Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Announcements    Rules Reminder\Clarification
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rules Reminder\Clarification
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted
Due to a few recent posts which have been negative or derogatory concerning companies or dealers who post on this board, we feel that the community needs to be either reminded of the rules, or have them clarified.

These two items are in the FAQ (and have been since its inception):

quote:

Q. What about bashing?

Bashing is a post that while technically true, is extremely negative and hurtful. We don't want Card Talk to degenerate into a war zone or scare off the newbies, so if you think anyone (fellow Card Talk members, manufacturer, advertiser) might be hurt, don't post - take it to private email. It's the basic kindergarten rule: don't do anything you wouldn't want done to you.

quote:

Q. I just found out some juicy information about the ACME Trading Card Company! Can I post this?

Because often such information is rumor and innuendo, we discourage posting of gossip. We will not allow posting of proprietary company information such as financial dealings, contracts, etc. unless it is specifically posted by an authorized representative of the company in question.

The recent posts in question did exactly what the first "Q" warns against. The information, may or may not have been true, but Card Talk is not the place to be deriding anyone for their business. This is MUCH different than discussing, negatively, insert ratios or autograph signers. These recent posts were actually discussing business practices or individual dealings. This is a violation of the second "Q" listed above as well. Please remember, Card Talk is run by Non-Sport Update magazine. Anything on these boards which could harm their business practices and advertisers must be considered taboo. Anything which harms advertisers could harm the magazine which would in turn affect the board. If NSU ceased to exist, this board would too. Please keep that in mind before posting negative, or positive, information concerning dealers or companies and their business practices/policies without their express consent.

Thank you in advance for understanding.
Dan

{Minor edit for grammatical reasons}

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mtlhddoc2,

Posts: 7774 | Location: Censored | Registered: November 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Email sent, Wavey

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TAT
posted Hide Post
So Have I got this right? A person can rip you off in a trade or sale but as they are a member here too, you cant post a warning to other board members about them. The warning would be true but as it is bad against another member would you class it as bashing or not???

Posts: 192 | Location: ENGLAND | Registered: February 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TAT:
So Have I got this right? A person can rip you off in a trade or sale but as they are a member here too, you cant post a warning to other board members about them. The warning would be true but as it is bad against another member would you class it as bashing or not???

I remember a situation about a couple of years back where one member ripped off quite a few members in trades for autos(me included) and Harris did post warnings.But as far as anyone bashing the rip-off,I don't think we did,just warned.
It all depends I guess.There have been a few times where one member asks for input without mentioning the other trader,unless the other party chimes in.Maybe a mod will clear this up further,as this is different than what Dan mentioned in the topic starter.

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10449 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
I remember that warning too Bernie. That was a special scenario. We really cannot get in the middle of trade or sale disputes at all, to do so would make us no longer impartial.
And it really doesnt matter if they are a member or not. The only time we did the warning was for "Mark" AKA "Dakota" who has been a sale and trade scammer for a while. There are plenty of trade\sale feedback sites which you can refer to for trading issues, such as "GABB". If you feel a member has scammed you in a trade or a sale, feel free to email myself, Harris, or another of the mods. We will make a note of it, but for one incident, we really cannot take any action. That is between you and the person you traded with. If multiple people complain of bad faith trading or sales, we may post a warning, depending on the circumstances. This was the case with "Mark". These types of incidents must be on a case by case basis. We just cannot allow someone to post negatively about another person or business' business dealings or trading on this board.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Censored | Registered: November 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
Well said and very true.
Thanks Dan!

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10449 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
There are alot of things that can be done off-boards before something needs to be said on-boards. I would think that if you have a bad expereince, a factual presentation to Harris would allow him to decide if a more public airing needs to be done. But, so often, someone airs public dirty laundry that is not factual and sometimes not *the whole story* and offering up those sort of statements causes troubles.
Edited to remove an annoying spelling error

This message has been edited. Last edited by: STCardGeek,

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
I would like to add to what's been said here since I am the subject of many of these post but Dan, Lynne and Bernie have done such a good job that I really need not do it.

But then again, since I ramble on so much, I will. As they say, I do appreciate input. If I receive multiple complaints against a member, I will explore it. But, and again as they have said, we can not mediate every single exchange.

Thanks.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mtlhddoc2:
We really cannot get in the middle of trade or sale disputes at all, to do so would make us no longer impartial.

It's pretty clear that NSU is _not_ impartial. They are taking the side of companies, advertisers, etc.

See quote above:
quote:
Anything on these boards which could harm their business practices and advertisers must be considered taboo.

Let me be clear that I don't fault NSU for taking this position. The companies pay the freight, so they get priority. But let us also be clear that the position is not a neutral one.

Posts: 2206 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kjn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kennywood:
NSU is impartial when it comes to trade/sales disputes between buyers and sellers. Bringing advertisers and companies into the mix has absolutely nothing to do with what was said.

That's like my saying a parent loves both children equally, yet someone else saying that dad loves Fords more than Chevys. Both might be true but what would cars have to do with what was said about the children??

I might be wrong and I can't speak for him but from what I gathered from Bill's post is that he doesn't think NSU is impartial when it comes to our feelings as a consumer against the card companies. Because of what is in the Guidelines about no bashing of a company. It didn't seem to me like he was referring to trades and sales between individuals more so that he was just using that as an example. But then again I may be wrong.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kjn
posted Hide Post
Can't say I disagree with that line of thinking one bit brother. I would only expect NSU to be involved if it was a direct dealing with NSU. NSU is not a representative of Inkworks, Rittenhouse, Artbox, or any other card company and therefore shouldn't be expected to moderate financial dealings.

Now if Harris hosed me on a trade... Twak

LoL, just kidding I don't even know Harris personally and I know him to be a real stand up guy. I think it's a bit unfair myself to hold NSU to any degree of responsiblity when deals go sour for some reason. We're very lucky to be allowed the opportunity to trade on these boards, but that is and always will be a privilege not a right. It can be taken away as such, and I for one hope nobody ever screws it up enough to where someone has to step in and say it's no longer safe to allow us to trade on the board.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

NSU Elf
Picture of Over_Worked_Mom
posted Hide Post
quote:
If a member has a problem with a company, then deal directly with the company.

Yes please. Without you, I have no job Wink This message brought to you by a little thing called Customer Service ... Where without problems, we'd be bored to tears - and we can't have that now, can we Wavey

Posts: 4053 | Location: Lansdale, PA | Registered: January 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Over_Worked_Mom:

Customer Service ... Where without problems, we'd be bored to tears Wavey

I can send you some problems if you get bored. Wave

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
Picture of Over_Worked_Mom
posted Hide Post
I promise to call you on that day Wolfie Wink

Posts: 4053 | Location: Lansdale, PA | Registered: January 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Andrew David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Over_Worked_Mom:
I promise to call you on that day Wolfie Wink

Coo ! Might be worth putting in a complaint then ! Smile

Posts: 1719 | Location: Derby, UK | Registered: December 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post