Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Announcements    New Forum - Set Building
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Forum - Set Building
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tialessa:
Box Breakdown forum - can "Art and Images of Xena: Warrior Princess" be changed to "Xena: Warrior Princess, Art and Images"?? Pretty please?

OK, done. Any more?

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Star*Mystyk
posted Hide Post
Couldn't decide where else to ask this...
What happened to this section? It's looking decidedly empty. Is it slowly being phased out?

Just wondered Smile

Posts: 3225 | Location: AU | Registered: June 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Star*Mystyk:
Couldn't decide where else to ask this...
What happened to this section? It's looking decidedly empty. Is it slowly being phased out?

Just wondered Smile

Nope, nothing so sinister. It's suffering from lack of use. Many wanted this and it seemed like a great idea, but to not make it look "decidedly empty", members need to use it! Smile

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
It seems to me that after all the requests and excitement, very few people actually use this forum. Even with new releases (where greatest activity would be expected), many sets have only 1 post or even don't appear.

Is it time to reopen discussion about how to make this work? My suggestion would be to group things somewhat. In particular, any TV show (or movie) with multiple seasons/sets could have all the seasons in a single discussion. People are more likely to look at a Buffy or Stargate thread if that's all it has.

My 2c worth, Jen

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Peter cloet
posted Hide Post
The problem is alsothat almost every box you buy from new series and sometimes also old series has a full set. So most people don't need to trade to get the full base set.
But it's indeed usefull for people who buys packs and others that can trade them for something else.

A belgian hiphop group

Posts: 3634 | Location: Belgium | Registered: January 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post
If you don't use it , don't knock it.

Posts: 2894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Peter cloet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ace of Hearts:
If you don't use it , don't knock it.

I check it sometimes and always try to help some people. So I don't use it to post put always check if people need something.

A belgian hiphop group

Posts: 3634 | Location: Belgium | Registered: January 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Dump it , waste of space
sumo

Posts: 1132 | Location: Cleveland Hts. , Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
Picture of Over_Worked_Mom
posted Hide Post
*I* have used it, rather successfully. My collecting focus has narrowed considerably and the set bulding forum helps me complete sets which I've picked up packs of from time to time. I say, Keep it. It serves it's purpose Smile

Posts: 4053 | Location: Lansdale, PA | Registered: January 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
I think it should be kept. The general trade board is unmanagable, to me at least. Who has the time to wade through every members want/trade list? I know I don't have that kind of time. The set building section allows me to focus on sets I am working on, along with other members.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sumozilla:
Dump it , waste of space
sumo

I don't use it much myself but i think it is far from a waste of space and should be kept running.

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:
Originally posted by sumozilla:
Dump it , waste of space
sumo

I don't use it much myself but i think it is far from a waste of space and should be kept running.

Apparently not many people use it all except for a handful who list stuff .
There's 130 sets listed
53 have no replies
32 have 1 reply
That's 65% with little or no response . Doesn't seem like a good use of space to me .
I was one of the first to post on setbuilding just to see if it would work , i even remarked that i had little expectation of success .
My original posts have been deleted due to lack of interest .
I'm sure the space could be used for something else that CardTalkers are interested in .
sumo

Posts: 1132 | