Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Announcements    Look Who's Talking (July 2007)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Look Who's Talking (July 2007)
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Harris

Can you archive the older posts on to a disk or something that way they can be kept rather than disappear forever. They would provide a historical record for the future.

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
I didnt mean to start a debate on anything we are currently doing...i think the LWT is a fun thing (even though most months I am not listed). We just need to clear out some of the past and I think many of the problems would be solved. I think the monster posts get to a point where if anyone shows up late they arent going to spend their time reading all of that. I know I dont. Maybe put up a 10 or 12 page limit and open it up only on a case by case basis. I mean things like "name that card back" is a fun and awsome idea but once it is guessed it pretty much becomes dead information. Does anyone really go back and take a look at page 50 of this thread??

We (the talkers) also need to keep in mind NSU's cost in this. I am sure this board isnt free. The other option is for us to start sharing in the activity and storage fees. I am fairly confident if THAT happens there wont be much of an issue concerning posting limits.

I say we respect what we have, respect who's running it and have a good time talking about this crazy hobby in the middle of this crazy world we all share.

Again...my (final) two cents worth. Wink

Didnt know I HAD 4 cents when I made the last post. Razz

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:

If you want to spit on your pass and shove it in his face because he changes something up that will save him some grief and money, then that is sad.

Easy tiger. Big Grin

We are trying to have a nice discussion here.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Peter cloet
posted Hide Post
I know I sometimes put some smileys and other not that important information on the board but that's just a way of having fun for me.

I find the idea of deleting the very old topics good enough because we don't check the old ones. I think we should keep the ones from maximum 2 years old.

And if it would be necessary to start paying for the board I think a lot of people would stop visiting the board.

Maybe we could start using advertisement on our board to compensate the cost of this forum?

A belgian hiphop group

Posts: 3634 | Location: Belgium | Registered: January 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mtlhddoc2:
The post count and a million smilies have nothing to do with "fun" I would think. Interacting with others who share similar interests would be considered fun for me.

But don't you see this tells us what is fun for you. The board has to be fun for everyone and can only be a success if everyone is having fun in their own way.
It is very sad that some members have chosen to leave the board rather than accept that not everyone wants to be like them.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of justm
posted Hide Post
Blimey. I go away for a few hours and it all kicks off!

I stick by my 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' & 'life's serious enough' comments. I will also stick by peoples right to post what they like, unless it is inappropriate (by which I mean generally inflamatory or someone trying to indoctrinate others).

As I have only been coming to this site for a few years, I can only comment on what I have seen, but I've always liked it & I don't want it to chage. Please lose the old posts & maintain the status quo. It will stop the arguments & we can all get on & enjoy the forum & discuss what we all have in common - non-sport trading cards. That was why it was set up in the first place after all.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Brentwood-Essex-UK | Registered: April 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Wow, I wish I hadn't said anything now. I didn't mean for this to get personal.

I think everyone has a different experience with the forum (well, with any forum). Some want the info and no chit-chat. Some like the chat aspect and make connections with the other members. Just like the subject of posting the community report and post counts, its not possible that it's going to be exactly the experience that everyone wants. One just hopes that there's enough of a happy medium that everyone can get some enjoyment and usefulness out of it the way it is.

And with that, maybe we ought to move on? I am not interested in making huge changes at this time -- I was just looking to trim post counts a bit. I will continue to do so...just a bit quieter Big Grin. Now please go about business as usual, ok?

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Peter cloet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H_Toser:
Now please go about business as usual, ok?

And that business is reading NSU and buying and enjoying our trading cards.

A belgian hiphop group

Posts: 3634 | Location: Belgium | Registered: January 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter cloet:
quote:

And that business is reading NSU and buying and enjoying our trading cards.

And posting on cardtalk.

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
Harris

Can you archive the older posts on to a disk or something that way they can be kept rather than disappear forever. They would provide a historical record for the future.

John:

I didn't get to reply to this before. Sorry.

Yes, you can archive old posts but the only way that I know to do that they are actually in readable form is to do it right on the forum. And when you do that, they count towards the post count, just like "live" posts.

Thanks.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:

Okee Dokee Boss. Thumb Up Smile

NSU Elf
Picture of Over_Worked_Mom
posted Hide Post
Write this date down Wink I agree with Dan. Eliminate the post counts, level the playing field, remove the 'levels' reached for posting.

None, absolutely none, of that contributes to what is being said. But I guarantee that people have made it a goal to be on that LWT sheet or to reach the next level and have therefore made posts just for the sake of making a post.

Removing those few things won't make the site any less fun, it won't make it a prison state, and it certainly won't change the dynamics of this site. Instead of "Congrats on reaching Sapphire Bronze level" you can say "Congrats on the birth of your baby girl" or "Congrats on finishing your set of Livers, Onions and Milk after 10 years!!" - those things deserve congratulations, reaching Sapphire Bronze level doesn't.

