Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Announcements    September's Poll
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

September's Poll
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted
Hello:

We've just posted the poll for September. This time, we're asking about the text on trading card backs. Most of the time, a lot of time, money and effort goes into creating the text. It must be approved by the television or movie studios and finally layed out in an appealing way.

When you look at card backs, do you like 'em? Notice 'em? Or do you say "Just give me great pictures on the card fronts -- who cares about the text on the backs!"

To vote, click here or use the "Monthly Poll" link at the top of this page.

Once you've voted, come back here and discuss it. You might also comment here on whether you feel card backs influence your enjoyment of your collection and why. Or maybe you've spotted a funny error in the text on the back of a card. Or maybe you'd prefer that card manufacturers just elimate the text all together and put another picture back there. Post your thoughts here after you've voted.

If you'd like to view results of our previous polls, click here.

Harris

Visit Non-Sport Update at www.nonsportupdate.com

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Kristy
posted Hide Post
I always read the backs.
I do wish the text wasn't so small though and on some cards it's hard to read because of the color of the text and the color of the card back.

"How dreary to be Somebody...."

Posts: 1042 | Location: Modesto, CA USA | Registered: November 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
I usually read the text - it's an important part of thr design (though, judging by some efforst recently, you wouldn't know it!)
Mind you, I do sometimes wait until I've seen the film (if it's a movie related set) so as to avoid spoilerage!

Au Res.,
Paul

Sometimes, one pack is not enough...

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
I voted "usually". In most cases, when I collect a set, I put them in the 9-pocket pages, then read them in bed like a book. More times than not the text is fine, byt sometimes (like Bernie Wrightson Series 2) the text is so vague or just plain ca-ca. I 'd rather see read the text when it is an original set (i.e. not a movie or tv show) likein the old days, but that doesnt happen too much anymore. It seems to be mostly licensed sets that people produce now. I really like the Dinosaurs Attack set, that was fun.

I read all the text on promo cards as well, but that usually isnt much more than set info

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
I always read the backs. Usually I will wait until I complete the set, and then read them all at once.
Sometimes the text is great fun, like the backs of Lindner's cards. The backs of a couple of the Olivia sets from Comic Images were so dull, I put 2 cards in each space of the 9 card sheet so I'd just see the fronts of the cards.
I'm suprised there are readers who don't look at the text, according to the poll.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MikeFitz
posted Hide Post
I voted "always". That is an integral part of the card to me. As has been said, I usually wait until I have the whole set before reading the whole thing like a story. I even place my cards in the sheet holders so that I can read them left to right like a story. That is, unless the backs have no real information worth reading. I've also
placed cards back to back if there was nothing good to read. I like getting information. That's the main reason I've not enjoyed many of the TV and movie sets over the years. It's stuff I already knew if I saw the movie/episode.

Find out what you like in life... and collect it!

Posts: 1457 | Location: New England | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of anthonyd
posted Hide Post
I usually read the card backs. I can't remember if I've read them all <g>, so I entered usually. Most likely on sets I bought to trade off (like Trek, sorry Lynne!), I probably haven't read most of them.

But -- anyway, I agree with others that card back text is an integral part of the card. It should be well-written, ACCURATE and informative!

My .02
ps: I think "usually" should be above "sometimes" on the poll - think about it. smile

Posts: 802 | Location: MA | Registered: March 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
I picked rarely, sad but true, but my case is unique in that my vision (or lack thereof) limits it as much of the text used on backs is below my threshold..must seem kinda odd to collect something where half of it that you can't even enjoy, but as anyone with any limitations can confirm, one enjoys what one is able to and doesn't fret on the rest.
And I saw your post, AnthonyD and I'm waaaatching you wink
my main gripe about backs is often they use the same image as is on the front...booo hiisssss

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of carlvinson
posted Hide Post
I chose always, even though I have not read them all yet. I also want to complete the set before starting. As soon as I get around to organizing what I have I will sit down and read every card.

Posts: 627 | Location: Corning, California | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of DisneyChick74
posted Hide Post
There are words on the back?????
hehehe

~~~WILL WORK FOR CARDS~~~

Posts: 1055 | Location: Cinderellas Castle | Registered: July 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of promogal
posted Hide Post
"Usually""Usually"

I don't always read the backs on movie/tv sets but I do on the fantasy sets-I find the info very informative and interesting, such as who posed for the paintings, were they from photos or live models, when they were first painted, etc.

The one movie set that I thought the narrative was excellent was Gone With The Wind. It had some excellent trivia info and I felt like I was watching Entertainment Tonight. big grin big grin

I do think the writing on the backs of cards are important so long as they are ACCURATE!!

fran

Posts: 92 | Location: valley stream, new york, usa | Registered: October 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of kathywc
posted Hide Post
I voted "always" I find them interesting and sometimes informative. One of my favorite things to do is to sit and flip through the albums looking at the entire set and reading the cards.....Now if I just had more complete sets to do that with.......

kathy warrior counselor

www.geocities.com/warrior_counselor/index.html

Posts: 708 | Location: Burlington, NC | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually read the text. I like back of cards, I find sometimes infos.
And I also like back. The pic is great but don't forget the back.

Posts: 161 | Location: FRANCE | Registered: March 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dune
posted Hide Post
I always read the text on the card, for me, one of the best backs was from the Buffy Reflections set, the backs on them were done really nicely and the text was not just about episodes of the show. Also on the Sleepy Hollow set, in the base set there was a sub set of Behind The Scenes, the backs on these are interesting - about the special effects. The Buffy Season Five set also had some interesting facts on them... I think the backs are just as important as the front.
Dune

~DUNE~<br />http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lotrtradingclub/

Posts: 330 | Location: North East England | Registered: March 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I always read the back of the cards. SOmetimes the backs are better then the pictures on the front. However, I would like to see more nine card Picture puzzles on the back. Those are always fun!

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post