Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

July's Poll
 Login/Join

NSU Elf
Picture of The Mouseketeer
posted Hide Post
An item doesn't (or at least shouldn't) have to be one of a kind to be worth preserving. There is more than one copy of the Declaration of Independence, Dorothy's red slippers from the Wizard of Oz, Rodin's sculpture the Thinker, and I could go on and on. If we disassembled every historical object until each of them was only one left in existence, not very many people would be able to appreciate them.

(I'm not discounting anyone's opinion, I'm just feeling particularly argumentative today. Wink)

Who's the leader of the club that's made for you and me?
M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E!

Posts: 2218 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Wendi
posted Hide Post
I don't think every single copy needs to be preserved either. Like I said, there should be a happy medium and definately on a case by case basis.

Posts: 2211 | Location: IL, USA | Registered: February 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Have a chase insert card for the whole item and do not cut it up.

Posts: 1858 | Location: PAUPACK,PA-USA | Registered: November 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of DoctorChristmasJones
posted Hide Post
I was a history major in college, and I'm a proponent of environmental conservation and preservation, but I don't consider this sacrilege. My attitude for this type of thing might vary from case to case. But overall, I think it's fun and interactive. If it was the Babe's only extant jersey I might feel differently, but knowing there are others makes this seem ok to me. And as to Ben, as I've said in another post, he signed thousands of things in his lifetime. I don't deny the historical significance of all of them. I also don't think it's horrible to use one signature on a card for an innovative set that will be part of history and significant in its own right.

Posts: 2272 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just took a look at the Poll and I am in half a mind (some would say I only have half a mind to start with). As a dealer and collector I welcome any and all costume cards, in fact any kind of chase cards!

BUT I know this topic is close to some people's hearts...earlier this year at the last Memorabilia show in Birmingham whilst I was visiting the Cards Inc stand a gentlemen spotted one of their Prisoner costume cards and asked where the material had come from. The Cards Inc crew first thought he was questioning the authenticity of the card but when they told him it was an original worn costume he became very irrate and shouted some profanities and stormed off. Completely out of order for him to act that way but it obviously meant a lot to him the fact an original costume had been cut up.

So I really don't know if it is better to share the memorabilia with many or preserve history.
Bring the memorabilia to many or preserve articles like this is one question I cannot come to a conclusion on...

Olly

Posts: 1085 | Location: UK | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of watchers of watchers
posted Hide Post
I think it is a good thing! Alot of people just cant afford the whole thing be it a document or uniform. And this is a way for them to own a piece of history. I also collect historical documents and signatures and am very happy to be a temporary curator of them! It is actually something that they touched at a certain moment in time! And I am glad they are willing to do this and give my children a piece of history!
Dance

Posts: 330 | Location: th,indiana,usa | Registered: June 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post