Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Announcements    You Can Help StarWarsCards.net
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You Can Help StarWarsCards.net
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted
Hi All:

I received the note below from Cathy over at starwarscards.net last evening. Any of you who are members over there also received it.

The note is self-explanatory and last I heard, Cathy had already reached the 9-year mark from her generous members. I've posted this before but Cathy was instrumental is NSU getting Card Talk started way back when and has been a great friend ever since. In addition to being a great place for Star Wars card collectors, they do a lot of good stuff over there such as a charity drive every year.

I've donated a small amount and hope that if you are a member over, you'll consider doing so as well.

Thanks.

quote:
Way back when, I renewed the StarWarsCards.net domain name for 10 years, which meant I wouldn't need to renew until 2010, which seemed forever and a day away.

Can you believe the time has come to decide the fate of the site already?

Yes, it is time. The site expires in August of 2010. I'm required to renew the site in advance of that expiration time, and so I'm coming to you, the users and saying, what should we do!

There is no longer a 10 year option for renewals. I am registered with Network Solutions. Yes, I am aware they are more expensive than 'cheap' registrars. I'm also aware they are less likely to allow your domain to be poached, and are more likely to be here in 10 years. I prefer to stay with them.

Here are our options:
1. Don't renew at all. Turn over the site checklists to another website so they won't be lost. If we select that option, starwarscards.net goes away in August and the Collector's Connection will be gone, as will the free personalized e-mail addresses for those who have them.

2. Renew for 5 years. 114.95
We'd be here till 2015.

3. Renew for 9 years 161.91
We'd be here till 2019.

4. Renew for 20 years 279.80
We'd be here till 2030.

5. Renew for 100 years (seriously, they have this option) 999.00
Apparently, we'd be here longer than I'll be here, and I would need to make arrangements with some younger collector at a future time to take over the domain and site to ensure hosting would be continued. Renewing the domain does not include hosting costs, just the existence of the name.

As always, I will strive to maintain the website without advertising for whatever duration is selected. If financially impossible, I will strive for extremely limited advertising in future if we continue the site. Right now the site costs about $39 per month, and I am looking at whether a new upgrade on offer from the company that does the bulletin board we use would be helpful to making the site better. I am very aware my updates have not been frequent enough with the checklists, and some pages are a mess! That would bring us more in range of $59 per month, but might offer the ability for others to help maintain the checklist pages. I'm looking at that seriously because I want others to have more input in that area of the site. That feature may only be available at a higher rate, in which case we 'see' based on my budget. Monthly hosting costs are always on my dime, as I do not like the site having ads, and prefer strongly to keep ads away. I also don't want to be a site that makes a habit of begging from its users. The site should be free and should be a friendly place for everyone.

The site will continue, as it always has, to host at least one charity auction per year for a charity that has meaning to site members, and where donations can easily be made directly to the charity to prevent any type of fraud.

So, how do we decide? Well, you guys decide! But, what you decide in terms of the number of years we should re-up the domain name for, I would like for some help with that cost. Yes, I'm begging a bit. And no, I don't want one person to give a big amount, because that doesn't show that folks in general want to keep the site going. But if you really want the site to be around for you, your kids, and whoever, I'd like your help. Although the monthly hosting is in my budget for now, I foolishly did not budget for renewal of the name. I guess because my bosses didn't budget to give me a raise this year!

I have some options for those who donate something. For the first 25 folks who choose it I have 2009 Show Me Your Cards Postcards that have the added bonus that the artist has added a Vader catch phrase to the back of the card and 'signed' with his artist's signature (basically his initials, done creatively). Only 25 of these cards exist, so it will be a unique item to own. Done in red sharpie on the card back. The artist is from Hungary, so not easy to get him to sign these postcards and return them. Smile

OR, I have a much smaller number of the Leia/Yoda cards which were signed by the artist (Duncan) in both English and Japanese. Signature is on the Leia side in silver pen. If you get in early, you can select this item as your thank you item.

OR, for the first 8 people who ask, and who have donated at least $10 to the cause, I have the Yoda side of that particular postcard done as a magnet! But those are very few, and you have to be quick. And I will try to update when they are gone, but you know, donate because you want the site to stick around, not because you want the magnet. I can't guarantee any item will be available.

OR, for 15 people, you can instead select a set of two Revenge of the SITH lenticular morphing chase cards (Vader/Anakin of course) from way back in the day. ROTS is SO long ago already.

That's what I currently have to offer. Not exciting, but something. It's around 60 items. So, if 60 different people each donated $5, then the site would be able to be renewed for 20 years, with a few dollars left over to cover postage and things that are always turning up around here. And if 30 people donated $1 and 10 people $5, and you can see where I'm going. It doesn't take a lot to end up with the site around for awhile.

I'd like to do the renewal soon, so please make sure those who don't visit the site daily know about this post. Maybe I'll send it out as a newsletter item.

Either way, I will post updates here on where we stand. There is a donate button on the site that lets you donate via paypal. That's easiest. Make sure to include your address, and a note on what thank you item you prefer. If thank you items are gone, I'll try to contact you on a second choice. OR, if no one is interested, let's at least discuss in replies to this posts your thoughts.

To participate in discussion about the future of StarWarsCards.net, this post can be found at: http://starwarscards.net/eve/f.../6001036/m/317102513

If you are opted out, you should not have received this e-mail message, but if you hate this kind of thing, please login to the site to opt out. I *might* be able to do it for you, but need your username to do it properly. Thanks!

Cathy

* To stop receiving mail from the Collector's Connection, you must login to the site and change your profile settings to not accept periodic e-mails from board administrators *

Login at www.starwarscards.net/eve

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
Count me in as well! I don't follow/need any icky non-ST cards, but am totally behind the concept of specific niche sites out there who give invaluable info!

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
Picture of Over_Worked_Mom
posted Hide Post
Even I found a little money to send her way! She's already up to the 9 year renewal mark!! Way to go Smile

Posts: 4053 | Location: Lansdale, PA | Registered: January 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STCardGeek:
Count me in as well! I don't follow/need any icky non-ST cards, but am totally behind the concept of specific niche sites out there who give invaluable info!

Yeah, I appreciate that too. Seems to me we know someone else who does this.... Smile

And not to change the subject as I hope some of you will consider donating to Cathy's site, but congrats on post 4,000 OWM.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H_Toser:
quote:
Originally posted by STCardGeek:

Yeah, I appreciate that too. Seems to me we know someone else who does this.... Smile

Dude, if I ever though about what I spent, I'd likely die Smile Best not to.

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just sent $5 and i don't even have a single Star Wars card in my collection .
sumo

Posts: 1132 | Location: Cleveland Hts. , Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Just did the same

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
A site worth supporting, so I did!
Au Res.,
Paul

http://www.cardcast.co.uk/
Twitter: @ukcardcast

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
Always worth helping...Its on the way

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post