Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

new menu?
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Actually at work I use NS 4.7 for my normal surfing. . . I use it for it's mail also, and refuse to use the virus ridden Outlook Express/IE combo.

As stated before, Harris, all the forum pages (Card Talk) were in squares. I have a multitude of browsers so I switched to another one.

I think the 1% number may be a little low, and even if it's not that still means that 10 Card Talk members (roughly) are using 4.7, and we are growing fast.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for Standards compliant browsers (use Mozilla at home), but if a page is totally unusable in NS 4.7 I would take a look at it.

Jon

box breakdowns, show reviews, rare autograph gallery and more: www.webjon.com/index.html

Posts: 5410 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
Picture of The Mouseketeer
posted Hide Post
Excellent job! Thumb Up I especially like the FAQ page. But I have the same problem as Paul - part of the K in Card Talk is overlapped by the menu. Not a big deal, but perplexing nonetheless. Confused

(I sit at a computer for many hours each day and what goes on inside there is still a mystery. Wink)

Who's the leader of the club that's made for you and me?
M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E!

Posts: 2218 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
quote:
- It might be your resolution. If you can set it to a higher resolution, test it with that setting and compare it to your current resolution.

Mini, that's why I said 'resulting lowish resolution"! If I set it any higher than it is at the moment, I won't be able to read anything. (I can't read that much now!)
It looks like a layout thing - the menu bar apears to be set to the Right - if the window you're viewing it in is small, the menu overlaps anything on the left (change the size of your window and you'll see what I mean) If I open the window out to full screen here at work (on my 19" screen) then the menu sits fine on the right and doesn't overlap; reduce the window size, and the menu creeps towards to left.It's not a problem - it's probably supposed to do that- but anyone with a small screen or low resoultion should be aware of it!
Au Res.,
Paul

Sometimes, one pack is not enough...
http://www.users.waitrose.com/~paulbines

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon@webjon.com (spydrman):I think the 1% number may be a little low, and even if it's not that still means that 10 Card Talk members (roughly) are using 4.7, and we are growing fast

I agree that a provision for anyone using 4.7 (or indeed other older browsers that might not support the menu or page) should be looked at. The problem is catering for those few when they are using totally outdated browsers. 4.7 was released back in '96/'97 - that technology is 6 years out-of-date. And its not like the software costs anything. Anyway, I will stop being overbearing before I start to irritate people (if it hasn't already happened) - I just really hate Netscape.

Anyway, for anyone who's interested here are some links to stats usage raw data and browser trends.

-----
"Who knows where thoughts come from? Sometimes, they just appear."

Buffy/Angel collector?
http://www.buffycards.co.uk

Posts: 1847 | Location: London, UK | Registered: August 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
No ones asking anyone to cater anything, there are ways to make the page usable in NS even if the menus don't work.

Simply put -- if the page worked before in NS it should continue to work in the future.

Being standards compliant also means that your pages don't break when using non-compliant browers.

Furthermore who cares how old the technology is, way more than 1% of people are using computers that are about that old, and they operate just fine.

Jon

box breakdowns, show reviews, rare autograph gallery and more: www.webjon.com/index.html

Posts: 5410 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Hi Everyone:

Paul...I understand what you mean. You are correct in that the menu is supposed to justify on the right side so I could see that if you are using a small-ish screen, the menu would overlap the Card Talk graphic on the left. I'll see if there is any more room to squeeze each column a bit so that the graphic is a bit "thinner".

As for the Netscape thing...The information I had said the menu would be NS4 browser compliant. I suspect that it it might be but when mixed with the code that the Card Talk forum uses, a glitch occurs. I have no hard evidence to support that but I ran into something like that once before. I'll check into it in the next few days and I would appreicate it if anyone else who sees a glitch or has trouble of any kind with this menu to let me know via posting here or e-mail me.

Thanks.

Harris

Visit Non-Sport Update at www.nonsportupdate.com

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
No, us Webtvers (now known as MSNTVers)
can't even see the Menu drop down box.
I would not have even known it was there except for this thread.

