Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Announcements    eBay User ID's and Linking in Signatures
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

eBay User ID's and Linking in Signatures
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted
Hi:

We've been getting questions from various users about eBay User ID's and linking in Card Talk signatures (the optional information that gets printed at the bottom of each of your posts).

I have decided to start a new rule about this so that everyone will have a level playing field, so to speak. I ask that you not include eBay User ID's in your Card Talk signature. Some feel this is a "backdoor" way of advertising. So if you would like to display your eBay User ID, you may still do so by adding it into your Card Talk User Profile. I have just set up an optional field for you to add this to. That way, if you want to see what another member from Card Talk's eBay ID is (for those that don't like to outbid their fellow members), you still may.

If you would like to add your eBay User ID to your profile now, click on the "GO" drop-down menu, then click the "My Space" link, and then the "More..." link. Next, click on the "Edit Profile" link in the upper right-hand corner. You will then be able to edit your profile. This is a good time to look over your other information as well and see if anything else needs updating. Make the necessary changes, including adding your eBay User ID at the bottom and click the "Submit" button. Be sure to click that button or none of your changes will be recorded. And just to reiterate, adding your eBay User ID to your profile is totally optional.

Also, we ask that your signatures link to pages that only contain trading links. Again, some members who have written have complained that they feel this is another way to indirectly advertise and as everyone knows, we have been trying to do everything we can to keep Card Talk advertising free except in those areas where it is permitted. Your signature may be updated in the exact same manner as explained above.

For anyone who has either their eBay User ID or a link to a page in their signature other then trading, we ask that you please update it by June 1st. After then, we will either contact you and ask you to update your profile or we will do so for you.

Thanks everyone for your understand. If you have any questions about this, feel free to post them here or send one of the moderators or myself an e-mail.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BCW
posted Hide Post
Er... OK, here's what I'm assuming will be the first of many "Can I have my signature or not?" questions:

Can I have my signature or not? It doesn't link to a trading page, but it is a resource site and I'm not selling anything directly, although I do link to others from my site. Help me Obi Harris-Kenobi, you're my only hope.

Posts: 1847 | Location: London, UK | Registered: August 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
If I am your only hope, you are seriously in big trouble! Roll Eyes

Seriously, links to resource sites are fine (and welcome) as they encourage the informational aspect of Card Talk.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Boldlygone
posted Hide Post
Ok, I think I understand that. I can't say I'm Boldlygone on eBay in my Signature. But my username on Card talk is also Boldlygone.
So as I can't advertise who I am on ebay, does this mean I have to change my card talk ID? .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If faced with a difficult choice/decision, Remember this - WWKD.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Never give up - NEVER surrender

Posts: 4214 | Location: Flitwick, Bedfordshire, England | Registered: July 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Boldlygone
posted Hide Post
And while we are on the subject.

Can I advertise Card Talk on my eBay auctions?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If faced with a difficult choice/decision, Remember this - WWKD.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Never give up - NEVER surrender

Posts: 4214 | Location: Flitwick, Bedfordshire, England | Registered: July 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
Boldygone: I believe what this is intended to curtail is the blatant "This is my ebay ID" in the signatures or in individual posts. If someone goes through the trouble of looking you up via ebay and finds a match, so be it. Big Grin

Posts: 7774 | Location: Censored | Registered: November 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
Picture of Over_Worked_Mom
posted Hide Post
I'm in a similar situation Boldlygone - my ebay ID is part of my name and I'm not planning to stop signing my posts...

Posts: 4053 | Location: Lansdale, PA | Registered: January 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mtlhddoc2:
Boldygone: I believe what this is intended to curtail is the blatant "This is my ebay ID" in the signatures or in individual posts. If someone goes through the trouble of looking you up via ebay and finds a match, so be it. Big Grin

Yes, what Dan said!

Harris

Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
I think alot of people would ahve that problem, myself included, but i like Dan said, the goal is to avoid blatant issues, 100% coverage is impossible and many people suer their nickname's EVERYWHERE and identify with them too strongly to say you can't use that here.
It's always been understood that if somone worked hard enough they could find out what auctionnes we're talking about, what we sell, whatever. no way to avoid that...
And I don't think anyone intends ill when they put stuff in sig files, it's just more trouble then benefit so OUT IT GOES Wink

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
Ok, so I guess I shouldn't let too much time lapse between starting a message and sending it Wink

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
Also what's to stop low-lifers to come in and take your ebay ID and email ebay that your email addy is now xxx@xxx.com and say you forgot your password,and change your password.Some may want to change their password,me included.Just a thought.

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10449 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Hi Bernie:

Call me dense but I am confused as to what you mean. What do you mean?

Harris

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I hope the FAQ will be updated soon to reflect this new policy.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
Also what's to stop low-lifers to come in and take your ebay ID and email ebay that your email addy is now xxx@xxx.com and say you forgot your password,and change your password.Some may want to change their password,me included.Just a thought.

Ok, I'm dizzy, but lemme see if I follow..if your Ebay ID and email address are stored in the same place, coould this be sued to someone gain access to your password.
I wouldnt think so, Ebay wouldn't change your email address via email, you have to log into your account. To log in you'd need your password. To get your password (if you lost it) you'd have to have it sent to your email address ON FILE. Any changes would require either the password being known or any info being sent to the eamil address already on file. OR by answeing questions connected to your account:
Request a new eBay password. After entering your User ID on this page, you will be prompted to answer to answer at least one of a number of questions related to your account. Once you have answered at least one of the questions provided, an email will be sent with instructions to allow you to complete your password change.
Again, though it goes to the email addess on record.

Any attemps to try and change things without that password or without using the current email addess would be a big security risk. And Ebay would not make it easy. Not that someone couldnt get around it and hijack an accou,t but it would require more then just your email address and Ebay account in the same place.
But, by all means, don't filli n that part of hte form, it's not required! Ebay does suggest not connecting email addresses and Ebay Id, but I think that's more for THEM then you, so that people can't try to sel lyou stuff off ebay and they'd lose fees Wink

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Star*Mystyk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harris:
I ask that you not include eBay User ID's in your Card Talk signature.

Okay Thumb Up

quote:
Originally posted by Harris:
Also, we ask that your signatures link to pages that only contain trading links.

I have a link to my website in my sig. On that first page is a link to my current Ebay auctions Roll Eyes
Mmmmmm. I'm not changing my website, so my sig will have to go!

I don't mind. I need a change Smile

Posts: 3225 | Location: AU | Registered: June 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H_Toser:
Hi Bernie:

Call me dense but I am confused as to what you mean. What do you mean?

Harris
It's OK after I read it I was just as confused Frown. I just meant ebay ID theft,but in reality it can happen anywhere/anyhow.

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10449 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of flobe
posted Hide Post
I've altered my signature. Hope, it's fine now.

Posts: 792 | Location: Germany | Registered: June 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post