Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Find
Notify
Tools
Open That Box 2007
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Card Dude
posted Hide Post
Well, I didn't plan on participating in this day because I knew there was no way I could buy boxes for today and keep them sealed! However, fate decided I should open boxes on this day!

2 Cases of cards I ordered from the USA on Ebay took a while to get here, and this morning I got a letter stating they were at my local depot, so I collected them!

I had a nice 2 cases of cards, 22 boxes in total to open today! and I think I got very lucky with some great pulls from both.

The first case was Robots, picked up on Ebay very cheaply, worked out that boxes were under £10 each.
In this case I got 10 good sketch cards by 10 Different artists! One of which was by my favourite artist, Warren Martineck.

The second case, and possibly my favourite EVER case break of all time, was Family Guy Season 2.
As with the Robots, all Sketch cards were by different artists, I got 12 in total and all were BEAUTIFUL! Not only that, I managed to get 9 autographs from my 12 boxes, and completed a set of 6.

Please see the box breakdown forums shortly, as I am now posting images of my wonderful sketches. Smile

Posts: 1117 | Location: UK | Registered: December 05, 2003Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Boldlygone
posted Hide Post
Part 3: Mars Attacks the Movie
Somewhat disappointed with my (so called)MEGA BOX I also decided to open the box of Mars Attacks Widevision Movie cards (Topps 1996) that I’ve had lying around for years as I recently got some 6-pocket pages.
It’s been years since I saw the movie and I remember really enjoying it except for the ending.

From the box 36 packs I collated:
· 3 full 72 card base sets
· 4 out of 6 Destruct-O-Rama Holo-Foil cards

This was an interesting set, larger cards make for easier reading and the box aged well, no sticking or bowing cards. As well as describing scenes from, and The making of, the movie several cards pay homage to the original 1962 set.
No autos, sketch or pieceworks cards yet I enjoyed cracking this box more then any other recent collections.
I really like the Destruct-O-Rama Holo-Foil cards which recreate images from the original set.
Off to ebay to find the last 2 cards and must remember to hire the movie.

That’s all the boxes I had for OTBD.
Already looking forward to next year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If faced with a difficult choice/decision, Remember this - WWKD.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Never give up - NEVER surrender

Posts: 4214 | Location: Flitwick, Bedfordshire, England | Registered: July 15, 2003Report This Post
Picture of Scorpiovamp
posted Hide Post
I opened my John Wayne Box. Box # 0489 of 3000

Here is the breakdown:

3 Base sets with extra common cards
1- Leading Roles-3
1- Hero's Hats #6
1- Costume Card #1 vest Big Grin

Posts: 285 | Location: Chicago | Registered: February 07, 2005Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
I decided to open a couple of boxes with my wife. First up was a box of Lord of the Rings Masterpieces.

I did not have as much luck as Len (Bellinger), but we did pull a couple of sketches.

A Dennis Budd (106 sketches)(Boromir)
Goodmanson (400 sketches)
2 Bronze chase
10 silver (the same 5 twice)
6 etched (the same 3 twice)

One card short of two base sets

A nice box, just a shame that the Budd sketch was not one of his better ones. The Goodmanson is nice enough, but I don't know who he drew? Perhaps I will post them when I get a chance.

The second box was a ET (Topps)(1982)

It was an interesting box. I had never opened a wax box before, so there was a few surprises within.

1. We noted the wax packets reacted with the glossy side of the cards, leaving the cards imperfect.
2. The gum had reacted with the back of the card leaving a residue.
3. The gum tasted horrible
4. The huge difference in quality between cards of today and the past.

Anyway, the set yielded 2 full sets plus one full set of stickers.

Ok, one of the above facts was not true. It was the gum; I didn't have a nerve to try it.

I hope everyone had a great day. We did Dance

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Report This Post
Picture of THX2112
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...taxes or cards, taxes or cards??? CARDS WIN (hope no one from the IRS posts on here... Wink)!!!

