Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Announcements    New Avengers DVD Contest
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Avengers DVD Contest
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted
Hi Everyone:

With apologies to Joanna, our Contest Czar, I wanted to tell everyone about a new contest we have going here on Card Talk and the Non-Sport Update website. 5 very luck website visitors will will the brand new New Avengers: Season One 4-DVD set AUTOGRAPHED by Patrick Macnee. The DVD's are being released on July 29th from A&E Home Video.

If you'd like to enter, click on this link to go directly to the contest page. Once you've entered, come back here and tell us about your favorite New Avengers episode.

Also, I'd like to thank Card Talk member Paul Russell for arranging this contest. Thanks a ton Paul!

Harris

Visit Non-Sport Update at www.nonsportupdate.com

[This message was edited by H_Toser on July 10, 2003 at 10:39 AM.]

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of tialessa
posted Hide Post
Cool contest!

And I'm sure Joanna won't mind since she's on holiday right now Smile

Lessa
http://members.fortunecity.com/smithsonian/

Posts: 5550 | Location: Georgia, USA | Registered: March 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
A nice idea, and I'm entering! (well, I might get a multi-region DVD player some day soon!)

It IS clearly noted in the prize description, but I feel I ought to remind people thinking of entering from outside ot fhe USA - these are Region 1 DVD's and so you will either need a Region 1 or Multi-region DVD player to play them!
Au REs.,
Paul

Sometimes, one pack is not enough...
http://www.users.waitrose.com/~paulbines

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
I have seen alot of talk concerning the regions for DVDs but have never seen any kind of breakdown about it... would you, or anyone else familiar (<cough>Paul Russel<cough>Wink with this give us a short rundown on this?

http://mtlhddoc2.8m.com

"It amazes me how people are so concerned with how fast their car goes from Zero to Sixty, yet dont care how fast it goes from Sixty to Zero!" - ME

Posts: 7774 | Location: Censored | Registered: November 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
It's been a long time since I've seen any episodes but any episodes with Purdy giving a kicking to the bad guys is a good episode.

Posts: 3251 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of TheUberBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mtlhddoc2:
I have seen alot of talk concerning the regions for DVDs but have never seen any kind of breakdown about it... would you, or anyone else familiar (<cough>Paul Russel<cough>Wink with this give us a short rundown on this?

I'm no Paul Russell, but hopefully this will suffice. From the dvddemystified website:

quote:
There are 8 regions (also called "locales"). Each region is assigned a number. Players and discs are often identified by the region number superimposed on a world globe. If a disc plays in more than one region it will have more than one number on the globe.
1: U.S., Canada, U.S. Territories
2: Japan, Europe, South Africa, and Middle East (including Egypt)
3: Southeast Asia and East Asia (including Hong Kong)
4: Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Central America, Mexico, South America, and the Caribbean
5: Eastern Europe (Former Soviet Union), Indian subcontinent, Africa, North Korea, and Mongolia
6: China
7: Reserved
8: Special international venues (airplanes, cruise ships, etc.)

Hope this helps!

-Bob-

"Future events such as these will affect YOU in the future!"

Posts: 2767 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of TheUberBob
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen the show since it was originally on the air back in the late seventies. If memory serves me right, CBS (or perhaps the local equivalent) played in on Fridays (Saturdays? No, I think Friday) in a late night slot. I'd always stay up to watch it. I think I actually saw this before I saw the original Avengers! The only episode I have any vague recollections of is the Cybernaut one which was a rare piece of continuity with the old show.

I just remember that this show seemed much more serious and less whimsical than the original, but that Joanna Lumley sure made an impression. I still think of her as Purdey, even though that's being slowly edged out by Patsy on AbFab.

-Bob-

Posts: 2767 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Paul Russell
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the mention Harris - it was my pleasure to help out Thumb Up

As requested, I wrote a long-wided explanation for Region Coding in the chatter area. If you're interested in finding out more, click here.

Good luck to all with the contest!!

