Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

August's Poll
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted
Hello: We've just posted the poll for August. This month, we want to know your thoughts on issues with special covers (like the one we just did with the special Buffy cover for Comic Con in San Diego). Specifically, we want to know if you think that issues like this should only be on sale at the event or if they should also be made available through NSU for those who can not make the event. Vote online and come back here and elaborate on the topic if you like. Here's the link...
http://www.nscardcollector.com/cover_poll.shtml

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
It depends how rare you wish the cover variant to be. Most of us cannot afford to fly to San Diego and attend the show, we would not have any other way to get one. I appreciate the chance to purchase one at a reasonable cost through NSU.I have recieved mine and think it is a great Buffy collectible, and the embossed card is a nice addition as well.
Perhaps a special way to customize covers for future events where they would be available on an exclusive basis is gold foil printing on the regular cover? Just an idea...

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of angeleyes777
posted Hide Post
You actually think you'll be able to buy a special card like that for less than the cost of the issue? Just look at what's going on with the Buffy card. You could have ordered the issue here for $5 and gotten the card as well, or you can go to places like Ebay and Yahoo Auctions or even your local card dealer and pay at least $25 for it. There's no way any special card that's included only with a limited variant issue will be available anywhere for less than the cost of the issue.

Posts: 643 | Location: Modesto, CA, USA | Registered: July 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
PErsonally, I like the idea or a limited number of these variants being available in the NSU store, especially if there is a limited promo to go with it (as was the case with the Buffy promo) - I have to agree with angeleyes777 - there's no way a Buffy promo card that is limited to 777 is going to be available from a dealer (or on eBay) for less than the magazine cover price - for purely economic reasons the seller is going to have to factor in the cost of the mag when pricing the item in the secondary market.

So, if there are special cards to go with the variant covers, then please do make some available for those of us who live too far away from San Diego (or wherever!)
Au REs.,
Paul

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hmm...this does get a bit confusing. It seems to me that if you want to do a variant cover with or without an exclusive promo card..making them available online at your store is fine.

BUT,in this particular case, where the magazine was sold to dealers in San Diego for $5, and then retail customers paid $10 to $20 for it BECAUSE it was a San Diego exclusive..I found it troubling that it was for sale here at $5, essentially available for less than at the show..

What do the words "SanDiego Exclusive" mean then?

Call it something else..Limited Edition, Special Edition, whatever..

In this particular case, since there were only 777...there was no question of a sellout. But a larger run, and you are then selling and competing with dealer cost. I know a number of folks who ordered from your online store, B4 ComicCon, because I told them too. A couple who were even heading to ComicCon but who would not make it the first day.
And as far as I can tell, you did not initially limit quantity.

And what about those folks who could not make ComicCon, and who are not online...where do you draw the line.

Finally..don't call it a San Diego exclusive if it's not. If you want to, then hold some copies back and let there be a drawing for folks who buy NSU magazine, that at least can include everyone. Winners to send in their $5 (plus shipping) once their names are pulled.

Posts: 622 | Location: Boston, MA USA | Registered: December 28, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
The only reason I purchased the Buffy San Diego NSU variant was to get the foolish card. I already had the current issue, and saw nothing much different in the SD Con copy. I like the idea of the limited promo card and I like the idea of it being available at a particular show. But unless there's nude pics of buffy or something spectacularly different from the issue available on the newsstand, I think variant covers are wasteful. That's just my opinion and the heck am I?

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
What is the point of making it exclusive to a show if you can order it online? You can't order SD or WW exclusive promos from card manufacturers web sites.

Posts: 5417 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of miket999
posted Hide Post
I for one could not attend the San Diego show and appreciate the fact that NSU made available a few copies for sale on their web site. I would not be able to obtain or afford a copy otherwise.

I understand what everyone is saying about how is it a show exclusive if NSU allows sales of it on their website. But remember, no matter where you got a copy from, there is still only 777 of these available which is still a short print run no matter how you look at it. Besides if dealers were able to snap them all up on the first day, those of us that are collectors should appreciate the fact that NSU gave us the opportunity to get our hands on one.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Mike.

Posts: 5347 | Location: Warrenton, Virginia, USA | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I for one would loved to have been in San Diego however as I live in the UK it would've been a little tricky. Offering this sort of special also via the website gives the likes of me the chance of buying the cards at a decent price. Otherwise I'd have to pay the rediculous £35+ prices on EBay.

Posts: 39 | Location: Southampton, UK | Registered: August 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
IF NSU offers exclusive "promos" for SALE, then they arent promos. If they offer a variant book with a FREE card, then it is a promo. I'd rather see free cards as incentives to buy the magazine, rather than buying the mag just to get the cards. Kind of defeats the purpose of calling a card promotional.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Perfect Blue
posted Hide Post
pcetodd - I see your point but it works both ways...I am finatical about having every cards in a release, this includes promos and sell sheets etc. I bought the Buffy varient issue for that very reason. I only wanted the card. However i did read the magazine and have now placed a regular order for it at my local comic shop.

I am thankful they sold it through the site, as, as someone rightly pointed out there is no way we can travel to the event.

Posts: 829 | Location: United kingdom | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Putting aside the NSU Buffy variant cover/promo/SanDiego release...in general, I think there's no real point in a variant cover.

Hardly anyone who already has a sub to NSU isn't going to be drawn to buy a variant cover in addition to the sub.issue. For those that buy it issue by issue, I think they will then choose one cover...still only buying one copy.

But a variant cover WITH a limited edition promo card included serves a number of purposes, IF it is released in a special way.

I imagine the purpose of a variant cover is to generate buzz over the product featured, but unless it reaches a wider audience than usual it is only preaching to the already converted.

A variant cover with a limited promo with enough time for word to circulate widely will get people who do not ordinarily buy NSU to pick up a copy for the promo, and consequently they will likely then read the magazine and see it as a resource to purchase in the future. And find out about other products they were unaware of, dealers, shows, supplies etc.

Good for NSU, good for the featured product and good for all of us who would like to see the hobby stay healthy and expand its base.

I don't believe a variant cover alone accomplishes any of the above. And many limited edition promos wouldn't either.

Buffy is the hottest product out there, and few can compete with the buzz created about it. It, like Xena, has brought many, many, new collectors to nonsports cards, the way Pokemon brought tons of new collectors to gaming cards.

But few series will have that draw. And without a major event like a convention where there are tons of fans who may not aready be nonsport card collectors,nor aware of NSU...I dont' think a variant cover even with a limited promo will expand NSU's reach, nor the promoted series' reach.

Posts: 622 | Location: Boston, MA USA | Registered: December 28, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post