Here's what I pulled out of my one left over box from my case of Star Wars Evolution Update cards that I bought the day they came out. Stuck the box off to the side just for today.

1 base set + 46 extras

Etched Foils: 1, 2, 5 & 6

A Level Chase Cards:
2 - Bail Organa
10 - Han Solo
11 - Jango Fett
15 - Padme Amidala

B Level Chase Cards:
3 - Palpatine
4 - Clone Trooper
11 - Padme Amidala

Auto:
Michael Kingma - Tarfful

Real pleased. The boxes that I got from my case didn't have the autograph problem that most collectors were finding with this set. My Kingma auto kept true to my other pulls and is in mint condition. Have fun, eveybody!!!

Posts: 139 | Location: Noblesville, IN | Registered: May 14, 2003Report This Post
Picture of Stu_H
posted Hide Post
Happy OTB day from the UK.

I ended up buying an ebay auction and managed to get three boxes of Batman Begins. Really good price and a nice set with autographs and memoribila cards.

Well I started opening a box and first packed I pulled an embossed card, which was a nice start. My wife then got involved. I have never seen three boxes opened that quickly!! Her first pack on box one was a Batmobile Tyre not a bad start. On the second box her fourthj pack was another Batmobile Tyre!.

It was a great start to the day, and managed to get 4 complete sets

1 Complete set of Holograms
1 Complete set of Embossed Card
2 x Tyre memoribila Cards (Anyone want one for trade?)
1 x Cape

I have Spare Hologram 4, Embossed 1,2,4(x2)

We both enjoyed the day and if any one fancies a trade for a base set let me know I have a few spare. If anyone else bought in bulk and wants a trade then just PM me.

Cheers and well done everyone!

Posts: 68 | Location: Norwich | Registered: August 03, 2005Report This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of batmancity
posted Hide Post
Hi There !

Happy OTB from Paris, France Wave

My fiancée Adeline and I have once again decided to participate for this second year. I managed to get a few weeks ago a box of Battlestar Galactica Season 2 for myself and a box of Quotable James Bond UK edition for Adeline as she is a James Bond die-hard fan. I wanted to take my chance on the Complete James Bond series but that won't happen until late May (too bad) !

Anyway, during our breakfast, we opened up our boxes and the results are excellent !

For Galactica, I got 2 base sets and a couple of leftovers, also
- S2 (110/250)
- W2 (Sharon)
- T6 (Sharon)
- Ellen Tigh Auto
- Number Six costume card CC21 !
- 2 alliances card
- 4 Rag Tag fleet cards

Adeline got a lucky hand as she pulled 4 autos from the box
- 2 duplicates (Jan Williams A40)
- A42
and WA17 Michelle Yeoh
along with a complete base set and other inserts cards

Another great OTB in fact !!!

Here are the pictures, hope you will enjoy this day as much as we did ! A bientot !

Posts: 597 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: May 24, 2002Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I opened a box of 1993 EARTHMOVERS series I hoping to get a Bob Feller auto .
Didn't get it and also didn't get any holos only base cards .
2 complete base sets .
1 base set missing card #44
extras commons
sumo

Posts: 1132 | Location: Cleveland Hts. , Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2003Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
I decided to buy a box of Robots cards at the Philly show for this OTBD. Here's what Ipulled:

2 base sets
FB1 and FB6
PC1 and 2
RR 3, 4, and 5
Box loader BL-1
And a Fender sketch card by Chad Frye.
(I think he's waving to all the people that opened boxes today! Big Grin )

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Report This Post
Picture of cardster
posted Hide Post
It only seems fitting that I should be opening boxes with fellow card talker Thush on OTB day. You see it was almost exactly a year ago that I first showed Thush my non-sport trading cards. At the time I had no idea whether he would be interested and still wasn’t sure until a few weeks later when Thush mentioned he was going to a convention and wanted details of the Bond Dangerous Liaisons set I had shown him. As they say the rest is history, a year has passed and not only is Thush an avid card collector but regularly buys NSU magazine (like myself), contributes to Card Talk and is even planning on visiting this years San Diego Comic Con in USA !!

