Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Announcements    January's Poll
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

January's Poll
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted
Hello:

We've just posted the poll for January. This month, we are asking about the new "Don't Let It Happen Here" set of trading cards from Monsterwax.

This set follows some classic non-sport sets such as the original Don't Let It Happen Over Here set, Horrors of War, Civil War News, etc. What do you think about the set? It's great? Too gruesome for your taste's? There are several choices to choose from. Take a minute to vote and then come back here and tell us why you did (or let us know if none of the views matched your own).

To vote, click here or click on the link at the top of this page. If you'd like to view results of our previous polls, click here.

Thanks.

Harris

Visit Non-Sport Update at www.nonsportupdate.com

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
There should be 1 more option I think. 'I'm not interested but they don't bother me'. That's my take on those cards and it really isn't at all close to any of the options listed.

Willow to Buffy:

I think you're ready now, or at least in the state of pre-readiness to make conversation, or-or to do that thing with your mouth that boys like.

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of starwolf1001
posted Hide Post
i just don't find these entertaining

"No Amount of therapy will ever make this moment ok."

Posts: 9361 | Location: grants, nm, usa | Registered: June 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
There not supposed to be entertaining.

It,s an educational set.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I am getting a set of these out of curiousity really.

But can I raise a question...
does the inclusion of promo cards with the latest NSU mean that they endorse the cards?

Posts: 1085 | Location: UK | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I would hate to think that the magazine endorsed or did not endorse a card set. It should stay completely neutral and report on all sets that are released.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Reporting is fine, exactly what an article should do.
But to me distributing promos is different.
They are not reporting but promoting in this instance.

Maybe its just me being slightly ill and deranged Twak

Posts: 1085 | Location: UK | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of DoctorChristmasJones
posted Hide Post
Ditto what Incarnadine said.

Posts: 2272 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
I personally am disgusted by these, I dont buy anything on card that I cannot show my 6 year old. I think there could be better ways to discuss or illustrate this without resorting to the pure goriness of this set.

http://mtlhddoc2.8m.com

Quote of the Week:

"I think I need a bigger box" - in Mexican accent - Chihuahua from Taco Bell Commercials

Posts: 7774 | Location: Censored | Registered: November 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
I did not vote either as the choices available were not to my liking.I would vote like incarnadine mentioned.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
"Kid Aluminum"
J.A.M.

Bernie...
Collect what you need and trade what others need.

If you would like to view my want/have lists,then go to my trading site at the following.

http://community-1.webtv.net/bgarza/SpiderGoblins/

Posts: 10448 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of DOUBLEooSEVEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mtlhddoc2:
I personally am disgusted by these, I dont buy anything on card that I cannot show my 6 year old. I think there could be better ways to discuss or illustrate this without resorting to the pure goriness of this set.

I would have to agree with mtlhddoc2 on this one, I dont think this is a great way to inform people, and find them in rather poor taste. Frown As a society we should'nt be promoting such events, but thats just my humble opinion.

'' Devoted Aluminum member '' who should probably be doing school work at this very moment.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Canada | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

NSU Elf
Picture of The Mouseketeer
posted Hide Post
I voted "I prefer to be entertained by my trading cards and I don’t find this entertaining." They certainly aren't my cup of tea, but far be it for me to tell anyone what to collect.

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." ~ Walt Disney

Posts: 2218 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Barbara C
posted Hide Post
I voted : It's too realistic for me. I do not like the violent nature of current event sets. Stangely, I have no problem with space battles in a futuristic time like Star Trek.

Posts: 3139 | Location: New Castle, DE USA | Registered: March 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Patdata
posted Hide Post
I went for
'We live in a more politically correct time then when those older sets were issued and these new cards are just too gruesome '

There are a few of the choices I could have ticked. As it seems to deal with events in recent history(unlike old sets like Civil War News), I find it a bit tactless and tasteless. The artist may even have worked from photographs in some cases, which raises even more questions about producing such a set so close in time to the events it depicts.

Aahhh, Beer! – The cause of, and solution to all our problems.

Posts: 1098 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of venom5liter
posted Hide Post
I'm with others that didn't vote based on the choices. The set doesn't bother me, but I won't be pursuing it since it doesn't fit in with my collecting tastes/genres.

Mike
Trade List | Want List

Posts: 1857 | Location: Sugar Grove, IL, United States | Registered: October 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
Picture of Over_Worked_Mom
posted Hide Post
My vote was :
I do not agree with the values portrayed by this set

Primarily because like Dan, if I can't show these to my son, then I'm not collecting them, plus,I just don't need to have that type of imagery in my home.

Though strangely, like BarbaraC, space battles and aliens are okay - I guess one is just too realistic and the other plays off a suspension of disbelief.

This is my personal point of view.

Posts: 4053 | Location: Lansdale, PA | Registered: January 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi all
Here is what I picked and did Wink
I am definitely interested in the "Don't Let It Happen Here" cards .
I alredy bought a box and a few extra packs. Thumb Up
I am Glad that I bought them when I first seen the add in the NSU magazine and now I realy enjoy reading the backs of the cards. Thumb Up
I was also sent a surprise set of promo cards in the mail with my order Thumb Up

The history on the backs of the cards is 100%correct and excellent. Thumb Up
Kurt is a excellent wrighter and the artwork by the artest is great too. Thumb Up
ALSO:
there are no chase cards Thumb Up
one box of cards make how many sets Thumb Up
all the check list are hand numbererd and different. Thumb Up
the boxes are hand numbered and all different Thumb Up
there is one artest signed card per box Thumb Up
there is one wrighter signed card per box Thumb Up
the packs are hand packed and sealed Thumb Up
the packs look just like the old wax packs Thumb Up
the print run is real small Thumb Up

At least with this card set a person does not have to buy how many boxes of cards to try to make a set Thumb Up

Posts: 1858 | Location: PAUPACK,PA-USA | Registered: November 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of angelchick182
posted Hide Post
I won't go into great detail, because I've only seen sample images of 6 or 7 cards, but I voted: I choose to be entertained by my trading cards, and didn't find this entertaining.

Posts: 1681 | Location: Nashville, TN, USA | Registered: July 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hoffmaster007
posted Hide Post
I agree with Card Master. It is an original art card set (something we lack nowadays!), and the backs explain what is going on in the other world today!! (other than ours!) The wrappers are wax like with a cute sticker about the nonexistent gum inside and a very neat auto in each box. Yes. some of the fronts are very graphic, but it's done in an art style and is totally explained on the back. I think today we focus too much on the picture on the front of a card and don't bother reading the backs! I know these are not for everyone, and I have NO problem with anyone that disagrees with my views of this set, but I had more anticaption, opening these packs then any in the last few years. These days everyone opens packs hoping to find the auto or rare chase card. SmileOriginal art sets are something we've lost over the years, and I've told Kurt I'd like to see something in the future with this artist, perhaps with a less conteversial subject. Something we can ALL enjoy! Have Fun and Great Collecting!! Smile

Posts: 161 | Location: Harrisburg Pa U.S.A. | Registered: August 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of TheUberBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Incarnadine:
There should be 1 more option I think. 'I'm not interested but they don't bother me'.

That's pretty much my feeling as well.

-Bob-

Drunken midgets crack me up.

Posts: 2767 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post