Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Announcements    An Upgrade --- Again
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An Upgrade --- Again
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted
Hello:

A day without "Card Talk" is like a day without...

Well, it's just a bad day. We had further difficulties with the board beginning Monday morning (and after the upgrade on Saturday). I have decided to go a different way rather then pursue fixing the upgrade.

So here's the new board. This should work out well. I know there will be some glitches at first (hopefully most will be small). Note that the graemlins (smiley faces and such) from some of the old posts are gone and I'm working on that already. I really would like to heard about any trouble you have so please send me an e-mail (h_toser@nonsportupdate.com) with any concerns.

Everyone from the old board should be already registered here. Please note that the board has a new location so you might need to change your bookmarks. The best way to reach our board is from the Non-Sport Update home so that if any further changes are made, you'll be directed to the correct place.

Please give this new thing a whirl!

Harris

Visit Non-Sport Update at www.nonsportupdate.com

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
I was getting shaky, a headache creeped up and I snapped at my dog...... ALL BECAUSE THE NSU BOARDS WERE DOWN!
LOL just kidding

But I was quite disappointed and sad... but its up again!!!! I can now live my life to the fullest!!!!

Thanks Harris (I like the new look too!)

Dan

<a href="http://mtlhddoc2.8m.com/" target="_blank">http://mtlhddoc2.8m.com/</a>

Posts: 7774 | Location: Censored | Registered: November 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of kathywc
posted Hide Post
Yea! It's back! I may be new around here, but I still missed being able to check in and see what's up. Definately glad it's back!

kathy wc

kathy warrior counselor

Posts: 708 | Location: Burlington, NC | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
Harris,

I have been browsing - REALLY like the rating thing you got going, and the # of views too. Good to see everyone coming back right away too (I only clicked on the link about 20 times this morning)

smile

http:\\mtlhddoc2.8m.com

Posts: 7774 | Location: Censored | Registered: November 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
This is different, will take some getting used to, but I think it looks good.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
By the way, check on some of Quant1's past messages. Paul included a picture of himself in his user profile (accessed through the "MyPop" button link at the top of the page) and this is now showing up as an Avatar in his posts. There is at least one other user with an Avatar as well. Some of the members of the other boards I have been on use artwork, old advertising art, web cam images, all types of creative things. With us being trading card guys and gals, I'm sure there are lots of posibilities here.

Harris

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of carlvinson
posted Hide Post
The new board looks great. I have also been checking at least once an hour since it went down. Its good to know I'm not the only one with this obsession.

Posts: 627 | Location: Corning, California | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
The new board looks good.
Is there any way of stopping it starting a new window when entering from the NSU home page.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HalliwellManor
posted Hide Post
OK, we're slightly dim...can someone explain how you use your own picture for the Avatar??? We want to use our website logo but we don't know how to do it!!! Oh yeah, and what does the PopIt feature do? Any and all help greatly appreciated!!! confused

Halliwell Manor

Posts: 176 | Location: UK (Bristol) | Registered: August 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Perfect Blue
posted Hide Post
...The new look. Really really like it.

Many thanks, Mike.<br />www.wallofweird.co.uk

Posts: 829 | Location: United kingdom | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
HalliwellManor:

When you click on the MyPop button, it allows you do do several things. One that many people here might like is to be able to have digests of topics and replies e-mailed to you. Many members who came from Todd Jordan's Yahoo group used that feature and I'm sure will be happy to know that you can use it here as well. You set how often the board should send these to you: immediately, daily, or weekly. You can also have these appear on a special page created for you.

The MyPop button also has tabs for "Preferences" and "Profiles". Preferences includes an option which allows you to be hidden from the "Online Now" table as well as a few other other functions. Profiles is where you change the profile for yourself: this includes your password, location, e-mail address, etc. It is also the place to set up your Avatar. There are over 100 there to choose from or you can set up your own custom one (for your logo if you like). You'll need to store that on your own space and then link to it. The script pretty much walks you through the process, once you know where you've placed your graphic file.

Take care.

Harris

Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
Harris, well done on the new look! Very smooth!
I too was starting to suffer withdrawal symptoms - I was starting to suspect that the board downtime was some sort of sinister plot to keep me from posting...

Au Res.,
Paul

Sometimes, one pack is not enough...

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
--- Makeover looks really nice. And as for the added features (such as Avatar, Current users logged in) Tony the Tiger sums it up with,"They're Grrrrreat !!!"

*** Watcher cool

Posts: 500 | Location: City, State, Country | Registered: June 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Kristy
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to say I like the new board and I wanted to test my avatar.

"How dreary to be Somebody...."

Posts: 1042 | Location: Modesto, CA USA | Registered: November 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Just so I'm not alone here... had anyone else ever heard of the word "avatar" before 2 days ago? I have my own avatar, and i love it, Pumpkins rule! and I don't even know what it means. Cool.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of gabfan
posted Hide Post
Your not alone. I didn't know what it was either. But they are pretty cool.

Posts: 1241 | Location: USA | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
--- Don: If I am correction in that your question was not a rhetorical one, an avatar is commonly nowadays a two-dimensional, pictoral image or icon used to represent someone in a three dimensional, real environment such as a chat room or forum. It's also used in virtual reality simulations like video or computer games where the player can choose to be represented by an avatar that looks like them (male/female human) or something bearing no resemblance (Alien, lightening rod, etc). Avatars can be extended to three-dimensional representations such as the metal game piece tokens used in the Monopoly board game. We've all probably used avatars at one time or another, just never realized what they were called.

*** Watcher cool

[This message was edited by Watcher on June 28, 2002 at 05:31 PM.]

Posts: 500 | Location: City, State, Country | Registered: June 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
I've seen the word used, but didn't quite know exactly what it meant. Now I know!
Au Res.,
Paul

Sometimes, one pack is not enough...

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MikeFitz
posted Hide Post
The answer to this is probably obvious to everyone
else, but what are the ratings about and how are they applied?
My ignorance notwithstanding, I like the new set up. Thanks for keeping it fresh!

Find out what you like in life...<br />and collect it!

Posts: 1457 | Location: New England | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Mike:

Topic ratings are displayed on the Forum and Topic pages. They're really just an added "bell & whistle". You can rate things to let others know what you find useful (and what you don't). At the bottom of the topic, click the down arrow and select a rating from 5 (best) to 1 (worst) stars. Click “Go” to register your rating. You can only rate a topic once.

I'd also like to thank everyone here for the positive input on the new board.

One other thing. I noticed that several people seem have to broken items in their signature. Mike, you are one of them. Notice the "
" in your line. I'm sure you didn't intend for that. This might have inadvertently happened when I pulled the member detail over from the old set-up. You should go into your profile (click MyPop at the top and use the profile tab) and correct it (unless you want it there, of course smile ). You probably just need to delete a space or something.

Harris