Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Announcements    New Avengers DVD Contest
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Avengers DVD Contest
 Login/Join

Picture of #1hulkfan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kesmit:
It's a long time since I've seen any of them but the two that stick in the memory are the one with giant rats in the sewers and the other one they get trapped in a tower block by a malfunctioning security system.

Rufus: Very basic strategy. If your enemies know where you are then don't be there!

But think I too remeber some one or something being trapped. Ive got that feeling myself many times..
Wave

"Please Dont make me ANGRY, you Dont wanna see me ANGRY"

Posts: 171 | Location: San Diego , ca, usa | Registered: September 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of xSaBx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Russell:

There are substantial reasons why players go up to $2000 and beyond Wink

At the risk of getting into a fight I've had several times before, that all depends on why you watch DVD's. I can see no need to spend hundreds of pounds on an expensive DVD player when all I want to do is watch stuff in the bedroom to relax. I also see no point in an expensive player when Sam is still prone to posting items into it, or occasionally using the DVD tray when Mummy is not looking to launch Thunderbird One from...

One day when there are no kids maybe, but until then $50 players are *very* good...

--
xSaBx :: Mistress of Stuff ::

'I swear I am
completely unimpressed
by clever answers'

REMEMBER: Take out the
'removemefirst'
from my e-mail address to reply...

Posts: 5362 | Location: The South East, United Kingdom | Registered: June 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Prezkot
posted Hide Post
I gotta agree with Xbox, I mean Sarah (getting too close to ComicCon Wink)... I see no reason on spending $2000 bucks for a friggin DVD player when a cheap one will suffice for me. In fact, since my mum is poor, when I bought a PS2, I gave her my old DVD player. Yes I am aware that the PS2 doesn't tune in the DVD all that great, but so what...

But to each ere own...

"Tro-jan con-doms... Boy, I'd like to live in one of 'em!"- Abe Simpson
http://hometown.aol.com/prezkott29/myhomepage/sale.html

Posts: 1320 | Location: Phoenix | Registered: June 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of DoctorChristmasJones
posted Hide Post
I was actually pleasantly surprised with the picture quality of dvd's on my PS2.

Posts: 2272 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Paul Russell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xSaBx:
At the risk of getting into a fight I've had several times before, that all depends on why you watch DVD's. I can see no need to spend hundreds of pounds on an expensive DVD player when all I want to do is watch stuff in the bedroom to relax. I also see no point in an expensive player when Sam is still prone to posting items into it, or occasionally using the DVD tray when Mummy is not looking to launch Thunderbird One from...

One day when there are no kids maybe, but until then $50 players are *very* good...

For most people, you're absolutely right! It all depends on how "serious" you are about home theater. If you just want to sit back and watch a flick, a $100 player will do just fine. Other people, like yours truly, are quality freaks. My monitor (AKA TV) alone is worth $7000. My receiver is worth $5000. My speakers go for $1500 each (and there are 7 of them). My interconnect cables are $350 a meter and my speaker wire is about $100 a foot. This isn't an attempt to brag -- not in the least. It's only to illustrate the level in which folks will go to obtain the best quality (and, for the record, I have a "mid-level system" by home theater standards).

I too have kids. My daughter, who's 2, has her own DVD player (a hand-me-down of mine). My better half looks at me like I'm from another planet (to be honest, she actually thinks I'm from another planet) by how seriously I take my home theater - regardless of the fact it's also my job.

By the same token, most people think I'm nuts from the cash I spend on cards (I'm sure it'd feed a small African country).

Getting back to the point, I fully agree with what you're saying Sarah. Next to me I have 7 DVD players (if you count a DVD-ROM and PS2) ranging from $100 to $2000. I honestly doubt most people could spot the differences in performance between them...and there's nothing wrong with that. The most important thing about DVD is DVDing!

Regards,

Paul Russell

"Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand things with alloys and compositions and things with...molecular structures." -- Ash, Army of Darkness

Posts: 1242 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: June 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Paul Russell
posted Hide Post
Since this is a thread about favorite Avengers episodes, I guess I should chime in with mind. Without a doubt my two favorites are Who's Who (where Steed and Mrs. Peel swap bodies with a dastardly pair of infiltrators) and The Correct Way To Kill (the epitome of British propriety and poise).

Regards,

Paul Russell

"Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand things with alloys and compositions and things with...molecular structures." -- Ash, Army of Darkness

Posts: 1242 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: June 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Perfect Blue
posted Hide Post
I must confess to having never seen the Avengers (blame it on me being too young Wink) But if I'll win I'll be sure to let you all know my fave Big Grin

*Mike*
It's funny till someone gets hurt.....
Then its hilarious.