I thought this hobby was fantastic before Thush became a collector, but it’s even more fun now that I know someone who shares my enthusiasm for it.

I’ll let Thush post his box breakdown but today I opened a box of Hercules the Complete Journeys from RA.

I got the following

2 base sets
5 heavenly bodies cards
9 cards complete set of Mythical beasts
1 Hercules foil card

3 autos
A9 L Holloway
A16 Gina Torres Thumb Up
A8 Robert Trebor

As a firefly fan I was especially happy with pulling auto A16.

Thanks to all at NSU for ‘organising’ OTB day.

Posts: 473 | Location: UK | Registered: April 11, 2006Report This Post
Picture of Thush
posted Hide Post
It's been just about a year since I started collecting cards and this was my first OTB day. I spent it with my friend cardster, who got me into trading cards after relentlessly showing me his collection every time I went to visit. In the end I was convinced, got a box of James Bond Dangerous Liaisons and here I am now...

I opened three boxes today with cardster and had a great day. It is so much better opening boxes with friends.

Family Guy Season 2
Base set
Life of Brian: LB1
Griffin Family Tree: FT4, FT5
Box Loader: BL3
Auto: A8 Adam Carolla as Death
Sketch Card: Rich Koslowski S2.8 145/487

Hellboy:Movie
Base Set
BPRD: B5, B6
Hell and Back: P4, P5, P6
Box Loader: BL1
Costume Card: John Hurt's Vest (redemption)
Auto: Ron Perlman (redemption) Smile

Hellboy:Animated
Base Set
Hero's Journey: H1, H2
Demons Unleashed: D1, D2, D9
Sketch: Cynthia Cummens SK.10 004/241

I love this card! It's the first colour sketch I've ever pulled and what a great one.

Not only was the fun in opening the boxes, but trading base sets with cardster. I am so glad he got me into this hobby.

Thanks to Harris and all at NSU/Card Talk for getting this 'out there'!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Thush,

Posts: 385 | Location: London, UK | Registered: October 10, 2006Report This Post

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Great posts Cardster and Thush. Thumb Up

We received a submission today via e-mail from a collector who hasn't yet posted on Card Talk (though he is a member under the name "martyman"). So without further ado, here is Martin's entry:

Well, I did it, I opened that box of "The Wizard of Oz"cards I'd put aside, and almost forgotten about... and to my surprise found such beautiful, and unique sketch cards! What great additions to my collection - what a great holiday this is!!

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Report This Post
NSU Publisher
Picture of Roxanne
posted Hide Post
Hooray, “Open That Box Day” is here! Marlin and I decided to open a box of Guinness Book of Records by Pro Set from 1992. This set is listed in NSU for $15.00 and is selling for less on eBay. As far as we are concerned, it is an undervalued set because it has so much information. The 100-card set is broken down into three areas:

Cards 1-43 Facts & Feats
Cards 44-84 Natural & Human World
Cards 85-100 Sports & Games

Card #32 depicts the world’s largest aircraft wingspan—the famous “Spruce Goose,” the $40 million dollar boat built for Howard Hughes in 1947. It is appropriate for today since we saw the movie The Hoax with Richard Gere (a great movie) last evening which is all about Howard Hughes.

Card #49 shows the world’s tallest man, Robert Pershing Wadlow, born in Alton, Il in 1918. He was 8 feet 11 inches tall and didn’t live very long, as he died in 1940. Wadlow is shown on the wrappers.

Card #89 states the Green Bay Packers won 11 titles in the National Football League.

Each card shows a question and an answer. Although certain records may have been broken since 1992, this is a very informative set that you can buy without spending a fortune. Who knows, you may even learn something!

Roxanne & Marlin (in their 51st year of marriage and still doing things together)

P.S. We got two sets.

