Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Announcements    Card Talk Moderators Coming
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Card Talk Moderators Coming
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Can you list their real names? If someone has the power to edit my posts, it seems like they shouldn't be able to do it anonymously behind a handle.

I think each of the above have their names used at some point in posts, therefore I'm sure they won't hide "behind a handle". It is a fair request though. I've picked up who's who but I don't think it's my place to put the names up.

-----
"Who knows where thoughts come from? Sometimes, they just appear."

Buffy/Angel collector?
http://www.buffycards.co.uk

Posts: 1847 | Location: London, UK | Registered: August 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
I don't think any of the listed members who are to become moderators have ever been anonymous, but to reassure you, I am Paul Bines, and my email address (one of them) can be found in my profile, should anyone have issues with anything I do as a moderator.
Au Res.,
Paul

Sometimes, one pack is not enough...
http://www.users.waitrose.com/~paulbines

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you might have some questions about the moderators? Since we don't intend to to skulk about hacking up people's posts or cauing troubles, so maybe today wou be a hood day to clear up any confusions?

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of xSaBx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can you list their real names? If someone has the power to edit my posts, it seems like they shouldn't be able to do it anonymously behind a handle.

But we're not anonymous. We are working on behalf of NSU, and we answer to Harris.

If anyone is edited, it will NOT be without consultation.

This isn't about to become a police state.

--
xSaBx :: Mistress of Stuff ::

'I swear I am completely unimpressed by clever answers'
REMEMBER: Take out the 'removemefirst' from my e-mail address to reply...

Posts: 5362 | Location: The South East, United Kingdom | Registered: June 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tialessa
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oh, for heavens sake!

If you look at the list you'll see that the new mods are ALL active members and traders. No one "hides" behind a handle, but not everyone wants to do as you've done and register under their real name.

I trust Harris and everyone who's listed as being a new mod. I'm sorry you don't feel the same way.

Lessa
http://members.fortunecity.com/smithsonian/

Posts: 5550 | Location: Georgia, USA | Registered: March 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Some people seem to have problems with everything. Its not like Harris will chose mods that are going to be unfair. I have dealt with a few of the chosen ones and I can assure anyone that they will be fair, just and above all do an excellent job. As I am sure they all will.

I welcome the introductions and look forward to the promotions Smile

PS.
What are the wages like?? Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 1085 | Location: UK | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olly:
PS.
What are the wages like?? Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

One free blank card a year, I heard. It's like less than minimum wage Smile

-----

Buffy/Angel collector?

Posts: 1847 | Location: London, UK | Registered: August 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
quote:
One free blank card a year, I heard.

A WHOLE blank card?!?!?!? I didn't realise THAT!
Lemme guess - it buids up year by year into an Invisible Man puzzle poster...
Big Grin
Au Res.,
Paul

P.S. Bill (and anyone else concerned about the prospect of Moderators), you really have no need to worry about the mods - we're not going to swoop in and edit posts without the original author being consulted first - regardless of who that it. An email will be sent, explaining the situation and requesting (where possible) that the original author edits their own post - only in extreme cases, or in circumstances where it is not possible to wait for a response (for legal reasons or whatever) will a post be edited directly - and even then an explanation will be sent tothe original author.

All the mods are well known as regular posters on Card Talk, with a geographic spread that covers the time zones from which the majority of members prost from, and all are easily contactable should there be an issue to resolve - and Harris is always there is anyone has an issue that cannot be resolved by discussing it with the relevant mod. He will be the final authority on what does and dows not get edited or deleted (as should be the case)
To be honest, 99.9% of posters on Card TAlk have nothing to worry about - the 0.1% that remains probably shouldn't be too concerned either! All the mods will do is help Harris to monitor topics more thoroughly than he could before, and so prevent pproblems arising as a vfar earlier stage!

Again, if anyone has questions about how the Moderators are going to work, please post about it, but note that the introduction is going to be an evolutionary process - we'll learn from our mistakes and hopefully improve rapidly!

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quaint1:
To be honest, 99.9% of posters on Card TAlk have nothing to worry about - the 0.1% that remains probably shouldn't be too concerned either!

Being part of 0.1%, I do feel worried. You have already made you intentions quite clear in an earlier post. I draw your attention to a post you made regarding a post I made:

quote:
Oh-Ho! Making fun of the Exalted Ones, eh? <rubs hands with impatient glee>

Big Grin

-----

Buffy/Angel collector?

Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
Don't worry about THAT, BCW - it was just me moving in a mysterious way... Big Grin

Au Res.,
Paul

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Wendi
posted Hide Post
Congrats to all the new moderators. You are the chosen ones for a reason. You all have been on the boards for a while and if Harris has confidence in you then all the other members should too! Good Luck with your new mission!

And I will try to behave Wink

Posts: 2211 | Location: IL, USA | Registered: February 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the many (and mostly) votes of confidence here. I think the posts above pretty much speak of the direction and intent I have in mind. Bill, I'll give your suggestion some more thought and see what the crew thinks but again, we are only talking about Card Talk, here. It's not life or death --- just a fun forum to converse on the hobby. My hope is that all of you never need to know who the moderators are or recieve an e-mail from one.

Harris

PS. I hope to work more getting the moderators in place later today or over the next day or so to go along with the usual assortment of NSU website updates I do when a new issue starts to ship.

Visit Non-Sport Update at www.nonsportupdate.com

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quaint1:
Don't worry about THAT, BCW - it was just me moving in a mysterious way... Big Grin

Yeah, I pretty much know you're a weirdo by now Wink

quote:
Originally posted by Harris:
My hope is that all of you never need to know who the moderators are or recieve an e-mail from one.

In a Card Talk moderator sense, I hope. If some of these guys didn't email me again, I'd be upset Frown

-----

Buffy/Angel collector?

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BCW:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Harris:
In a Card Talk moderator sense, I hope. If some of these guys didn't email me again, I'd be upset Frown

Yea, that's what I meant! Smile

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, I pretty much know you're a weirdo by now Wink

<silently places a tick next to 'BCW' on list>

Blame my ever changing moods...

Au Res.,
Paul

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BCW
posted Hide Post
Too many bold people........

Let the fun and games begin. Watch out Quaint, it's time to party Smile

-----

Buffy/Angel collector?

Picture of xSaBx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BCW:
Let the fun and games begin. Watch out Quaint, it's time to party Smile

I'm now paranoid I'm gonna have a bad morning, wake up and delete half the posts from the Board... Big Grin

--
xSaBx :: Mistress of Stuff ::

'I swear I am completely unimpressed by clever answers'
REMEMBER: Take out the 'removemefirst' from my e-mail address to reply...

Posts: 5362 | Location: The South East, United Kingdom | Registered: June 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Yes, as has been noted, I have been working on some of these updates today. I'll probably have a few more to put in place tonight or over the days ahead. If anyone has any questions about the changes, feel free to post or e-mail me.

By the way, if you look at the top of the listings page in each forum, you can see which moderators are responsible for that forum.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of TheUberBob
posted Hide Post
I don't think Lynne should be made a moderator until she can spell the word "auction" correctly.

-Bob-

"Future events such as these will affect YOU in the future!"

You'll see that it says edited by STCARDGEEK in this message...learning my new powers and all, I clicked the EDIT button instead of the quotes button....!! Sorry there, dearie, I touched not a word of your message...it is 6:30 AM after all....!!

[This message was edited by STCardGeek on September 09, 2003 at 06:33 AM.]

Posts: 2767 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It was just a question, not a comment on the fairness or character of the new moderators. I know and trust Harris, and am sure he would pick responsible people to help on the forum.

My question was based more on a personal belief that anyone who has anything to say that they would stand behind, would say it in their own name. On other forums (fora??) that I'm active on, the trouble makers _always_ have a handle, and those who use their real name are generally the most responsible members (of course, _I_ may be the exception to that rule on this board Smile). Therefore I usually give a little more credence to a post, when the poster uses his real name.

Yes, there are fine folks who use handles on this board. And I know the real names of some of them already. But for what it's worth (not very much, I'm sure), when I start reading a post with a real name instead of "Topjack6" or whatever, I start out paying a little more attention, and a little more respect. I know that the writer has no desire to remain anonymous, or hidden, and stands behind what he has written.

It's Harris' board, and his rules. However, I would perceive things to be a little more "professional" if the moderators operated under real names. I note that Harris uses his real name, for example. As do Alan Biegle, Don Norton, and Bill DeFranzo. So there is certainly a precedent for those who have a formal association with the magazine to work under their own names. Just an opinion, though.

PS. I think it would also be a good idea if the profiles had a place to put your real name, so people can identify themselves and still have the option of using a handle.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post