Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

new menu?
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BCW
posted
When did the new navigation at the top of card talk appear? Did I miss something? I like it. It makes it a lot easier to move around and it has some handy links in it.

-----
"Who knows where thoughts come from? Sometimes, they just appear."

Buffy/Angel collector?
http://www.buffycards.co.uk

Posts: 1847 | Location: London, UK | Registered: August 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
buffycards_webmaster:

Man, you are just waaaay tooo darn quick for your own good. Big Grin

I am just installing it now and will be posting about it shortly. As I keep saying, one has to be quick around here!

Harris

Visit Non-Sport Update at www.nonsportupdate.com

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of carlvinson
posted Hide Post
I just noticed the same thing. It's really cool! Great idea.

Posts: 627 | Location: Corning, California | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H_Toser:
buffycards_webmaster:

Man, you are just waaaay tooo darn quick for your own good. Big Grin

I've been told that before Wink

One thing I'm not keen on are the links to pages/sites that aren't part of NSU. General practice is to have these open in a new window, thereby leaving your site open in a background window and helping to retain a user.

Not being picky, it's just something that I would do in my job. Web sites really are about user retention and making them "aware" of your site.

-----

Buffy/Angel collector?

Posts: 1847 | Location: London, UK | Registered: August 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
this buffyweb.. much like the links in the posts it should open up a new windows - also... in the "Non Sport Update" dropdown should have "Card Talk" listed in there Smile

http://mtlhddoc2.8m.com

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick butt; and I'm all out of bubblegum" - "Rowdy" Roddy Piper

Posts: 7774 | Location: Censored | Registered: November 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of DisneyChick74
posted Hide Post
I especially like the UBB code page. Thats a cool thing especially cause no matter how long I studied HTML in school I can never remember the tags off the top of my head lol now in quick refference format!!!...Harris you have outdone yourself Big Grin