Posts: 829 | Location: United kingdom | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Paul Russell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perfect Blue:
I must confess to having never seen the Avengers (blame it on me being too young Wink) But if I'll win I'll be sure to let you all know my fave Big Grin

Mike, I'm shocked! How can someone from the UK not have seen The Avengers. Bad boy Wink

Seriously, you should check it out. The Original Avengers is quite amazing. Although I'm partial to the Dame Rigg era, all three eras are filled with good fun Big Grin

Regards,

Paul Russell

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kesmit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike, I'm shocked! How can someone from the UK not have seen The Avengers. Bad boy

Blame it on the lousy way TV stations treat this kind of program Paul,they hardly ever get repeated.
I think the only time I ever saw any of the originals was in the mid 80's when Channel 4 started broadcasting - cheap programming meant digging out the classics like Avengers,Lost In Space etc.

Kevin

Rufus: Very basic strategy. If your enemies know where you are then don't be there!

Posts: 668 | Location: Kent,UK | Registered: March 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Paul Russell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Blame it on the lousy way TV stations treat this kind of program Paul,they hardly ever get repeated.
I think the only time I ever saw any of the originals was in the mid 80's when Channel 4 started broadcasting - cheap programming meant digging out the classics like Avengers,Lost In Space etc.

We're definately spoiled here in North America. I have over 300 channels to choose from (and there's still never anything on).

Regards,

Paul Russell

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kesmit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Russell:

We're definately spoiled here in North America. I have over 300 channels to choose from (and there's still never anything on).

My god - it must take all day just to channel hop Eek

Kevin

Posts: 668 | Location: Kent,UK | Registered: March 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kesmit
posted Hide Post
...and I just realised the "" at the top of each message for quoting saves time,how slow am I ? Roll Eyes

Kevin

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Paul Russell
posted Hide Post
quote:
My god - it must take all day just to channel hop Eek

Nah, most of the channels are duplicates. For all the main US and Canadian networks I have a channel for each time zone (meaning I can watch the same programming many, many times in the course of an evening). Then there are the 15 or so news channels, the 40 or so movie channels, and so on. After all is said and done, I still have a problem finding anything to watch (this is only really true during the off-season).

Regards,

Paul Russell

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Perfect Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike, I'm shocked! How can someone from the UK not have seen The Avengers. Bad boy

Lol, well it is true what Kesmit says - I've never seen it come up on TV, not even 'UK gold' (vintage UK programmes)
I had heard of it before now, but never in any detail, and it has hooked my interest...

*Mike*
It's funny till someone gets hurt.....
Then its hilarious.

Posts: 829 | Location: United kingdom | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Paul Russell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perfect Blue:
Lol, well it is true what Kesmit says - I've never seen it come up on TV, not even 'UK gold' (vintage UK programmes)
I had heard of it before now, but never in any detail, and it has hooked my interest...

That's understandable... You should definately check it out. I still throw in the DVD's every once in a while for a quick pick-me-up Big Grin

Regards,

Paul Russell

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of anthonyd
posted Hide Post
Thanks to Harris, NSU, A&E and Paul for such a kewl contest!

Maybe next time we can have a Supermarionation series as the prize (like Terrahawks hint,hint)? Smile

-----------------------
Let's trade!

http://www.tony-island.com

Posts: 802 | Location: MA | Registered: March 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To be honest, I am more of a The Avengers fan, but I do remember seeing some of The New Avengers episodes when I was a kid. I remember thinking that Purdy was very cool and Gambit was very cute! I confess to not remembering any particular episodes.

Having seen lots of The Avengers on Bravo!, I can say that my favourites have Mrs. Peel in them. She got to drive sports cars, beat up the bad guys, and look great in the leather catsuit. What better role model could a girl want Wink

Sam

Posts: 94 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Paul Russell
posted Hide Post
You're right Sam, the Diana Rigg era was the best Thumb Up

Regards,

Paul Russell

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Prezkot
posted Hide Post
One week away from the Avengers auto'd DVD contest!! Bouncey

Let me jinx it for myself:

"I love California, I practically grew up in Phoenix." -James Danforth Quayle

My Personal Stash

Posts: 1320 | Location: Phoenix | Registered: June 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KenBenz
posted Hide Post
Just noticed it's the 17th! Do we have winners?

Ken

Got Cards?

Posts: 301 | Location: Rochester, NY | Registered: July 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post