Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Announcements    "Card Master" Pleads Guilty
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
"Card Master" Pleads Guilty
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted
Hi All:

We've learned today that it has become a matter of public knowledge Ben Baker (known here on Card Talk as "Card Master") has plead guilty to the charge of "2C:20-3A THEFT BY UNLAW TAKING-MOVE". In other words, remember the theft of promos and other material from both Inkworks and Rittenhouse Archives at the October 2003 Philly Non-Sports Card Show? Well, Ben was the perpetrator. He has now been banned from Card Talk and I was very saddened and disheartened to hear of this, knowing now that this was done by a Card Talk member.

Baker plead guilty in order to avoid trial. Sentencing will take place in May.

We know that members will want to express their feelings about this but please be aware this thread may be closed at any time. Please be very careful what you say. There are legal ramifications to consider.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi_Collector
posted Hide Post
When I showed up at the Philly show that morning. That was all I heard about. Someone stole from RA and Inkworks.

I am "very" happy the person was found and hopefully the product was also recovered.

Does anyone know, was he a dealer or a collector?

Posts: 1602 | Location: Nevada | Registered: August 01, 2002Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
I am saddened to hear that a Card Talker would steal in the first place, and from companies that do so much for us in the way of products, customer service and free cards.
I am pleased that the culprit was found.

Posts: 1959 | Location: UK | Registered: December 09, 2004Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
I'm floored by this. I never met the guy. I am, however, quite happy he was caught.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Well I'm glad that the case has gone through to court but amazed that someone who very often was entertaining online could think of or do something like this

He's ancient and forever.
He burns at the centre of Time and he can see the turn of the Universe.
And...
He's WONDERFUL.

Posts: 1855 | Location: Urmston, United Kingdom | Registered: August 06, 2002Report This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
It's unfortunate for everyone involved. However, let's move on and have fun at next week's Philly show, and all work together to make our hobby fun and rewarding for all of us.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of angelchick182
posted Hide Post
Never met him, but read alot of his posts. Very sad to hear that a Card Talk member could be responsible for something like this, but very glad that he will be held accountable.

Posts: 1681 | Location: Nashville, TN, USA | Registered: July 09, 2003Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BILLZEE
posted Hide Post
WoW Eek I attended that show and remember that Rittenhouse had reported their Women of Bond in Motion P1 promos stolen, so there were none for me. Also talked with Uncle Alan who was really down about the theft of some one-of-a-kind display pieces. It was a big downer at the time that lingered... Frown

Thanks to the Tosers for letting us know the outcome of this!!! I always wondered if the perp would be caught.

Posts: 2236 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 19, 2002Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MikeFitz
posted Hide Post
He's an unusual guy for sure, but I never expected to hear something like that.

Thanks for the info Harris, though I'm surely bummed to hear it.

Posts: 1457 | Location: New England | Registered: January 02, 2002Report This Post
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
Well, I am glad its over finally. I knew it was Ben all along, since about 2 weeks after the show. Information like that has a way of spreading "unofficially" - I just hope he gets what he deserves, and that is a long prison sentence.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Censored | Registered: November 26, 2001Report This Post
Picture of steshell
posted Hide Post
Sad Frown

Posts: 234 | Location: Telford, Shropshire, United Kingdom | Registered: September 09, 2002Report This Post

Picture of Silverback
posted Hide Post
Big time bummer! Frown

Smokin'

Posts: 6113 | Location: Illinois | Registered: March 30, 2005Report This Post
Picture of Redemption
posted Hide Post
Very unexpected... Shake Head

Posts: 8466 | Location: Tormented Space | Registered: July 31, 2003Report This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
This is saddening news for sure.
Very sorry to hear that it was a card-talker that did this.
On the other hand,glad the true culprit was caught.

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10448 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
all that was stolen was cards, no one got hurt. no one's buisness was crippled, or their lifestyle greatly derailed. I hope that whatever drove him to steal non sports cards and ephemera related to, is something he is dealing with on a personal level. Prison time is irrelevant, i hope that whatever it was that drove him to that, he is dealing with and gets past it.

Posts: 1882 | Location: michigan | Registered: September 09, 2005Report This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zhamlau:
all that was stolen was cards, no one got hurt. no one's buisness was crippled

Honestly I think Inkworks and Rittenhouse might argue this point. They just had cards stolen, but some of these were prototype displays, master sets of yet unreleased properties, and promo cards which were destined to be given out.

The loss of the promo cards alone caused a loss of goodwill from collectors who were not able to have them on the second day of the show.

The fact that this case went to court should show that it was not "just cards." I know if someone walked away with part of my inventory I'd not turn away and say "it's just cards I hope they get some help."

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Report This Post
Picture of Silverback
posted Hide Post
I agree with Scifi Collector! He not only stole, he damaged the reputations of two card companies. Worse, he damaged the reputation of card collectors and his ex-fellow Card Talk members, maybe even Non-Sport Update.

I hope he gets help too, but not until after they sentence him.

Smokin'

Posts: 6113 | Location: Illinois | Registered: March 30, 2005Report This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I was at this show on Friday and Sat.

I remember talking with Doug from Inkworks shortly after the cardtalk breakfast.
I remember that the following was taken from the Inkworks booth.
All the promo cards to be handed out.
A complete master set of Buffy Season 7(all autos/pieceworks) and Smallville season 2.
All the signage. They had these really nice large display pieces for Alias, Buffy, Smallville, and something else.

I forgot all that was taken from Rittenhouse.

I've known for a few years too that it was Ben.
Glad to see that this is going to be resolved for Inkworks/Rittenhouse.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
quote:
Originally posted by zhamlau:
all that was stolen was cards, no one got hurt. no one's buisness was crippled

Honestly I think Inkworks and Rittenhouse might argue this point. They just had cards stolen, but some of these were prototype displays, master sets of yet unreleased properties, and promo cards which were destined to be given out.

The loss of the promo cards alone caused a loss of goodwill from collectors who were not able to have them on the second day of the show.

The fact that this case went to court should show that it was not "just cards." I know if someone walked away with part of my inventory I'd not turn away and say "it's just cards I hope they get some help."

Ed

No, i hear you. im not some moral relativist or anything. What he did was wrong, their should be punishment, maybe even jail time. BUT, inkworks was able to pull out from losing the promos without having to restructure to avoid bankruptcy. Rittenhouse didnt need to auction off the desks and chairs that month to make up for the lose. what happened, is that someone did some weak, selfish, and destructive. It happens millions apon millions of times a day, by millions apon millions of people. People are flawed and goofy. I was just saying, that yeah it sucks, and he really ended up causing a lot of people sadness and a sense of loss, but years of jail time, for stealing non-sport trade card promos from a distrubtor before they can be given out.

p.s. i know how much it sucks to get ripped. i once got lifted for a couple of grand worth of product in one show, about 1/2 of the value of my stuff at the time. I was upset, and it really did effect me more then losing these sketchs probably did, but in the end, all you can do is move on, hope their is justice in the end, and try not to let yourself feel hate over it.

Posts: 1882 | Location: michigan | Registered: September 09, 2005Report This Post
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
there was financial loss for two companies with a total emploee count, at the time, of 10 people... you dont think there was an affect? Plus the show promoter was affected due to lost table sales and lower attendence the next show, so, yes, there was loss, and the loss was not confined to a couple of rich people, it was a bunch of middle class people like me, and he deserves a stiff punishment for this... the max, which I believe in NJ is 3 years and 15k fine

Posts: 7774 | Location: Censored | Registered: November 26, 2001Report This Post