Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Announcements    Card Talk Moderators Coming
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Card Talk Moderators Coming
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted
Hi Everyone:

We've reached the point on Card Talk where I can no longer read all posts like I would like to. This is a good thing as it shows our little community is rapidly advancing!

I have put some "feelers" out to find some community members to be Card Talk Moderators. Amazingly, every person I asked said "sure." (I thought for sure at least one would turn me down due to time constraints or something similar). The moderators will read over posts and make sure all the rules are being followed (i.e. no advertising, no flaming, checking for topic duplication, etc.). All the things that I try to do but am no longer able to because all of you guys have been talking so friggin much lately Big Grin!

So I just wanted to let everyone know that this is coming. My hope is that it will be completely transparent to all users but as with anything new, there might be a short period of adjustment until everyone gets used to the new system.

I want to stress again that I think this is a good thing. And finally, don't think you are getting rid of me this easy. I'll still be around as much as ever and will be moderating one or two of the forums as well (and still the administrator for the entire board).

I'll be posting more specifics about this soon. When you see the new "moderator's forum", you'll know what it's for.

Thanks everyone for making Card Talk a fun and informative community.

Harris

Visit Non-Sport Update at www.nonsportupdate.com

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Paul Russell
posted Hide Post
That's good news Harris - hopefully it'll make your job a lot easier Thumb Up

Regards,

Paul Russell

"Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand things with alloys and compositions and things with...molecular structures." -- Ash, Army of Darkness

Posts: 1242 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: June 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
So now the inmates will be running the asylum (or at least a few wards) Wink. Sounds like a good idea, I don't see how 1 person could keep a handle on things. Smile

Willow to Buffy:

I think you're ready now, or at least in the state of pre-readiness to make conversation, or-or to do that thing with your mouth that boys like.

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of tialessa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Incarnadine:
So now the inmates will be running the asylum (or at least a few wards) Wink.

*snicker*

This will be a good thing Smile Most boards I've been on (the ones that have topics separated) have had moderators for certain areas.

You certainly need one for the chatter section Big Grin

I still don't see how *I* was so chatty last month, but then again it's been slow at work and you guys are all so good with the suggestions & ideas!

Congratulations on moving to a new level!

Lessa
http://members.fortunecity.com/smithsonian/

Posts: 5550 | Location: Georgia, USA | Registered: March 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BCW
posted Hide Post
Harris, in principle this is a good move forward as you can only be around so much of the time, and as has been stated, you can't possibly read everything that's posted (especially when you get things like one individual (Hi Sarah Wave) posted over 800 posts in one month.

However, I would like to see some things put into effect.

1. Moderators from across the world so to speak. Obviously time differences mean that no one can be around 24 hours a day. Therefore moderators from the US, UK, Australia and possibly other countries (sorry, I'm not entirely up on who's from where) should be used.

2. Moderators should be for certain areas (e.g. General Card discussion, Card Trading, and yes even Chatter).

3. Moderators are *not* given carte blanche over their area - this I think will only help fuel any problems that may come up (e.g. Moderators shouldn't just take it upon themselves to edit posts without discussion with individuals first).

Lastly, and this may be the one that is gonna be the hardest.

There are obviously politics in play both on and off the boards. Any future Moderators with affiliations/"allegiance" to people shouldn't let this affect what they're doing. They should be fair at all times. Otherwise, I can see people leaving the boards due to feeling victimised. I've not experienced this personally, but I feel that others have. While people might not agree with my last statement, I felt it had to be said.

My "adventure" here has only just begun and I hope this is a step forward in the right direction and isn't gonna just fuel the fires of argument and controversy.

All I can say is bring on a Chatter moderator. Let's see if they keep up with my chattering pace Smile

-----
"Who knows where thoughts come from? Sometimes, they just appear."

Buffy/Angel collector?
http://www.buffycards.co.uk

Posts: 1847 | Location: London, UK | Registered: August 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
It's a logical step, especially now that Card Talk has got so big!
I agree with pretty much every BCW suggests - and I'm sure Harris has taken those points into account when considering who should be invited to become moderators.

It is a system that works well on other bords to which I post and hopefully it can be implemented here with the minimum of hassle...

The only point I would add is that, even under the new system, all members, whether moderator or regular member, are equal - only Harris (as the 'Owner') is above everyone else whe nit comes to decision making or policy setting - and therefore all members (old or new, regular or moderator, frequent poster or lurker) should be treated equally fairly.
Au Res.,
Paul

Sometimes, one pack is not enough...
http://www.users.waitrose.com/~paulbines

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of DoctorChristmasJones
posted Hide Post
Oh no, CHANGE!!! Eek I dread change. But sometimes it's a necessary product of growth, I guess.

Posts: 2272 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Barbara C
posted Hide Post
I'm glad Card Talk in growing by leaps and bounds. I hope all members will be treated equally.

