (pretending that the ones in the 80's, Superman 3 with Pryor and Superman 4 with the Nukes) never happened, and seeing it that way, consider it a wonderful trilogy, the third film not liked by enough people to relaunch that story, sure, but a domestic 200 million dollar earner, (so not a money pit), with some undeniably amazing scenes, just not enough of what people wanted. Richard Donner loved it. That's good enough for me.

My point is, that 2006 "misfire" is part of the mythos now just like any other adaptation of Superman, not all of which have succeeded, obviously. The expectations were gigantic for it, although same was true for Batman, but Nolan nailed it with his trilogy (although I thought that one started out slowly). I'm sure Singer wishes he'd stayed on "x-men", but he's making his fourth one now, so it all worked out in the end.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Has anyone ever noticed that Spacey and Bosworth did at least 3 movies together-- 21, Superman, and Beyond the Sea ?

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I've got some of them:

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wow!
I got a couple of the Huntingtons from packs. I have Posey from "Parks and Rec" and Marsden from the "x-Men" sets.
Routh might sign again for an "Arrow" or "Flash" set. Spacey, obviously, is the winner, and what a nice one you have.
congrats!

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Routh is Ray Palmer, the hero The Atom, on "Arrow" and he just appeared in the same role on "The Flash". During his arrival in the episode, they alluded to his having played Superman, and it was pretty funny. Those actors on the cw (and old WB) shows are usually pretty popular signers. If there's to be a TV version of the JLA, Routh should be in it as the Atom, so that does add a little cache to his resume, certainly.

I don't watch Arrow, or any of those CW shows really, so I only saw the names of the current cast when the signers were posted for Season One cards. If Routh were to sign for Arrow, or any other TV show, it might serve to decrease the value of his Superman autograph because the supply of his signature will have increased.

When discussing certified autograph cards it is always interesting to figure out whether a collector wants a signature for the person, the character or the set. You had said awhile ago that you wanted to start a thread for cards that are signed for something other than the main role.

I love those cards because they generally cost a small fraction of the primary role and I buy for the actor, not the character or set. So if Routh ever did sign for Arrow, that would be a perfect example of it. So when are you going to open it up CPF?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Heh, I keep seeing opportunities to do it, but I'm torn about it since I wonder if it won't come off as complaining.

I mean, I could say, "I sure wish this John Travolta Battlefield Earth autograph was from Saturday Night Fever, Grease, Pulp Fiction (for instance)", and it would be a reasonable thing to wish, surely, but there are some who would be happy with any of those autographs including Battlefield Earth, and I sort of want to be one of those, generally speaking.

I was thinking that instead of saying I wish it was on "this" instead of on "this", I'll instead post the autographs I have from people largely because of some other role they played, along with a line of dialogue from the preferred project, and then interested viewers could guess what that other movie, TV show, etc. we're referring to, so it could be "fun" in that way.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I love those cards because they generally cost a small fraction of the primary role and I buy for the actor, not the character or set

For me, the best of all possible worlds is the James Earl Jones from the Rittenhouse Conan set. He signs as Thulsa Doom, one of my favorite villains, but he's also the voice of Darth Vader. While I'd probably prefer that one, the Thulsa Doom is much cheaper than any Vader card AND it has an actual picture of Jones on it. It's a great card and just missed my Top 10 from the other thread.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Actually I never thought of it as complaining at all.

I thought you were going to create a resource where collectors could add their own lists of alternate cards for people who wanted certain actor certified signatures, but could not afford to go after the mega priced cards that came from their most famous roles.

I guess I misunderstood your premise, but it sounds like it might be something different to play around with. Smile

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The original premise, as I recall, was that the card you'd prefer the signature on doesn't (yet) exist, and I approached it that way, I think, in part to avoid the appearance of complaining. But certainly, the less valuable any given card is collectible-wise, the more affordable it would be, so it probably would be a good resource, once some entries were made, for those willing to accept a less popular subject of a certain actor they enjoyed more in something else to find cards that fit the bill. Fire it up, Raven, and I'll follow up with a few...

Picture of pendragon
posted Hide Post
I'm not a big fan of these cards because they are not true autograph cards. They're "stickers" placed on a card Unlike the Batman Begins cards that Topps also did where the autos are on the actual card. It's too bad because I'd like to have a Spacey auto but I won't pay ridicules money for a sticker. That's just my opinion and I could be wrong.

Posts: 429 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: January 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's an ongoing debate, for sure, but I think it's safe to say the vast majority of us, given the choice between a sticker auto and an on- card auto, would go with the on-card every time.

The holograms do make faking them harder, but many collectors understandably like the idea that the person signed the actual item and not a sticker that was adhered to the item later.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info and opinions, very interesting Smile

Personally I'd prefer a Spacey from another movie or show, and on-card as opposed to sticker, but as things go it's the only card out there with his signature and, for me, that's the most important aspect. Can totally understand not wanting a card from a film you dislike, but I've already broken that rule with other cards, so too late to go back now...

Cardaddict, that'll do nicely, thanks! Big Grin

Posts: 235 | Location: UK | Registered: March 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I agree. There are some movies or TV shows I disliked, but collect the cards because of the actors or because the cards are more interesting than the movie (i.e. Planet of the Apes, Superman Returns, Batman Begins [yes, I disliked the 1st Batman movie, really liked the 2nd and was just OK about the 3rd, but I digress]). So I look at it as an autographed sticker that somebody stuck to a card so I wouldn't lose it.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post