Regards,

Paul Russell

"Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand things with alloys and compositions and things with...molecular structures." -- Ash, Army of Darkness

Posts: 1242 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: June 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of TheUberBob
posted Hide Post
Oh, I almost forgot to thank A&E Home Video, Harris and the rest of the NSU family and, of course, Paul Russell for this great contest!

Thanks you very much!

-Bob-

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
Any DVD marked as Region 0 will (should) play on any DVD player regardless of Region setting.

Posts: 3251 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Paul Russell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raj:
Any DVD marked as Region 0 will (should) play on any DVD player regardless of Region setting.

That is sort of true. An NTSC Region 0 DVD will only play on your UK PAL player if you have a converter.

Regards,

Paul Russell

"Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand things with alloys and compositions and things with...molecular structures." -- Ash, Army of Darkness

Posts: 1242 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: June 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of starwolf1001
posted Hide Post
you can make just about any dvd player a multi-region player with some downloading and a cd writter.

"No Amount of therapy will ever make this moment ok."

Posts: 9361 | Location: grants, nm, usa | Registered: June 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Russell:
quote:
Originally posted by Raj:

That is sort of true. An NTSC Region 0 DVD will only play on your UK PAL player if you have a converter.

Fair enough. The 2 TV formats I know are NTSC (North America) and PAL (Europe and the rest of the world - I think). My DVD player plays NTSC discs and has been hacked to play all regions - I've only tried Region 1 & 2 mind.

Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
quote:
An NTSC Region 0 DVD will only play on your UK PAL player if you have a converter.

Or if you have a NTSC compatable TV - usually means a SCART enabled TV.

Au Res.,
Paul

Sometimes, one pack is not enough...
http://www.users.waitrose.com/~paulbines

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Paul Russell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by starwolf1001:
you can make just about any dvd player a multi-region player with some downloading and a cd writter.

That's true - you can upgrade the firmware, but you immediately void your warranty.

Regards,

Paul Russell

Picture of starwolf1001
posted Hide Post
maybe, but i can get a pretty good dvd player for under $50.

and how much does it cost to send one back if it's damaged?

my last one was a sanyo, that lasted less then a year, and it was going to cost me nearly $30 to send it back to get repaired.

but that's not what this post is about.
sorry Harris Frown

to answer your question Harris,
i can barely remember watching the Avengers when i was little, so if i were to win, i would be seeing them in an all new light Big Grin

"No Amount of therapy will ever make this moment ok."

Posts: 9361 | Location: grants, nm, usa | Registered: June 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of gabfan
posted Hide Post
I have never seen a episode. Do I get kicked out of the thread now? Big Grin

Click Banner

Posts: 1241 | Location: USA | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Paul Russell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by starwolf1001:
maybe, but i can get a pretty good dvd player for under $50.

Hmmm, do I spot an oxymoron? The word "good" doesn't usually go with "under $50" when talking about DVD players. I'd say a more accurate word would be acceptable.

There are substantial reasons why players go up to $2000 and beyond Wink

Regards,

Paul Russell

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of MiniMe
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have seen alot of talk concerning the regions for DVDs but have never seen any kind of breakdown about it... would you, or anyone else familiar (<cough>Paul Russel<cough>Wink with this give us a short rundown on this? --- Mtlhddoc

--- Guess you guys must've missed when it was first explained (CLICK) HERE, in Dec. Wink

And ANY AVENGERS episode with Patrick Macnee is great. Big Grin Thumb Up

@@@ ScottEvil Cool

"I am a WATCHER, part of a secret society of men and women who observe and record but never interfere, we know the truth about immortals ....... In the end there can be only one !"

Posts: 4072 | Location: 40.71° N, 74.01° W | Registered: September 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kesmit
posted Hide Post
It's a long time since I've seen any of them but the two that stick in the memory are the one with giant rats in the sewers and the other one they get trapped in a tower block by a malfunctioning security system.

Rufus: Very basic strategy. If your enemies know where you are then don't be there!

Posts: 668 | Location: Kent,UK | Registered: March 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post