Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WebTV
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted
Hi All:

I've gotten a couple of e-mails from WebTV users regarding the forum software upgrade. It is apparent now that Card Talk (and all other UBB.x boards that Infopop supports) no longer support WebTV. WebTV users can only read posts as Infopop says "WebTV technology cannot handle the DHTML and other functions used by eve (UBB.x)." They go on to say "It was a tough decision but there is no realistic way to make eve function within WebTV constraints."

I am really sorry that we have lost functionality for WebTV users but unfortunately, there is not much we can do. We rely on Infopop for software and this was their decision. Overall, the new software seems to be working fine for most (I have just checked and less then 1 percent of Card Talk user's have an "@WebTV.net" e-mail account). While I am saddened to see some unable to use the service, I am glad Infopop seems to be looking towards the future. Card Talk has always been offered as a free service and if we were to switch providers, it would be very time consuming and cost prohibitive.

Thanks everyone for your understanding.

Harris

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
I am looking around for a webpage that can act as an emulator for DHTML pages within the browser window to allow those users to get the basic features (like reply and new discussion) of this site, but so far, no luck

Posts: 7774 | Location: Censored | Registered: November 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
If you find one Dan, that would be great. Keep us posted. I know that there is a page out there that does the opposite (i.e shows IE users how WebTV view pages) but I have never heard of one that does this, so if you find one, great!

Harris

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
Harris, I will definately keep everyone in the loop as much as possible. I ran into about 20 type of WebTV emulators for developers, but so far, none for low-end browser users to emulate high end. Unfortunately, most of the web views WebTV (aka MSN TV) as a "niche" product - especially since - these days - you can get a super cheap computer for about $200. If any of those WebTV users are considering a computer and would like to find a cheap one, drop me a line, I may be able to help you locate one (I dont have one but have seen a few in the $200 range recently - monitor included)

Posts: 7774 | Location: Censored | Registered: November 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Once again i,m lost when these pair start one of these conversations.

Technobabble, thats what it is.

Still, good job somebody understands it or we wouldn,t be here. Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
Frown I'm a webby that can only read the posts.Good thing I also have my trusty 'puter.As me and Byrna were discussing,at first we could not even get into the Card Forum,but at least after a couple of days we could at least read what everyone was talking about Roll Eyes.

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10449 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dru'sgarden
posted Hide Post
My name is Michelle, and I'm a WEBTV user. Frown

Since today's Easter, I'm at my mom's house, using her computer. Ya see.....it's the only way I can post here now. Frown

Gee, thanks Toser.

So, if none of ya'll see me around here for awhile, you know why.

I just had to get in here and say how really bummed out I am about your "new" format. Frown I don't feel as included anymore. Frown Frown Frown

Even tho I can't post or reply, I'll still be here checking the boards. I'll still subscribe to NSU magazine, cuz I LOVE it!!!

SO, hear that Toser and the rest?? Ya can't get rid of me that easy, lol.

I'm still wicked disappointed tho. Frown

Frown Michelle Frown

Posts: 495 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xSaBx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dru'sgarden:
Gee, thanks Toser.

I'm *hoping* you're missing a smilie here, Michelle? It's so not Harris' fault that the people who run this board updated their software and now exclude people who use WebTV... if you want to complain, you should throw the abuse their way, not at NSU. Harris is trying to find a way to make the board accessible to you, in the meantime... perhaps it's time to spend more time with your Mom...? Big Grin

Crunchy on the Outside,
Smooth on the Inside:
Armadillos!

REMEMBER: Take out the 'removemefirst' from my e-mail address to reply...

Posts: 5362 | Location: The South East, United Kingdom | Registered: June 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H_Toser:
Hi All:

I've gotten a couple of e-mails from WebTV users regarding the forum software upgrade. It is apparent now that Card Talk (and all other UBB.x boards that Infopop supports) no longer support WebTV. WebTV users can only read posts as Infopop says "WebTV technology cannot handle the DHTML and other functions used by eve (UBB.x)." They go on to say "It was a tough decision but there is no realistic way to make eve function within WebTV constraints."

