Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

May's Poll
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted
Hello:

We've just posted the poll for May. This time, we're asking about preview sets.

Rittenhouse has been releasing preview sets almost from their start. Several other companies regularly release them (Cards Inc., CMA, Dynamic Forces, Futera, Strictly Ink; hey, even Cornerstone, Krome, and The River Group did these back in the day). Recently, Inkworks has announced a Smallville preview set.

So what do you think of preview sets? Love them? Hate them? Do you think they enhance the collecting experience by providing an early opportunity to get a sample of a particular product? Or would you simply rather wait for the full product a few months later?

To vote, click here.

Once you've voted, come back here and tell us why you chose your selection or feel free to make further comment on preview sets.

Harris

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Well, I voted yes, I like them. I see them as an expanded series of promos for an upcoming set as well as a good way to get an idea what a particular set will look like. I also feel that having them hand numbered and limited to a certain number of sets, like the "Enterprise" set I just received and the just announced James Bond set, enhance the collectibility of them. I won't get them unless they are for a set that I plan to purchase upon its release. I say keep 'em coming! Happy collecting! smile
Greg

Posts: 1357 | Location: Iowa | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MikeFitz
posted Hide Post
I agree that there is little point to a preview set. They are expensive and give you nothing different. Perhaps if you don't WANT the regular set, but just a nice grouping of the cards, it might be worth it - but I doubt that many people go that way with it. Make a great base set, add some interesting chase and I'm a happy puppy.

Posts: 1457 | Location: New England | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
I voted no too. This is just a set of promos you have to buy. Usually nine cards for $12 or $15. If the card companies want to test the waters and see how a set will do, put a small promo pack together and sell them at cost and to cover postage.
We spend plenty on cards when they are released.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
--- I have to agree with Kennywood, MikeFitz and Don Norton. I believe that cards issued to promote a set (Promo cards) or to test the feasability or interest in a potential set (test set) should not scare the collectors away from the set with its (high price):card ratio. This is especially true when one considers that many stores will not or can not obtain the preview sets for their customers and if they can, it is usually at a much greater additional cost. Collectors are then forced to deal directly with the manufacturer and add the cost of S/H. Either way, the $12-$15 per set of 6 or 9 cards, now costs over $20. --- Collectors are already paying high prices for packs and boxes of cards when the products release. They should be enticed to want to get a set they might not have known about or wanted to get, otherwise. Promo cards and (inexpensive) test sets are a good way to inform and entice these collectors to consider manufacturers' card products.

*** Watcher

Posts: 500 | Location: City, State, Country | Registered: June 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Another no here. . . I've never bought them and don't plan to. I don't collect promos either though.

Jon

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
I am a promo collector, and I think preview sets take away from the product instead of adding to it, and they make the manufacturer look greedy. Rittenhouse has issued many preview sets and other small high priced sets and except for the star trek stuff, i have no plans to buy any of them, and the only reason I would buy the ST ones is cause I am a SW and ST completist.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Censored | Registered: November 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just to be different, I said yes. I have bought several of them and am pre-ordering the Smallville and James Bond sets. I like them. They are like little mini-sets and collectible in their own right. I got started because I am somewhat of a Xena completist. I will admit to being miffed about the different 'exclusive' sets for USAand UK. Now that gets a bit expensive!

Sam

Posts: 94 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
If I like the title I will pay the money, preview sets are generally limited in number and in my opinion are worth the higher price. My qustion is the marketing strategy for the card company. Sometimes a preview set comes out and no real set is ever released. Does the company use the response to the preview set to make that determination? Maybe if a company has a hard time selling a 1000 or so preview sets it might not be a good idea to crank out 6 to 20 thousand boxes of the product. I would like to hear from a card company exec on this one.

Posts: 4844 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DaveH
posted Hide Post
I voted Yes.

I class preview sets as an extra chase set. If it is limited to 1000 sets then overall it it is rarer than some of the lower end chase sets and costs about the same.

Any preview set which is limited to 1000 units has got to be worth a purchase. If the show or movie is popular it should sell out and so be come collectable and worth more than you paid for it.

When you think of how many fans there are of say Star Trek, Stargate, Xena, Farscape etc the demand is always going to be there, and as long as people buy the preveiw sets in large numbers the companys will keep producing them.

