Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

April's Poll
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted
Hello:

We've just posted the poll for April. This time we are asking you about the change made in the price guide of the current Apr/May issue of Non-Sport Update. We previously announced we would publish a full price guide every other issue and an abbreviated price guide including only newer material in the others issues. The Apr/May issue is the first to include the abbreviated guide. Did you notice? Did it bother you? Or maybe the price guide is not all the important to you.

We'd like you to vote by either clicking here or using the "Monthly Poll" link at the top of this page.

As the poll itself states, don't be afraid to be honest when you vote. Then come back here and discuss it. When you do that however, we ask that you try to keep to this subject...not why isn't set abc in the guide, or why is set abc priced too low/too high, etc. Let us know what you think about the abbreviated/full guide in every other issue and also, let us know if you have other suggestions to help NSU reach our goal; to bring you as complete a guide as possible within the space limitations of a magazine.

If you'd like to view results of our previous polls, click here.

Harris

Visit Non-Sport Update at www.nonsportupdate.com

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of kathywc
posted Hide Post
Hi! I know I wasn't the first to vote, so why am i the first to post?

I voted that I didn't notice. Which either means I wasn't paying attention, or that it was so well done that it worked without me thinking about it. <G>

kathy warrior counselor

www.geocities.com/warrior_counselor/index.html

Posts: 708 | Location: Burlington, NC | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Kristy
posted Hide Post
I voted that I didn't notice.
I don't have any of the older sets anyway so the new system works fine for me!

"How dreary to be Somebody...."

Posts: 1042 | Location: Modesto, CA USA | Registered: November 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
I keep several back issues anyway so if i really need to look something up I can go back

http://mtlhddoc2.8m.com

I have a blank reality check.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Censored | Registered: November 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Dobby The House Elf
posted Hide Post
I didn't notice, and I read in the mag, or here?? That it didn't save as much room as you had thought it might. Due to the newer sets having more girth to them, and dominating the pages. I have no problem with the guide being shortened every other issue. It's not as if Gilligan's Island singles are $5 today and might jump to $10 in the next week. Wink

"Bart, with $10,000, we'd be millionaires! We could buy all
kinds of useful things...like love!"
--Homer Simpson

http://www.geocities.com/race51fan/

Posts: 3469 | Location: The Cupboard Under The Stairs, 4 Privet Drive, Little Whinging, Surrey | Registered: September 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MikeFitz
posted Hide Post
I voted that I'm fine with the change.
I do collect "vintage" cards, but the prices don't change in any recordable way in any case.
I also keep a back issue handy for the occasional title that's new to me. In fact,(Here's where my "Cold War" duck and cover training comes in handy) I don't see why it couldn't be taken further. Make the space hogs like Star Trek, Star Wars, Playboy, Desert Storm etc., a three times a year(or whatever) listing. With the exception of a new set, these prices realy don't fluctuate in a meaningful way either.

Find out what you like in life... and collect it!

Posts: 1457 | Location: New England | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
I voted "It's fine with me"
Actually, MikeFitz's suggestion isn't a bad one - it could be extended to ALL TV/Movie sets.
on a rotation, perhaps, you could have Vintage, TV/Movie, Other.
New sets could be listed at the end of the current guide (whatever the version) and folded into the next relevant guide, which would each have two issues per year (and would, I suspect, be more than enough to cover any chnages in values!)
Au Res.,
Paul

Sometimes, one pack is not enough...
http://www.users.waitrose.com/~paulbines

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
Star trek takes up a very large chunk (usually about a page and a half) of the guide and I dont see why ST: TNG Seasons etc need to be listed every issue - I would take it even one step further and only publish one issue a year with every set (call it an Annual if you will) and then with the additional issues only include sets within about the last 2 or 3 years. With this format the Annual can be slightly higher priced and overproduced but the bookstands and comic/card shops can sell it ALL YEAR (lower costs higher profits!). This would also allow our fabulous pricing experts to concentrate on the newer sets.

http://mtlhddoc2.8m.com

I have a blank reality check.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Censored | Registered: November 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of MiniMe
posted Hide Post
The changes were fine...

- But then again there were that many set entries that were NOT in the first abbreviated issue to really cause a noticable change.

@@@ ScottEvil Cool

"I am a WATCHER, part of a secret society of men and women who observe and record but never intefere, we know the truth about immortals ....... In the end there can be only one !"

Posts: 4072 | Location: 40.71° N, 74.01° W | Registered: September 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of TheUberBob
posted Hide Post
I voted that I didn't notice the change, as I don't really collect vintage sets. My second choice answer would be that I'm fine with the changes. In fact, I'd take it a step further and say that you should hack another 5-10 years worth of sets out of the guide if the new ones are taking up so much room.

-Bob-

"I'd take a bullet for safety."

Posts: 2767 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of TheUberBob
posted Hide Post
Oh, I'd also like to second the idea for "theme" issues that could explore some sets or groups of sets more in-depth.

-Bob-

"I'd take a bullet for safety."

Posts: 2767 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Charstar
posted Hide Post
I voted! I didn't notice any change . I don't collect older sets. I like the annual idea also! Wink

Twinkle, twinkle little star how I wonder who you are?
*Charstar*

Posts: 1028 | Location: Huntsville, AL | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Dobby The House Elf
posted Hide Post
I second what Dan said. I wouldn't mind a thinner price guide and a thicker annual, with maybe some of the
sets that aren't in there now. I know we've (or at least I have) mentioned before how much I would like an
annual book with a once a year look at a larger group of cards. That's my take on it.

"Bart, with $10,000, we'd be millionaires! We could buy all
kinds of useful things...like love!"
--Homer Simpson

http://www.geocities.com/race51fan/

Posts: 3469 | Location: The Cupboard Under The Stairs, 4 Privet Drive, Little Whinging, Surrey | Registered: September 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of kathywc
posted Hide Post
I'm with dan on this as well. It is a policy that many of the CCG mags use also. Shortening the huge listings (ie: Magic) to cards that showed changes since the last issues, or cards that differ from the the usual amount (ie: autos in general $35, "X actor" $40). Many sports card pricing guides use this format as well. Then, they issue a more complete guide either once a year or with a rotating special issue that concentrates primarily on one of those sets.

I dont' know if either of these ideas would work for NSU, but they are something to consider.

kathy warrior counselor

www.geocities.com/warrior_counselor/index.html

Posts: 708 | Location: Burlington, NC | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of miket999
posted Hide Post
I voted "I noticed and it is okay".

I noticed at Philly while looking up some older cards that were not in the guide! Big Grin

Mike.

Posts: 5347 | Location: Warrenton, Virginia, USA | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
I vored "didn't notice a change" since the cards I look up are from the mid 90's and onward. It's probably been mentioned but maybe once a year a complete guide, perhaps a separate special issue, which lists all the inserts/autos individually might be nice, if only as a checklist. I like to snap up bargain boxes and if i'm unfamiliar with the product i look in nsu to see what's in there but often many of the cards are lumped together. Along the same lines perhaps all cards that were only available by redemption cards should have a special notation beside them.

Homer Simpson:
Bart, a woman is like a beer. They look good, they smell good, and you'd step over your own mother just to get one!

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tamara
posted Hide Post
Since many of the "vintage" card prices don't change drastically or often I don't see any problem!

Save those poor trees...

T Big Grin

Posts: 1830 | Location: Victoria, Canada | Registered: March 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post