I am really sorry that we have lost functionality for WebTV users but unfortunately, there is not much we can do. We rely on Infopop for software and this was their decision. Overall, the new software seems to be working fine for most (I have just checked and less then 1 percent of Card Talk user's have an "@WebTV.net" e-mail account). While I am saddened to see some unable to use the service, I am glad Infopop seems to be looking towards the future. Card Talk has always been offered as a free service and if we were to switch providers, it would be very time consuming and cost prohibitive.

Harris

GOOD NEWS WEBTV'ers.
I have found a way to at least respond to a post at this point.

1)set your cursor over the members post count that you wish to respon to...

2)click your right arrrow once to a blank link

3)click on the blank link

4)white screen will appear,wait a few seconds til the quoted response screen appears,and type your text.

This response I am doing right now is on my webtv.I cannot use any of the neat icon links,but at least I/We webbies can now respond.I am also going to post this message at the suggestions forum in case other webbies do not see this new discovery.

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10449 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spidergoblin:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by H_Toser:
Hi All:

Harris

> GOOD NEWS WEBTV'ers.
Yup Bernie, I've been using that one for awhile. And the old "Notify Administrator" link still works as well.
I did tell Harris that early on.

And..here's a way to use the Search function...this will take you directly to the Search page.
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=srchf&x_as=

Not only can we search fully there.but since we cannot get email addresses the regular way --do it this way.
Using that Search page,typing in an author's name will give you that person's posts. Once you get that postings page - that person's name will be clickable
Once you click on the name, you'll be brought to that person's Profile page.
It's roundabout, but it works.

And of course we can log-on, not in the regular way..but in the Trading Section.
If you click on that and are not logged in, it will bring you to a log-in page.

Course it would be easier if Harris were just to post a permanent place with all the page url's..that one gets to by using those jump boxes that Webtvers can't see.

Posts: 622 | Location: Boston, MA USA | Registered: December 28, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Byrna:
Course it would be easier if Harris were just to post a permanent place with all the page url's..that one gets to by using those jump boxes that Webtvers can't see.

Tell me which URL's, or which menu's, and I'll see what I can do.

Harris

Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
I ran into a similar situation with a new section I started on my website. Webtv'ers can log in but only half way, it doesn't allow them to see certain links that only logged in people can see, but they ARE logged in, so if given the direct links to the sections they can't see, they can go direct to them. Since those links required you being logged in, posting them publically doesn't hurt the site cause anyone walking by who tries the link will fail.
Byrna was my test guiena pig and I'm glad we were able to get past it. Wink

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Byrna:

Hey, still waiting here. Anything on this? As I said above, it you tell me which URL's, or which menu's, I'll look into seeing if this would be possible.

Picture of dru'sgarden
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spidergoblin:
quote:
Originally posted by H_Toser:
Hi All:

Harris

GOOD NEWS WEBTV'ers.
I have found a way to at least respond to a post at this point.

1)set your cursor over the members post count that you wish to respon to...

2)click your right arrrow once to a blank link

3)click on the blank link

4)white screen will appear,wait a few seconds til the quoted response screen appears,and type your text.

This response I am doing right now is on my webtv.I cannot use any of the neat icon links,but at least I/We webbies can now respond.I am also going to post this message at the suggestions forum in case other webbies do not see this new discovery.

Okay, I'm giving it a try to see what happens. First when I clicked on the little white link, all it did was bring me to the top of the page. When I clicked on the lower white link it gave me window to Alert the Administrator. So I think I finally got it now.

Here goes......

Posts: 495 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dru'sgarden
posted Hide Post
WOO-HOO Smile I CAN POST!!!!!

THANKS SPIDERGOBLIN Smile

Smile YAY Smile