Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
March's Poll

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/881604453/m/573604453

March 08, 2002, 07:32 AM
Quaint1
March's Poll
Rob, I hope you have a great time!
I've been to a few Memorabilia shows (both at the NEC and at Sandown Park) and I have yet to get a free promo! There are usually loads of flyers and catalogues going for nowt, and you'll frequently find a modelling mag being given away (sometimes with a useful carrier bag!) but rarely will you find a freebie (unless it's advertised beforehand - and if it IS, it will be gone by the time you get there!)
However, you WILL find lots of bargains, though it certainly pays to shop around.
Of course, the Cards Inc. stand is always worth a visit (I;ll send my invoice in later Darren big grin )
If I might make a couple of recommendations (and not, I hope at the expense of any UK dealers who post here) - if you see JB Cards, you can trust them to do some excellent deals. They mght only have a small table, attached to someone else, but they are worth a look. I have no connection with them other than having bought loads of stuff from them in the past - if you see John, say 'Hi!' for me! Also, Ash Trading Cards (ATC) are also excellent!

Best idea is, when you get there, scoot as quickly s you can along the aisles, noting where the card stands are (they're not all card stands - there are a great many auto dealers, toy stands, movie memorabilia and signing tables. I think there are a couple of Doctor Who's this weekend!), then you can look for particular items. Always remember to check the prices at more than one stand - there are quite wild variations in prices - one show I went to (not Memorabilia) I found the Sisko Captains Card going for £295 at one stand - I eventually got it for £50 at another stand.
Au Res.,
Paul

p.s. remember, if you get a great card pull from a box, it was obviously a box intended for me. email me afterwards, and I'll give you my snail mail addy so that you can send the card to me! big grin big grin big grin

[ 03-08-2002: Message edited by: Quaint1 ]

March 18, 2002, 01:13 AM
cardsonthebrain
I just voted for the one about attracting first time attendees.
I live in San Diego and still have not attended the annual ComicCon I think it's called.
I think that the entrance fee is $30 or something like that and different deals for which and how many days you go to it. I think that is a bit much. As for the signers that show up: I am not that interested in getting a signature. If there were no signers there at all it would be fine with me. I don't even want to load up on freebies. I have bought all my cards and I don't see why I should think it would be different there. The most important thing for me is to see what all the companies have and get a better idea of the cards I want for my collection.
So to summarize: smaller entry fees, spare the signers (and by doing so alleviating expenses), and show me what you got!
March 18, 2002, 07:03 AM
TheUberBob
FWIW, I've been to all but one San Diego ComicCon since around '88 or '89 and I must say that the admission price is a stone cold bargain for what you get.

-Bob-
March 19, 2002, 02:45 AM
mtlhddoc2
One big thing that would make me go to a con - make em closer to me!!!! the closest one to me is in boston and screw that boston is a madhouse on a slow day - smaller cons more often at more locations - say do a mini-con in Providence or hartford smaller venue, less signers etc - less may really be more, you would attract the casual fan that would never go to a big con
March 21, 2002, 02:26 AM
xtime
Harris:
I think this was an excellent question. While a number of the responses have little or nothing beneficial to offer. It would be interesting to know if you plan on pursuing this issue?
Do you plan on taking any concrete steps to address this need, or is this just a worthless verbal exercise?
March 21, 2002, 07:19 AM
Quaint1
I'm not entirely sure it is a 'worthless verbal exercise' (nitpicking point - strictly this is a written exercise!)
We know from previous experience that people in the Non-Sport card industry regularly read (and, indeed, post) messages here, it's highly likely that show organisers also visit - if they can get just one good idea from this forum, then it's definately not 'worthless'!
Au Res.,
Paul
March 22, 2002, 03:34 AM
xtime
Funny, I can hear every word. Don't you hear all those voices too? (Ha! Ha!)
IF there are MIDWEST USA show organizers or dealers reading (or listening to) this line of discussion perhaps you would post your feedback. I'm eager to have a quality card show in the much neglected midwest.
March 22, 2002, 11:22 PM
Greg Geerts
I definitely second that opinion about getting
a show in the midwest. I really feel isolated
being in between all the big shows.

smile smile
March 23, 2002, 11:10 AM
HalliwellManor
Rob
The next card fair in Bristol is in May, i'm not sure the date but it will be on a sunday! Its quite a good fair with the first 50 people in getting a free goodie bag! Theres usally quite a few traiders there selling most types of cards at good prices! I'll try and find the date out for you!
Halliwell Manor
March 25, 2002, 07:08 PM
H_Toser
For all of you looking for a show in the Midwest U.S...

We just received notice of the 3rd Annual Non-Sport Card Show to be held in the Chicago area at the Holiday Inn Select in Tinley Park, IL (this is a new location for the show). The show will take place on Sept 20-21. The hours on Friday are 1 PM to 7 PM and on Saturday are 10 AM to 2 PM. Admission is $5.00 (children under 12 get in free).

For dealer table info, contact Paul Maiellaro by phone at 708-430-8107 or by e-mail at mmdumbo@aol.com.

Look for advertisments for the show in our upcoming issues.

Harris
March 27, 2002, 04:04 AM
Watcher
*** For those in the NYC area this weekend, there is a Card/Comic/Collectable show this (Good) Friday 3/29 (12 Noon-8PM) and Saturday 3/30 (10AM-6PM) for only US$6 per day. If you have kids 12 or younger, bring them along for free. It's at 9th Ave & 60th St in Manhattan (NYC, NY).

*** Alot of guest and signers will be there such as Linda Harrison (Nova - Planet of the Apes - Charlton Heston version), Butch Patrick (Eddie Munster - The Munsters), Michael Sheard (Admiral Ozzel - Star Wars: TESB). There will also be artist & witers such as Jim Lee and Bill Tucci. There will be a drawing contest and drawing classes.

*** For more info, call 201-865-3288 or go to WWW.BIGAPPLECON.COM . [No, I don't work for, am not affiliated with, nor do I profit from this promotion in any way shape or form. Except possibly to bring others ... to the Dark Side of the Force.. wink I mean to the world of non-sport collecting.
March 31, 2002, 08:12 AM
Greg Geerts
quote:
Originally posted by Kennywood:

This is great news! I plan on being there...anybody else? If there's enough of us, perhaps we can get together somewhere.

Thank you for the news, Harris!

Kennywood

This IS great news!! I finally get to attend a
non-sports show! I've already signed up at work
to take that Friday off... now I just have to
break the news to my wife?!?!?

Harris, any chance that NSU will be represented?
I hope to see some of you there.

Greg

March 31, 2002, 05:35 PM
H_Toser
Greg:

Unfortunately, we currently do not have plans to be at the show. Maybe that will change by September. Who knows?

Harris
April 01, 2002, 03:27 AM
xtime
Amen! I'm also disappointed that NSU has not yet set a priority to attend the Chicago show. I definitely want to encourage NSU staff to make the effort. If it helps, consider it a great opportunity to expand your customer base. The same goes for all the card companies.
April 01, 2002, 07:14 PM
H_Toser
Kennywood/XTime:

With the outpouring of support shown here, maybe we'll reconsider. Or maybe we'll send a representative there in some capacity. We'll see. September is still a ways away. We'll keep you posted.

Harris