And I'm on the most current set top box, with the most current upgrade (2.8) my browser is usually IE4.0 compatible.

All I 'read' instead of the drop down box is "your browser does not support script".

Now I use drop down boxes all over the internet, so I don't know what the difference is in the one you've just had placed here.

Is there another way to access the information contained in the Menu? Or conversely, is all the information contained in the new Meno already findable some other way on the website, or are there additional links.

I thought I'd sent you this site before, but if you ever want to see what your page looks like for us..check it out here:
MSN TV Developer Support Site
http://developer.msntv.com/

Posts: 622 | Location: Boston, MA USA | Registered: December 28, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Hi Byrna:

Thanks for the input. I plan to work on this a bit more over the next couple of days and see if there aren't some improvements that can be made.

Thanks also for the link to the MSN TV Developer Support Site. You have sent that to me before but I always forget about it. I'll give it a try when I troubleshoot the next go-round.

As for what you are missing...Well, there are no "exclusive" links. Just a bunch of links to NSU areas and sites that you've probably visited before. I just wanted to add the menu to make it easy for Card Talk readers to jump to other sites from (after reading Card Talk, of course!). And I haven't thought of a way to incorporate all these links without some type of menu system.

Here's what's there:

Non-Sport Update:
links to: NSU Home, NSU Card Talk, What is NSU?, In The Current Issue..., Upcoming Card Releases, NSU Links Page, Monthly Poll, Order NSU Merchandise, Contact NSU

NSU Store:
Subscriptions, Renewals, Single Copies, Special Items, Wacky Packages, Items, NSU Back Issues, Card Talk Forum Related, Order NSU Merchandise, Order Card Talk Merchandise

Card Companies:
13 various card company links

Other Links:
Card Talk Advertisers, eBay, House of Checklists

FAQs
Card Talk FAQ

Harris

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before this new navigation bar this page took 1-2 seconds to build. Now it takes 15-45 seconds! I haven't seen anyone else addressing this problem. Am I the only one?
Mike

Posts: 27 | Location: Sweden | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Patdata
posted Hide Post
Harris, as Ohiomike says above I have found the new navigation bar has slowed down the loading of pages. First the page loads but it appears frozen (no scroll down etc) then a few seconds later the new bar appears. After the new bar appears the page you have brought up ‘catches up’, so that if you started typing during the frozen period for example, nothing appears on screen until the bar loads and then suddenly what you typed will appear all at once (hope this makes sense). Its like it is causing some sort of time lag.

Also like Paul, the bar part covers the Card Talk logo at the top (can see CARDT and half of A)
I am using a 17" monitor.

I like the new navigation bar and can see a lot of thought and work went into it and I can live with both of these glitches, but just thought you might need to know about them.

Posts: 1098 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
OK, thanks ohiomike and Patdata for the additional input. Very much appreciated!

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
I've reverted our menus at the top back to the old ones for a number of reasons. Mostly importantly, though it's a bit hard to say for 100 percent certain, the menu was swelling Card Talk's bandwidth. Bandwidth usage is always a concern.

Also, as noted in this thread, several users were having various technical problems with it, and that too is a concern.

So for now, I am going back to the old html links. I hope to add in a drop down menu system at some point soon but with San Diego coming up, I am going to cut my loses and move on.

So look for a new Card Talk menu soon, where we'll be serving roasted fillet of chase card, stewed autograph, and more. Just not too soon.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Paul Russell
posted Hide Post
A valiant effort Harris...I liked it while it lasted Smile

Regards,

Paul Russell

"Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand things with alloys and compositions and things with...molecular structures." -- Ash, Army of Darkness

Posts: 1242 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: June 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Wendi
posted Hide Post
you can't leave or blink an eye around here without missing something!! I was gone for a few days and didn't even get a chance to see these new menus!!

Harris, I will look forward to seeing them soon!

Posts: 2211 | Location: IL, USA | Registered: February 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post