WHAT??! Did everyone Eat their CRAZY flakes This morning? ~XANDER
~~~WILL WORK FOR CARDS~~~

Posts: 1055 | Location: Cinderellas Castle | Registered: July 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Hi Everyone:

Thanks for the nice comments so far. I have decided to move this topic from Chatter to Announcements and make it the "official" announcement of the new heading.

Thanks also for the input. I'll look into those things and "tweak" things according.

By the way, good to hear from you DisneyChick. It's been a while.

I also want to point out the new FAQ (it's the last link in the new menu). Card Talk member Syncope did the majority of the work on this and I really want to thank him for volunteering and contributing this. It should be a big help to members new and old.

And finally, for those of you using browsers other then the "standards" (i.e. WebTV, for example), please let me know if the menu at the top of the pages is working properly for you.

Thanks.

Harris

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
On the FAQ Chris!
Kudos!

http://mtlhddoc2.8m.com

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick butt; and I'm all out of bubblegum" - "Rowdy" Roddy Piper

Posts: 7774 | Location: Censored | Registered: November 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xSaBx
posted Hide Post
quote:
And finally, for those of you using browsers other then the "standards" (i.e. WebTV, for example), please let me know if the menu at the top of the pages is working properly for you.

It's working fine on Safari, Harris, which is impressive...as normally this kind of drop down menu doesn't work.

Now all I need you to do is kick some of the card companies on your list to update *their* websites!!!

--
xSaBx
Trading Cards a Go-go!
REMEMBER: Take out the 'removemefirst'
from my e-mail address to send me mail...

Posts: 5362 | Location: The South East, United Kingdom | Registered: June 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BCW
posted Hide Post
quote:

The ultimate test will be to get some with Netscape 4.x to try and use it. It probably won't work though. Nothing ever works in older versions of Netscape. In our office we refer to Netscape as "The Scottish Browser" (please ask if you don't get the comedy value of this).

-----

Buffy/Angel collector?

posted Hide Post
I agree with Dan, Card Talk needs to be a link in the menu -- I was in the FAQ and had to go back out and around to get to Card Talk.

More importantly the menu's work fine in Netscape 4.X, but the rest of the page is unusable because all the text is turned into square boxes.

Jon

box breakdowns, show reviews, rare autograph gallery and more: www.webjon.com/index.html

Posts: 5417 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of tialessa
posted Hide Post
Very cool - I thought I was just seeing things Wink

Lessa
http://members.fortunecity.com/smithsonian/

Posts: 5550 | Location: Georgia, USA | Registered: March 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
OK, I'll be adding the link to Card Talk and some of these other things soon. By the way, the Card Talk logo (red and black text in the corner) is click-able too so Jon, if you weren't able to use the menu, you could have clicked on that instead. I just want to point that out.

Also, a specific question for you Jon (and maybe I'll e-mail you off the board about this later)...when you say the type turns to squares in Netscape 4...are you saying the text on the FAQ pages? Or on Card Talk too? I assume you mean just the FAQ pages since you've obviously been able to use Card Talk to post the message, but I just wanted some further clarifiation. Thanks.

Harris

Picture of starwolf1001
posted Hide Post
yeah, for a second there i thought i was seeing things, or my computer was having a nervous breakdown Big Grin

"Is it suppost to be stupid?"
"It's not stupid, it's advanced."

Posts: 9361 | Location: grants, nm, usa | Registered: June 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of MiniMe
posted Hide Post
--- Harris:

- What Jon means is that anywhere there is text on the Card Talk page (except the top menus) hows up properly for about a second or two before all turning into little square boxes. (LMK if you want a screen shot.) Good thing I also use various versions of Netscape, IE and Opera.

@@@ ScottEvil

"I am a WATCHER, part of a secret society of men and women who observe and record but never interfere, we know the truth about immortals ....... In the end there can be only one !"

Posts: 4072 | Location: 40.71° N, 74.01° W | Registered: September 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
MiniMe:

Oh, I know what Jon meant. I've seen that kind of thing before.

But what I meant was did this only happen on the FAQ page that he was talking about or Card Talk itself? He's obviously been able to use Card Talk as he made that post. Of course, he may have had to switch to another browser to be able to do so, and that is what I am trying to determine.

Thanks.

Harris

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of DaveSB
posted Hide Post
I hadnt noticed until I read this thread! Big Grin

Great idea.. makes it easier

Dave

...Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did,
but she did it backwards and in high heels!...

Posts: 2606 | Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia | Registered: January 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
Looks very nice - but it it just me (and my 14" screen with the resulting low-ish resolution) or are the menu options supposed to overlap the 'Card Talk' logo?
They do on mine - all I get is 'Card Ta' half the 'L' then the menu box for 'Non-Sport Update'

Au Res.,
Paul (using IE5)

Sometimes, one pack is not enough...
http://www.users.waitrose.com/~paulbines

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of MiniMe
posted Hide Post
--- Harris:

- The pages for the FAQ's, and other "new menu listings" appear just fine. It's the Card Talk section (news & rumors, General card discussion, etc) that "square up". And Jon might have been using another browser that displays the pages correctly. He might have just used Netscape 4.x just to test (like I did) and reply to the question Buffy_webmaster asked (what happens with Netscape 4.x).

--- Paul:

- It might be your resolution. If you can set it to a higher resolution, test it with that setting and compare it to your current resolution.

@@@ ScottEvil Cool

"I am a WATCHER, part of a secret society of men and women who observe and record but never interfere, we know the truth about immortals ....... In the end there can be only one !"

Posts: 4072 | Location: 40.71° N, 74.01° W | Registered: September 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BCW
posted Hide Post
Ah, good old Netscape 4.x. You can always trust it to screw at least one thing up.

I am forced to make my team build for it as a minimum Netscape browser at work and all I hear everyday is my team whinging about how "this all works fine, except this bit doesn't work correctly in 'the scottish browser'". I always feel crap when I have to tell them that they have to change it to make it work. All I need is a new boss who understands that we should be building for standards compliant browsers.

Harris: if you can't sort this problem, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Less than 1% of the world is using this particular browser. I think that Jon was only testing it in 4.7 (it's why I asked - i'm off work at the minute so couldn't do it myself) but posted in a different browser

-----

Buffy/Angel collector?