Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

June's Poll
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Komodo
posted Hide Post
I voted to keep prices lower.

Why not? It's definitely what just about anyone would want. Obviously, the more premium cards there are, the higher prices will go. I for one (being on a limited budget) have to draw the line on what I can buy. whether this means just getting a basic set, certain insert sets, etc. I've had to resort to not buy packs anymore- I miss opening them up, and finding premiums though. I truly can't afford buying up to 20 packs just to get a basic set, and premiums being a bonus in the process.

As far as I'm concerned, the number of insert sets have gotten way outta hand with many sets. This takes away from affording and enjoying many other sets a collector would be interested in. I truly don't see the point of making a large number of inserts, anyway. If anything, just make a larger basic set, and keep the inserts to a limit. I still like the idea way back when they had a sticker in every pack. why go overboard?

I don't buy on the premise of later value- it's solely on what interests me. Obviously, any premiums I don't want goes to help collecting stuff I do. smile

The idea of making 2 separate sets IE- Hobby & Retail makes those who are completists have to shell out even more money to complete a set.

Money which could have been spent on other products.

Is that a sign of keeping a market active, or dominating it?

Living the thrill of the chase

Posts: 1206 | Location: St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada | Registered: June 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Komodo -- seems to be according to the first part of your post you should be happy they are producing a hobby and retail version of cards so you can pick up cheap base sets. . .

They make less expensive sets with fewer inserts to collect and you still can't make the people who are looking for a less expensive product happy.

Why should manufacturers and collectors who want more expensive "hobby" sets suffer just so people who want less expensive sets don't have to pick and choose whether or not to get hobby or retail.

Bottom line. . . collect what you want. If you choose to be a completist deal with it. . . This hobby vs retail discussion is getting very old. No one is forcing anyone to buy or collect any certain cards.

Jo

box breakdowns, show reviews, rare autograph gallery and more: www.webjon.com/collect/index.html

Posts: 5417 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Komodo
posted Hide Post
The only reason I made the remark about hobby vs retail is because it fits into the insert game too (and the fact that someone else posted reminded me of it LOL). Even if I had the means to buy all I could possibly want, I still would pose the question "Why are so many sets being made with so many inserts?" It makes no sense to me. I've even heard dealers complain because there's so many- it's hard to keep up with the logistics involved, unless you specialize.

Yep- you're right. Bottom line is no matter what there is, I'll buy what I want. Whether it be just basic sets, the whole kit & kaboodle of a series, or totally ignore a company that took over the license. mad

Living the thrill of the chase

Posts: 1206 | Location: St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada | Registered: June 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post