Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Announcements    October's Poll
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

October's Poll
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted
Hello:

We've just posted the poll for October. This one sort of follow's up a previous poll. Topps has recently announced that a new baseball card line with have one-of-one Presidential autographs from all U.S. Presidents. We wonder how the George Washington card would fare against the Walt Disney card from Upper Deck's Disney Treasures set. If they were offered for auction on eBay, which would go higher?

Think about it and vote. To do so, click here or click on the link at the top of this page. Once you've done so, feel free to come back here and discuss it. Just for fun, tell us which you selected and how much you think each card would go for on eBay.

If you'd like to view results of our previous polls, click here.

By the way, thanks Martin and Bill DeFranzo for the input on this question!

Visit Non-Sport Update at www.nonsportupdate.com

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of DoctorChristmasJones
posted Hide Post
Hey I was the first to vote! Do I get a prize for that? Wink

Although I think Walt's card would command a hefty price, I've got to believe a signature from the "Father of Our Country" would be considered more valuable and thus fetch a higher price.

I certainly could be wrong, as entertainment personalities seem to have supplanted politicians as the most esteemed members of society (at least in the USA).

An off-the-cuff guess says Walt would go for $4,000.00 on eBay and George would get $7,500.00.

Posts: 2272 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BCW
posted Hide Post
This one has to be a no-brainer. Definately Washington. All Disney did was create a mouse (no offence to all die-hard Disney fans), but Washington founded your country.

As a piece of information, before I moved to London and I lived with my mum (who still lives there) it was in a place called Washington outside of Newcastle. Now this is the *original* Washington and has what is now a National Heritage museum called Washington Old Hall. George Washington's direct ancestors lived there and it is where the name Washington comes from (the family was originally called Hartburn). The Hall itself is a 17th Century stone-built manor house.

Thus endeth the history lesson.

-----
"In this life there are nothing but possibilities..."

Buffy/Angel collector?
http://www.buffycards.co.uk

Posts: 1847 | Location: London, UK | Registered: August 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Prezkot
posted Hide Post
and if it weren't for Walt losing the license to "Oswald The Lucky Rabbit" there wouldn't be a mouse at all... so go Washington!

If I pull any of UD's or now Topps cut signatures as well, I will be a happy boy. If I pull Calvin Coolidge from the Topps set, I will die of shock... Eek Eek

Reverend Jim: Whaaaaat dooooooes a yelllllloooow lllllllight meeeeeean?

Posts: 1320 | Location: Phoenix | Registered: June 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Most people today are brought up on a diet of tv and showbiz and know little ( or wish to know ) of history and because of this i think the Walt Disney would fetch a higher price.
As to what sort of price i have no idea.

Posts: 29001 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Barbara C
posted Hide Post
I believe the Walt Disney cut signature card would command a higher price than the George Washington one. Some collectors are more interested in pop culture notables than historical figures.

Posts: 3139 | Location: New Castle, DE USA | Registered: March 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of starwolf1001
posted Hide Post
logicaly i would say that Washington would go higher, but living (not just in America but) in the world we live in, i would not be surprised to see Disney's go for more

"No Amount of therapy will ever make this moment ok."

Posts: 9361 | Location: grants, nm, usa | Registered: June 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
Picture of The Mouseketeer
posted Hide Post
I would at least hope that the George Washington cut signature would go for more. I love Disney, but c'mon! That being said, I would not be at all surprised to be proven wrong.

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse." ~ Walt Disney

Posts: 2218 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Well, I picked George Washington. But I agree with what Mousketeer said, I would like to think that his would command the higher price but I could also see it going Walt's way.

Greg

Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy? ~ Freddie Mercury

http://home.mchsi.com/~geerts1/

Posts: 1358 | Location: Iowa | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think it depends if the auction were only available to the USA or internationally. Walt Disney has a wider appeal, there are fans all over the world so the auction would have more potential bidders. I find it hard to believe there would be as much interest in the Washington card outside the US. Therefore I think the Disney card would go higher.

Lesley

Posts: 3862 | Location: UK | Registered: December 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of ghostrider666
posted Hide Post
I voted for George, not literally. If Disney would go for more, then there's SERIOUS problems in the US!

Posts: 1495 | Location: Hbg Pa USA | Registered: January 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Charstar
posted Hide Post
I have to say Disney, because, there is a completest out there still saving up to buy that 1 of 1 Walt Disney signature card! Big Grin

Don't worry it's not me. I have given up! Mad

Sometimes a best friend that doesn't talk back is a good thing!!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Huntsville, AL | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MikeFitz
posted Hide Post
I would also LIKE to think that George would fetch a heftier price than Walt and I think he would... BUT NOT ON EBAY!

I'm sure there are historical collectors out there who would pay a million dollors for the right kind of document with George's sig.
But we're talking cut signatures from a card company on eBay here.
I think, for the audience involved, Walt would get to become the real boy. Besides, Walt (I hope) will never get to be on U.S. currency. Razz

Find out what you like in life... and collect it!

Posts: 1457 | Location: New England | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Meander
posted Hide Post
I voted on Disney based on how the poll was worded.
I think that Disney will command more on Ebay than good old GW. Do I agree with it?? No. But as pointed out before, the now is beating out the then. It'll catch up to us sooner or later...

Posts: 706 | Location: Over, The Rainbow, VA | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Brimaster
posted Hide Post
I hate to say it but I think Mr.Disney would beat Mr.Washington. As it has been posted already. With eBay it's worldwide and some people are diehard money no object types I think Disney would bring the highest price.
I hope that I am wrong.
But the reality is the man the marketed the mouse has more following then the man that helped make a country.
Please don't Twak me for posting the above statement. I don't think it should be that way just seems the way the world is @ the moment. Shake Head

"Do you hear that, Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of....inevitability."

Posts: 855 | Location: Somewhere | Registered: April 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
DoctorChristmasJones

Forget the Prize:
Its a Hustle
ALSO:
HARRIS CAN YOU GET RID OF THAT PRIZE COMPANY PLEASE ??????????????????????????
I won $1.500.00 off on a vacation when I clicked the sign to see what I won.
Then I called that Phone # .
Then they tried to get me to put $300.00 on my credit card.(LOL)
That prize company got me unhappy with them.
Because :
They tried to put me on a guilt trip when they told me why can't I make a vacation decision with out asking the wife first.
I asked them to send me info in the mail.That is when they hung up the phone on me.
Because
In the US MAIL it is aginst the law to ask for money when a company tells someone that they won a prize. If you won a prize a person should not have to pay for it.

If it sounds to good to be true it is
------------------------------------------------
I voted for George and ghostrider666 I think is 100% right

Posts: 1858 | Location: PAUPACK,PA-USA | Registered: November 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I take it from Ghostriders comments that the Walt Disney card is certain to fetch more then.

I,m just off to hide. Big Grin

Posts: 29001 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of robwaddle
posted Hide Post
In the modern, 21st century world, I can't see how Washington could go for more than Walt!! History & politics count for so little now.

Rob

"He drew a deep breath. 'Well I'm back,' he said."

Posts: 372 | Location: UK | Registered: February 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
Wrong section!

[This message was edited by STCardGeek on October 21, 2003 at 09:48 AM.]

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post