Posts: 56 | Location: Harrisburg, PA | Registered: January 16, 2001Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Master
posted Hide Post
My Box Breaks Results!

CSI: Crime Scene Investigation - Series 3
Foil Bonus Cards (1:6 packs)
F2 Gil Grisson - William Petersen
F3 Catherine Willows - Marg Helgenberger
F5 Nick Stokes - George Eads
F6 Sara Sidle - Jorja Fox
F8 Dr. Al Robbins - Robert David Hall
F9 Greg Sanders - Eric Szmanda

Autograph Cards (1:18 packs)
CSIV3-A5 Jorja Fox - Sara Sidle
CSIV3-A7 Louise Lombard - Sofia Curtis

Costume Cards
CSIC3-C1 Shirt worn by Greg Saunders played by Eric Szmanda "Iced"

Disney Treasures - Series 2 (Donald Duck)
Reel Piece of History (2 frames; 1:24 packs)
PH11 Don Donald (1937)

Reel Piece of History (4 frames; 1:96 packs)
PH27 Beauty and the Beast (1991)

http://twitter.com/MasterFreeza

Posts: 1233 | Location: Renegade City | Registered: April 04, 2006Report This Post
Picture of blwilson
posted Hide Post
My wife and I opened a box of 24 Season 4 Expansion from Artbox.

We got:

Base sets x2 plus extras
Box Topper BT3
Puzzle Cards PZ1, PZ3, PZ5, PZ6, PZ9
Rare Cards R1, R3, R5
Ultra Rare Cards UR1
Costume Card C2 - Audrey Raines shirt (61/90)
Autograph Dennis Haysbert as President Palmer Thumb Up

We were very happy with the cards we pulled.

Happy OTB day to everyone!

Blair

wuher, Scott Rammel, Bond, mars53, Arvin Sloane, Larry C., silmapco, MrSpeed719, spidergoblin, mark64, steve j, barrowjack, indypat75, ra4dunb, Avalon, hammer, Gregor1968, Rich, Scifi Cards, Ryan Cracknell, UofLHoops, Cee_Jay, rachandcarl, brandocles, venom5liter, Warrior Babe, manolito, SciFi Mom, Ariana, Craig, beleay, kidtrek, eman, iki927, jane

Posts: 281 | Location: Surrey, BC, Canada | Registered: January 17, 2006Report This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
I decided to open a box of Xena Dangerous Liasions with my 15 year old daughter, Katie, who is a big Xena fan, having seen all the episodes on reruns this last summer.
She has been around cards all her life, and hopefully, the set of base cards she put together today will be saved for many years.

We opened packs together and each of us found a costume card, and she found most of the other inserts too.

We got:
2 base sets, (1 for me, 1 for Katie) with 42 extras.
4 of 10 Comic cards (3,5,8,9)
2 of 20 Women and Weapons 5 & 18)
Rise and Fall of the Warrior Queen WQ3
C11 Costume card - Virgil
DC2 Double costume card - Xena and Ceasar

Overall, a good breakdown, and Katie is interested in getting one of the costume cards she saw on the box, from a favorite episode.

Happy Open That Box Day to all, and don't forget to save your Rittenhouse wrappers!

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Report This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Rich
posted Hide Post
Well, I decided to purchase some boxes of items from my favorite seller, that he had on sale, for OTB day. I bought 2 boxes of Robots and 1 box of Hellboy, the movie. Here's what I pulled:

Robots: Box 1

BL3, FB5, FB6, PC3, PC4, RR1, RR2, RR9.
Sketch: Darren Auck 229/500

Robots: Box 2

BL2, FB1, FB2, PC5, PC6, RR3, RR4, RR5, RR6.
Sketch: Jeff Zugale 176/501

Here are the sketches:

I was pretty happy with both boxes as I didn't get any duplicate chase cards and both sketches are quite nice! I also beat the odds for the RR cards in the second box. I haven't sorted the base cards just yet.

