Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Open That Box! Day 2013 Discussion    What is "Open That Box" day?
Page 1 2 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Find
Notify
Tools
What is "Open That Box" day?
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted
On one day, Non-Sport Update Card Talk members and collectors from around the globe can come to a special area of Card Talk and all share the experience of opening a box of trading cards (or premium pack), all on the same day. This is the eighth year for the event and it's open to one and all.

What is Open That Box! day?
Let’s face it -- trading cards were meant to be seen, held, read, discussed, and traded; not kept in a box gathering dust. Open that box! day is Non-Sport Update magazine’s specially created day when collectors open a box of trading cards and share their experience with the non-sport collecting community at large.

What Can I Open
You may open the latest box or premium pack, or that "special" vintage box that you've had lying about and you've been saving for a rainy day.

How Do I Participate?
On May 11, we invite you to open a box of cards or some premium packs. Pull that special box out of the back of your closet or purchase a new box or packs from your favorite retailer. For those of you going to the Philly Show, the show takes place one week before OTB! day so plan ahead and pick-up a box at the show. Open the box and visit Non-Sport Update’s Card Talk web forum to tell the card collecting community what you got. We’ll have a special thread for everyone’s results. Try and make this a more meaningful experience by opening your box/packs with a friend or family member. Tell us about that, as well as why you chose this particular product and why this one means more to you then others. Take a couple of pictures or video and upload them for all to see. Feel free to use YouTube, Vimeo, Vine, or anything from today's tech arsenal. And hey, if you get an extra set, use the NSU Card Talk trading forum to trade with other collectors who are doing the same thing today.

What if I Don't Have a Box or Pack to Open?
You can purchase a box or premium pack from your favorite hobby dealer. Or purchase one from one of the dealers in Non-Sport Update magazine or our retailers on NSU Card Talk.

Do I Have to Open a Box to Read the Entries?
No, anyone can read the entries on NSU Card Talk. Of course, it's much more fun if you also open a box or pack yourself!

Some of your comments from Open That Box! day '13 may make it to a future article in NSU so remember what you post in the OTB submission thread is fair game. We hope this day will be fun for all who participate.

Other ways you can participate–
You may also take part in Open That Box! day by e-mailing your comments to us at info@nonsportupdate.com. Or by fax (717-238-3220) or mail (NSU, PO Box 5858, Harrisburg, PA 17110).

We hope to get a lot of new submissions from this (from collectors new to Card Talk and maybe from some of you who haven't posted in a while). Additionally, I hope that all of you "regulars" will help support this as well.

Thanks!

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of EriktheArchitect
posted Hide Post
Gotta find a box quick!

Posts: 1162 | Location: Just NW of Hazzard County Georgia USA | Registered: December 08, 2002Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
Since I won that box of Star Trek TOS Heroes and Villains from Rittenhouse Archives, at last Sunday's NSU's Gathering event, I'll be opening that box this Saturday. My son can't wait to get into it and neither can his father either.
Thumb Up

Posts: 1319 | Location: Rhode Island USA 02889 | Registered: January 23, 2011Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Darth Vader Fan
posted Hide Post
Wow I am so surprised no one here is really talking about OTBD 2013.

i am good to go for Saturday Cool I originally went with a box of Game of Thrones season one but it still hasn't arrived yet. So, I picked another in it's place. Can't to see what you guys/gals pull from your boxes on Saturday Smokin'

Posts: 1018 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: September 16, 2004Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Got a Revenge of the Sith Widevision box to crack!

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of CordeliaChase_Fan
posted Hide Post
I know I've been quiet around here lately, but I will be participating in OTB day with a Complete TNG Series 2 Box that just arrived today. Smile

Val

Posts: 1314 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: July 14, 2004Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
Waiting on my BSG S4 box to be opened with baited breath. C'mon Saturday!~

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Report This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of batmancity
posted Hide Post
Can't wait to open my boxes tomorrow morning !!

Posts: 597 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: May 24, 2002Report This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Have my box of Iron Man 3 I purchased at the Philly show ready to go. Smile

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Report This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I told myself I would not open any of this, but figured I'd go high end for OTBD...I'll be doing a box of UD Marvel Premier.

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of CordeliaChase_Fan
posted Hide Post
Harris- I tried opening the topic on the other board, but it said an administrator had to approve it- just wondering if you saw it at all...

Val

Posts: 1314 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: July 14, 2004Report This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of make-mine-marvel
posted Hide Post
Going to the shop to get my with my son after soccer practice. I'll also be doing 'live' pics & updates on twitter: @sketchcards

@Sketchcards on Twitter

Posts: 1817 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: June 26, 2004Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Any details yet on OTBD 2014? I hope we are having it again this year.

Posts: 1018 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: September 16, 2004Report This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Darth Vader Fan:

Yes, we are hoping to have it in late May of this year (i.e. next month). The date will be posted in the upcoming issue of NSU as well as here on the forum soon.

Thanks for asking, Darth Vader Fan!

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H_Toser:
quote:

Yes, we are hoping to have it in late May of this year (i.e. next month). The date will be posted in the upcoming issue of NSU as well as here on the forum soon.

Thanks for asking, Darth Vader Fan!
Thank you very much Mr Toser for the info on OTDB 2014. I look forward to it Thumb Up

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of EriktheArchitect
posted Hide Post
I was wondering if it was on for 2014!

Posts: 1162 | Location: Just NW of Hazzard County Georgia USA | Registered: December 08, 2002Report This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Wanted to let everyone know, we are planning Open That Box! Day 2014 for May 31. So hold off on opening that box for just about 7 weeks, ok?? Big Grin Or better yet, open it now and buy another one in a couple of weeks for OTB.

New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the date

Posts: 8 | Location: Stafford England | Registered: April 14, 2007Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Are we still on for May 31st for OTBD? There hasn't really been any discussion about it from other members here which is kind of surprising.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Darth Vader Fan,

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are we still on for May 31st for OTBD? There hasn't really been any discussion about it from other members here which is kind of surprising.

I was wondering that too. I hope so! Now that I seem to have inadvertently stumbled back into the hobby, I'm looking forward to taking part this year. Smile

Posts: 608 | Location: MA | Registered: April 20, 2007Report This Post