Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Announcements    eBay Links Poll
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

eBay Links Poll
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted

Question:
As many of you may know, we've been trying to figure out how links to eBay auctions should be handled on a go-forth basis here on Card Talk. This issue is difficult and there are many things to consider. I would appreciate all Card Talk members reading this post and voting your opinion below.

As it stands now, eBay links are permitted for informational purposes to illustrate your conversation. Links are not permitted, however, when they violate Card Talk's no advertising policy. Links are also not permitted when they point to your own auction (or you friend's). These last two points are not open for discussion and will not be changing.

Several posts have been recently and issues raised which have caused the new moderators and I to stop and reexamine our position. My thinking is that there are three ways we could, as indicated in the three poll choices below. I would very much like to issue a directive so that all members will know exactly what is and what isn't allowed. Here are some things to consider.

If posts are allowed on a fairly broad basis, these may conflict with Card Talk's advertiser. For example, if someone posts "Look! --- The first Underworld autograph is showing up on eBay and isn't the buy it now price crazy? Take a look at this link." The problem with that is that what if one of our Card Talk advertisers also has that Underworld autograph for sale or auction (or puts it up a few days later) and the shift of focus to eBay causes the Card Talk advertiser to lose a sale? This is bad for Card Talk as we need the advertisers to support the board! But at the same time, I don't want to stifle interesting conversation.

If eBay links are restricted to "one-of-a-kind" auctions and "outrageous" auctions…well, that becomes a problem for the moderators. What seems outrageous to one person may not be to another. If this is the way things go, we will have to determine constitutes an "outrageous" auction. This option is likely to lead to some confusion and bickering and it would be easier from a moderation standpoint if no links are allowed. Again, this might stifle interesting Card Talk conversation.

Please consider these issues when voting. So, without further ado, I give you the choices below.

Visit Non-Sport Update at www.nonsportupdate.com

Choices:
I would like to see all eBay links allowed except for those that violate the no advertising policy.
I would like to see eBay links allowed for only those auctions that are "outrageous" or "one-of-a-kind" items.
I would like a total ban on eBay links.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of DoctorChristmasJones
posted Hide Post
Are we not supposed to be adding commentary? Just wanted to ask before doing so and ending up in trouble. Smile

Posts: 2272 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorChristmasJones:
Are we not supposed to be adding commentary? Just wanted to ask before doing so and ending up in trouble. Smile

Well, I guess you could...but I gotta say that the moderators and I seemed to have discuss this every which way. When you start to think about it, there are many things to consider and it's gets more complicated then you'd think for something that seems kind of mundane and trivial. We've tried to boil it down to the things we have been talking about above. For now, maybe it's best that everyone just take the poll, unless someone thinks that have the magical sollution which we haven't dreamed up yet.

Visit Non-Sport Update at www.nonsportupdate.com

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BCW
posted Hide Post
Well I'm gonna add commentary, but not in the hope of sparking discussion, simply informing people of my choice.

I voted for a complete ban. Plainly and simply because this will be the easiest way of avoiding problems down the line of "Why was my link taken down? How does it differ from X posted on Y?", etc. A blanket ban seems the simplest solution to any problems that may occur if you apply restrictions that people may find confusing. Although I'm sure no one would get in "trouble" for posting something they shouldn't because they weren't sure whether it followed the guidelines or not.

Anyway, that's my tuppence worth...

-----
"In this life there are nothing but possibilities..."

Buffy/Angel collector?
http://www.buffycards.co.uk

Posts: 1847 | Location: London, UK | Registered: August 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I voted to allow the links that did not infringe the no advertising rule, however, how you point someone in the direction of an auction without that being advertising that something is for sale is beyond me.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of DaveSB
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with BCW the only way to stop alot of hassle is ban all links.

Dave

Posts: 2606 | Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia | Registered: January 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi all

Here is what I voted for:
I would like a total ban on eBay links.

To me ebay links will be misused.
To HYPE auctions. indirectly

There are other non-sport card clubs were people can put ebay auction links.
Like some of the Yahoo clubs.
I seen what happened to some of those clubs at yahoo. They are full of dealer hype and auctions links.

I think every card talk member knows how to use ebay and does not need any help

Some people call a lot of different cards rare, one of a kinds ect.
Its all hype.