Posts: 3139 | Location: New Castle, DE USA | Registered: March 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of ghostrider666
posted Hide Post
I hope the site dosent turn into more of a private chat room that it already is.

Posts: 1495 | Location: Hbg Pa USA | Registered: January 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
Picture of The Mouseketeer
posted Hide Post
Woohoo, freedom!!! Dance

While Harris is away, the mouse will play! Wink

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse." ~ Walt Disney

Posts: 2218 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Prezkot
posted Hide Post
I'm all for it, as long as we go along with alot of BCW suggestions, keep moderators from different areas, and keep a couple to focus on a main area...

The biggest prob is everyone including the moderators to obey the rules. I've noticed that since I and Russell got here, there's been a great divide, so it may be best to pick from the people who are on the fence rather than the ones tossing the tomatoes at them (I being one of those tomato tossers Big Grin)

And the biggest part of the moderation is fairness. If they have a prob with someone, let them know, so they can fix their own problems, rather than running around deleting posts in the minefields, and letting the people make 'snide catty remarks'

"I love California, I practically grew up in Phoenix." -James Danforth Quayle

Posts: 1320 | Location: Phoenix | Registered: June 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BCW
posted Hide Post
Harris, any further advancements on this? I'm just itching to have a fight with someone Big Grin

-----

Buffy/Angel collector?

Posts: 1847 | Location: London, UK | Registered: August 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Hi BCW:

We're still working through things. It should be worked out soon (I've put the guys & gals "on ice" for a bit while I finish up things for the next NSU).

Harris

Visit Non-Sport Update at www.nonsportupdate.com

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I hope it will be policy that, anytime a post is edited or deleted by a moderator, what is left will reflect that fact. I'm active on another board where the moderator can be pretty agressive about editing and deleting. On that board, you can read through some very confusing series of posts, because a key one that sparks a lot of comment may be deleted after the fact.

This would at least minimize some of the confusion.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
Picture of The Mouseketeer
posted Hide Post
I agree with Bill. On other boards, there are many threads that make absolutely no sense because a key component is missing with no explanation given. It doesn't need to be too elaborate - I think a generic "edited by moderator" would suffice (rather than naming individuals).

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse." ~ Walt Disney

Posts: 2218 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Flaming Carrot
posted Hide Post
Have the power to just go in and change a post PERIOD. Maybe a e-mail to said poster as to the reason the moderator has objected to the post. Le t the author of the post then be able to edit his post. Giving him/her a time limit to do so before the moderator is able to. Also the moderator needs to understand the post and what he thinks it says may not always be the case. Also it all should be done OFFLINE. If the moderator has a question let him pose it offline as to not embarass the poster.

FC

P.S. can we get Moderators that not only have computer skills but have an open mind and a true knowledge of our hobby!

Posts: 255 | Location: California's Central Valley | Registered: March 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flaming Carrot:
P.S. can we get Moderators ... but have an open mind and a true knowledge of our hobby!

I'm sure whoever Harris has approached will be fair and reasonable. I'm not sure what you mean about a "true knowledge of our hobby!". I think the majority of the people who post on this board have something to offer. I personally don't think we should have non-sport gurus making up the entire moderator quotient.

-----

Buffy/Angel collector?

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I think that any mod. should also be of character that is a non confrontation poster. There are several of us here that either create conflict or react to conflict(I am including myself when I say this).

I also think that there sould be
a UK and a US mod.
A male and femal mod.
A "old timer" and an expierenced "newbee".
if possible. In a two of three person combo.
EXample. a uk, male, old timer or a us, female, newbee.
just to get different points of view.
Just my two cents.

"We are all in the gutter, some of us,however, are looking at the stars."

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of TheUberBob
posted Hide Post
I'm hesitant to leap into this, as my personal feelings are that this is Harris's gig and we should let him pick whomever he'd like. I'm hesitant about having some kind of moderator "quota" system as I don't see that accomplishing anything. I think that the only criteria is who is best suited to the job.

I do think that having at least one UK based moderator would be a plus as we could have someone who could be active at times while those of us on this side of the pond are asleep.

My 2¢.

-Bob-

"Future events such as these will affect YOU in the future!"

Posts: 2767 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Prezkot
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do think that having at least one UK based moderator would be a plus as we could have someone who could be active at times while those of us on this side of the pond are asleep.

Coming from someone who writes in the middle of the night Big Grin

quote:
Coming from someone who writes in the middle of the night Big Grin

Coming from someone who writes in the middle of the night Roll Eyes

I'm watching Square Pegs at 1 AM!! Big Grin

My Personal Stash
"I love California, I practically grew up in Phoenix." -James Danforth Quayle

Posts: 1320 | Location: Phoenix | Registered: June 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post