Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Announcements    February's Poll
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

February's Poll
 Login/Join

Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
I do believe Harris is calling me an OLD Fuddy Duddy Wink

One note: Those boxes of Phase One I mentioned now sell for $15 Wink Be interesting to see what value the newer styles hold after 8 years or so. In theory, the autos and stuff will keep them collectible, but for the sake of this discussion, it's really only fair to compare box price at time of release...

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
Also, I wonder if old Fuddy Duddy's like me are more tolerant of lesser known stars. I've been watching those stars over and over and over for 35 years and some of them I think I know pretty well..take a one-time movie, packs with people who had one scene and it doesn't mean as much, I'm sure...I'm still waiting for my favorite Guest Star*, Katherine Hayes/Gem from TOS the Empath...a girl can dream Smile

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
Erm, I'm confused now. According to the link to the 'Bird Lady' card, the 'Bird Lady' was played by Mary Stein, and not LFB. In this case, the comment about 'bit part' or 'short cameo apperence' was correct - I certainly don't have a vivid recollection of the character in the movie, and wouldn't, therefore, be all that bothered if I found her card in a pack! We won't bring up the LFB card issue again!
Interesting point: Mary Stein was also in one of my favourite TNG episodes, "Time's Arrow", as the alien nurse. Au Res.,
Paul

Sometimes, one pack is not enough...
http://www.users.waitrose.com/~paulbines

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of TheUberBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quaint1:
Erm, I'm confused now.

So am I, for what it's worth.

-Bob-

"I'd take a bullet for safety."

Posts: 2767 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of MiniMe
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Erm, I'm confused now. --- Quaint1

So am I, for what it's worth.--- TheUberBob

- You guys crack me up. Smile Such comedians. Big Grin

@@@ ScottEvil Smokin'

"I am a WATCHER, part of a secret society of men and women who observe and record but never intefere, we know the truth about immortals ....... In the end there can be only one !"

Posts: 4072 | Location: 40.71° N, 74.01° W | Registered: September 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of TheUberBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MiniMe:
quote:
quote:
Erm, I'm confused now. --- Quaint1

So am I, for what it's worth.--- TheUberBob

- You guys crack me up. Smile Such comedians. Big Grin

Oy! Now I'm even MORE confused!! @_@

-Bob-

"I'd take a bullet for safety."

Posts: 2767 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Charstar
posted Hide Post
...with hopefully less confusion.

I was wondering what the old way of thinking was.
I guess I don't have it since I've just started collecting.

I voted to include lesser know autos also. Personally I like them. I also like getting them at least one per box. They may not become great stars. But It's like (getting rookie cards in that other card trading buisness) You just never know who going to shine. I love going back and watching movies of actors when they were not famous. It brings them more down to earth for me.

It reminds me of the tread about Brent Spiner. I watched him in a musical before he ever stared in Star Trek. Or for that matter Lamar Berton stars in Reading Rainbow (PBS) and I bet kids know him from there & might be surprized to see he's also a ST star!

Twinkle, twinkle little star how I wonder who you are?
*Charstar*

Posts: 1028 | Location: Huntsville, AL | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of MiniMe
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was wondering what the old way of thinking was. I guess I don't have it since I've just started collecting. --- Charstar

I believe what was being referred as "old style thinking" in regards to nonsports card collecting was that collectors were happy collecting cards for the cards (basic sets). If they happened to get an insert card (or 2) per box (like foil imprinting or laminated or cheesy 2D "holograms"), they were happy. And if one pulled one of the 1:180 or 1:360 packs "high end" inserts (like a die cut or motion card), that was really momentus.

Nowadays with so many levels of inserts and technology making possible so many different types of inserts that would be considered spectacular then but are pooh-poohed away as "substandard or valueless". And autograph, costume and sketch cards that are guaranteed 1/2/3/4 per box, collectors are just plain spoiled. What today's boxes contain is not a bad thing, but now collectors expect that and even more and when they don't get a "BIG" star or their favorite, they cry and say the set is bad.

It's like what happened the other day when a teenager was lamanting to his father that there wasn't anything he could find on the Civil War so that's why his 1 paragraph "paper" got a "F". The father was explaining that there was the instant resources of the Internet, the books at the library and many other sources. Many of us in the 25 + age bracket certainly didn't have that luxury as school children, as personal computers were either just beginning to hit the market or not around at all. You get what I mean.

So if in 5-10 years all non-sports cards are inserts only, and someone opens a box of something produced this year, what do you think their reaction would be. The same reaction that new collectors nowadays are reacting. This is not to insult or upset new collectors, but to get a proper prespective on what's happening and where it's all heading, one has to look back to see what non-sports cards have gone through to get to this point. The good and the bad. The problems and the improvements.

Because as a wise gentleman once said, 'Those that do not learn from the mistakes of the past are destined to repeat them." Hope this clear up some of the confusion. Wink

@@@ ScottEvil Smokin'

"I am a WATCHER, part of a secret society of men and women who observe and record but never intefere, we know the truth about immortals ....... In the end there can be only one !"

Posts: 4072 | Location: 40.71° N, 74.01° W | Registered: September 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Charstar
posted Hide Post
quote:
old way of thinking

Please accept my apologies I type what I think at the time "old style thinking" does sound much better. Please know I meant what I said in that "old style thinking" way.

Twinkle, twinkle little star how I wonder who you are?
*Charstar*

Posts: 1028 | Location: Huntsville, AL | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of MiniMe
posted Hide Post
No apologies necessary ...

- As as certain tv character would say, "Don't be riduculous !" Big Grin

@@@ ScottEvil Smokin'

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Dobby The House Elf
posted Hide Post
I like one auto per box, but not when it means that 80% of the signers are no names. I like the lesser knows, but let's not go too far. If it meant better signers, I would rather have lower odds of pulling a card.

Dobby: still a guy, even though my avatar is Chloe
http://www.geocities.com/race51fan/

Posts: 3469 | Location: The Cupboard Under The Stairs, 4 Privet Drive, Little Whinging, Surrey | Registered: September 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post