So say we all Smile

Posts: 4053 | Location: Lansdale, PA | Registered: January 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
I second that! Smile

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
And then what?? If everybody still post at the same level we still have the same problem. I guess I am missing something. I personally have never posted for the sake of a count. (I think my total count ranks at about average for as long as I have been a member) Even if there are people who post for that reason...what is the point of upsetting them and possibly losing their contributions? The majority of this board is front end "active" conversation and back end "dead" archive that most people never look at. Post count or no post count really does not matter to me but, is it worth upsetting the 20 or 30 people who enjoy such a thing when a realistic approach would be to eliminate dead information that no one really cares about??

And lets not forget that many of us (self included) have encouraged, joked with and had fun with some of the high post count members. Now...all of a sudden it is a problem?? Give me a break.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
I agree with what was stated, there are a number of posters here who just post to get their post count up. Excuse me, what do they "contribute"? While some banter back and fourth is fine, it is apparent that there are more then a few members who are not happy with things as they are now. It is what it is. Give me a break for expressing my opinion. I stayed out of this at the start, but I've been here for a while and can have my say as much as anyone, as I know I do my part to support this board and NSU, as well as the hobby in general.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm all for removing the Post Numbers and Levels (many boards do this). It such a meaningless start IMVHO. Just leave the location and date joined.

And it only serves to create farm posting.

This is not an uncommon problem nor is it a new one. It's always been around, lurking.

Posts: 833 | Location: Melbourne, VIC. Australia | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Silverback
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wow, I wish I hadn't said anything now. I didn't mean for this to get personal.

I think everyone has a different experience with the forum (well, with any forum). Some want the info and no chit-chat. Some like the chat aspect and make connections with the other members. Just like the subject of posting the community report and post counts, its not possible that it's going to be exactly the experience that everyone wants. One just hopes that there's enough of a happy medium that everyone can get some enjoyment and usefulness out of it the way it is.

And with that, maybe we ought to move on? I am not interested in making huge changes at this time -- I was just looking to trim post counts a bit. I will continue to do so...just a bit quieter Big Grin. Now please go about business as usual, ok?

Everyone read the quote.

Smokin'

Posts: 6113 | Location: Illinois | Registered: March 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cee_Jay
posted Hide Post
I don't know how the possibilities of this board (as a "program") are, but why don't let the whole status thing base on the duration someone is on this board? I always thought it's kind of strange when there is a "New card talk member", who is for five years on this board, but has only posted five times. On this way you don't have the problem with the few, who only post for the count, but have also the whole status thing for the members, that like to have a special status. Just my thoughts. Angel

Posts: 756 | Location: NRW, Germany | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
I agree with what was stated, there are a number of posters here who just post to get their post count up. Excuse me, what do they "contribute"? While some banter back and fourth is fine, it is apparent that there are more then a few members who are not happy with things as they are now. It is what it is. Give me a break for expressing my opinion. I stayed out of this at the start, but I've been here for a while and can have my say as much as anyone, as I know I do my part to support this board and NSU, as well as the hobby in general.

Ease down big dawg...my post wasnt personal (RIF) and I included myself as part of the perceived problem. My point (again) is simply this:

A. Start making big changes on the front (active) end of this board and possibly lose some folks. .

or B. Kill the back (inactive) end of this board where there is nothing but crickets, cobwebs and the occasional "lurker" and let things role without upsetting folks.

I dont think this is worth fighting over or losing ANYBODY

Is somebody really, honestly and truely upset because someone else posts too much?? Is someone losing sleep over it?? Has it ever prevent anybody from saying what they want to say?

I personally dont care if someone is posting for a count. I enter, create and partake of the the conversations that attract my attention. Nothing else is a factor. If someone is making questionable posts it gets addressed in the thread. As far as who contributes and who doesnt, its subjective...I think we have whole threads of useless nothing (kinda like the Seinfeld show Wink).

bottom line, Harris presented a real problem and it HAS to be remedied. My vote is for the least intrusive way to solve the problem.

And THAT's my double secret "where does he get all that money?" final 2 cents worth??

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of justm
posted Hide Post
Is this still going on ?

I think we've seen both sides of the argument now, a lot of people have had their say. ALL valid. NONE more or less important than any other. Harris has had his say - which is the most important after all.

Let's think about this:

If you were new to this hobby, had just started collecting cards, and had just found a great new site where you could discuss cards and you came across these threads, what would you think of this community ?

This is not meant to be patronising, and I'm not trying to be superior, but having a few days away gives you a different perspective. I don't know if I want to be a part of something where this sort of thing is such a big deal.

Like mykdude I think I've run out of money posting on this sort of thing now.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Brentwood-Essex-UK | Registered: April 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post