Hellboy, the Movie:

BL2, B3, B4, P1, P2, P9.
Autograph: Doug Jones as Abe Sapien (Redemption)
Pieceworks: Coat worn by Selma Blair as Liz Sherman (Redemption)

I was also happy with this box.

I wouldn't have purchased either of these releases if not for OTB day, but I ended up really enjoying them! Smile I was able to purchase all 3 boxes for less than the cost of a box of a new release, so it was also cost effective fun! Thumb Up

I would've been able to add Stargate SG1 Season 9 to my OTB day fun if it had just released a few days earlier! That's okay because now I have something fun to look forward to next week!

Posts: 768 | Location: Kokomo, IN | Registered: January 20, 2002Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of EriktheArchitect
posted Hide Post
AHHHHH! Mad

The good old days of card collecting in the early 1990's. Shake Head

Today I opened a wonderful box from Upper Deck dated 1992.

LaBella LaBestia (Beauty and the Beast) Printed in Italy

30 Packs x 10 cards per pack
198 card set
3-D Holograms

Here is what I got:
4 different Holograms (2 each)
Card # (quantity)
3(10), 8(7), 13(6), 18(9), 23(10), 33(6), 43(8), 48(7), 53(8), 58(9), 63(6), 64(1), 68(7), 69(1),73(6), 74(1), 78(5), 79(1), 82(1), 83(6), 87(1), 88(8), 92(1), 93(6), 97(1), 98(5), 105(10), 108(7), 109(1), 112(12), 118(5), 119(1), 122(1), 123(6), 127(1), 128(5), 132(1), 133(6), 137(1), 138(7), 143(6), 144(1), 148(6), 149(1), 153(5), 154(1), 158(6), 159(1), 163(8), 168(8), 173(8), 178(8), 183(6), 188(9), 193(10), 198(7)

Its a wonder anybody stuck around through the 90! Twak
And it wasn't even a Black marked dumped box! Eek
Walt is turning over in his grave. Confused

This topped off a day when my Cable Modem failed and I had to go get a new one and spend 2 hours getting it hooked up. (took the cable company 1 1/2 hours to activate it!) Frown
Taking apart the garbage disposal and extricating a plastic toy! Red Face
Chasing my 2 year old and 5 year old around all day! Bouncey
And trying to finish Uncle Sams donation! Mad

Overall a typical day! Smile

I'll have to order a modern day box some day! Metal

This message has been edited. Last edited by: EriktheArchitect,

Posts: 1162 | Location: Just NW of Hazzard County Georgia USA | Registered: December 08, 2002Report This Post
Picture of meatwagon
posted Hide Post
Happy OTB everyone.I started collecting trading cards about 6 months ago.My first box was from the movie Serenity as I am a big fan I thought this to be a fitting start to my collecting.And when I pulled a Nathon Fillion auto the deal was sealed and am now a card junkie.So this being my first OTB I thought it would only be appropriate to open another box of Serenity.Once again I have a big smile on my face.The highlights for me being the Gina Torres auto(A2),PW4 Washes shirt,and the coollest suprise for me was that the Renegades chase set has 9 cards and I have been missing #6.The odds of these cards are 1:11 packs and with 36 packs per box that would place aprox. 3 per box.Well I had pulled 3 of them and no #6's then with 3 packs left there it was a fourth Renegades card #R6. DanceNot only did I beat the odds I finally completed that chase set.I am looking forward to many more OTB's.A quick thank you to the Toser's and everyone else at the Card Talk forum.I must also thank my wife as it is her birthday today and here I am playing with my toys.Big Grin

Take care all,

Rick T.
aka Meatwagon

Posts: 218 | Location: Ca. USA | Registered: December 16, 2006Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of EriktheArchitect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roxanne:

Roxanne & Marlin (in their 51st year of marriage and still doing things together)

Congrats on 51 and thanks for the great magazine and website too!

Posts: 1162 | Location: Just NW of Hazzard County Georgia USA | Registered: December 08, 2002Report This Post