At the card talk gathering When Harris asked about ebay links and said about the way he thought they will be misused.
I was the only one that voted NO to ebay links

Posts: 1858 | Location: PAUPACK,PA-USA | Registered: November 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
Oh my gosh!

Ben and I actually agree on something!!!!!!!!

All that needs to happen now is for the Cubs to win the World Series and the WORLD WILL COME TO AN END!!!!! hehehehehe Smile

http://mtlhddoc2.8m.com

Quote of the Week:

"Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work."
- Robert Orben

Posts: 7774 | Location: Censored | Registered: November 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Cardmaster there were 8 of us who voted 'no' to ebay links at the card talk meeting. I voted 'no' too. I was sitting across the table. I just think that in fairness to everyone who sells in the advertiser section , we should not have them.

Mr. OWl, How many licks does it take to get to the center of a toosie roll toosie pop?! Owl-"Let's see-one, two, three! Three!" Hey, you D**N owl, you just ate my toosie pop!

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Wendi
posted Hide Post
quote:
All that needs to happen now is for the Cubs to win the World Series and the WORLD WILL COME TO AN END!!!!! hehehehehe

You better watch it! Twak

Posts: 2211 | Location: IL, USA | Registered: February 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of venom5liter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted by Wendi:
You better watch it!

I have to second that one. Cubs WILL win the World Series. Go Cubs!

Mike
Trade List | Want List

Posts: 1857 | Location: Sugar Grove, IL, United States | Registered: October 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

NSU Elf
Picture of The Mouseketeer
posted Hide Post
Whether we like it or not, eBay is a big part of the hobby and to ban all links seems a little extreme. That being said, links can and occasionally have been used inappropriately. It seems to me an all or nothing situation as to take things on a case by case basis could become overly complicated and create bad feelings. So (sadly) perhaps it is best to ban them entirely. Frown

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse." ~ Walt Disney

Posts: 2218 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Because:
The Yankees always win the world Series Dance

PS:
The Cubs have a curse on them since they sold Ruth years ago. Twak

That Cubs curse will never go away Wink

Posts: 1858 | Location: PAUPACK,PA-USA | Registered: November 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of DoctorChristmasJones
posted Hide Post
Actually that was the Red Sox who sold Ruth to the Yankees, Card Master.

I'm not sure of the origin of the Cubs curse. Perhaps something to do with Capone? Big Grin

Posts: 2272 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The e-bay links and discussions opens eyes to what's hot. The Buffy B7-mem link last month is a good example. Could a rule be, only post auctions that have ended?

Posts: 158 | Location: St Augustine,FL USA | Registered: October 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
WinkThe YANKEES WILL WIN Wink
Big GrinLike alwaysBig Grin

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorChristmasJones:
Actually that was the Red Sox who sold Ruth to the Yankees, Card Master.

I'm not sure of the origin of the Cubs curse. Perhaps something to do with Capone? Big Grin

The curse of the Goat

There was aman who took his goat to every Cubs game, one day, the new owner had his security tell him he couldnt bring in the goat, and the man said "You will never win again" or something similar...

http://mtlhddoc2.8m.com

Quote of the Week:

"Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work."
- Robert Orben

Posts: 7774 | Location: Censored | Registered: November 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I voted for a complete ban. A blanket ban seems the simplest solution to any problems that may occur if you apply restrictions that people may find confusing.

The more stuff that is banned, the less interesting (and useful) the Forum becomes.

Why not ban . . .

Off topic posts (like discussions of the Cubs Curse in a poll about ebay).

Using the same signature more than a dozen times (once or twice is interesting, fifty or more is repetitive and dull).

Handles or user names without a real name easily linked (I've spouted on this one before . . .)

There are numerous subjects and topics for which I could come up with a good reason to ban. But for each one, there is someone who had a reason to post it in the first place, and someone else who benefitted from reading it. Why hurt both of them by banning?

Posts: 2200 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Dan!
I am Happy to see that you agree about the ebay links and what will happen

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Brimaster
posted Hide Post
Well, I think that if an item is really rare or special that should be okay but other than that I say don't post the link.
I have seen on other boards have a eBay alert forum were links to eBay auctions are posted. That maybe an option for the future.

"Do you hear that, Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of....inevitability."

Posts: 855 | Location: Somewhere | Registered: April 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post