Dave H.

Posts: 371 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: November 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
I voted yes...

I consider them:
1. good for the company to test the waters.
2. good for me to *tide* me over until the full release...I mean, really, exactly HOW LONG am I expected to survive without an Archer card in my collection?
3. Fullfilling a role of either a promo card or an insert set depending on your mood and part of the final, full colleciton of whatever set comes out following it.
SkyBox did something similar on a more grander scale really..the 1993 DS9 boxed set was a preview of the Premiere Edition set...

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of cardsonthebrain
posted Hide Post
I voted no. The only exceptions would be preview sets limited to 1000 or less. A few promos and the regular sets and inserts are plenty.

Posts: 132 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: January 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
NO, BIG TIME !
It seems to me that buying promos is like paying for free samples. The very concept and purpose of a promotional item is to encourage customers to buy the larger item. I once read a sign that summarizes it best...THIMK !

[ 05-07-2002: Message edited by: xtime ]

Posts: 4229 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
Seems like we need catagories:

Promos: promotes an upcoming set of cards specifically.....*usually* made in bulk and provided to dealers for general release. With specific details about the card set the promo is promoting..
Premiums: a card, usually made by a major card company, usually inserted into another product. Examples: cards found in toys or videos. Not directly tied to a set. Usually no direct mention of an upcoming product.
Preview sets: "We just got this liscense, we wanna whet your whistle and get you excited about what's to come. We are a few months away form a full release, but we'd like to give you a little taste." Though they can be lumped into the promo category, technically, many should also be considered a stand alone product and surely something to be purchased....usually no mention of another product it's tied to.
I'm curious if the promo card collectors out there...the ones who ONLY do promos count these as promos?

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Lynne:

I wouldn't say that premiums are usually produced by a major card company. I mean, this does happen but there are lots of premiums (at least, what I call premiums) that are done by companies on their own.

Harris

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
I am one of those promo collectors. I do not consider preview sets to be promotional. They are solicited for sale as their original distribution method. Promos are given away as their original distribution method. If you have to pay in order to get a card, then TECHNICALLY I don't call that a promo. Theres all kinds of gray areas through. What about cards that come with comic books? Some actually promote a set (Marvel Masterpieces 1992 "Hulk" promo came from a comic), so is that a promo or a product premium? Some are just cards you can only find in the comic, but hey are maybe promoting a movie; are those promos or product premiums? How about cards inserted in videos and DVDs? Some promotes a card set, some don't. What the heck are those?

What about cards that are show exclusives? They were originally distrubuted at a specific show, and they promote a card set...but in order to get one for free you have to pay to go to the show. So technically you HAD to buy something to get the free card. I could go on all day, but who wants to read the rantings of a Mainer?

With all the gray areas, I just kind of say "if wasn't sold in a pack as the original distribution, then give it to me." Preview sets are sold in packs as the initial distribution, so they ain't promos (or even fall into the "give me" category).

As far as preview sets go, if a company can make money off producing teaser sets, more power to them! It's just more for us to enjoy.
-Todd

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
I agree, my catagories aren't bulletproof, there are items that cross over. I avoid those issues by collecting anything that doesn't bite me first wink

Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
Well, I voted Yes. They are often a nice sub-set, and can be useful to the producing company, which can use sales to judge now popular a full blown set might be.
What I'm not keen on are so-called 'preview' sets which are produced AFTER the main set is released. Alsh, I do wish they could be a little cheaper - charging roughly $20 is a little more than I can afford on a regular basis - I passed on the LOTR set for this reason, ditto the Women of Voyager sub-sets.

Either make them extremely limited - less toan 2000) or, make them more common and charge less per set.

Who am I kidding? I'll still end up buying preview sets that I like the look of...
Au Res.,
Paul

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
:What I'm not keen on are so-called 'preview' sets which are produced AFTER the main set is released.:

Those are EXTENSION sets..hehehehe..a new category I need to add....and I kinda like those. esp if they are extending a topic I like...for example, my suggestions for extension sets to the Enterrpsie set...Archer in the shower set..Archer in bed set..Archer in blue undies set..Archer in..OK, I'll shut up now....

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
Way over THIMKING !!!

Posts: 4229 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post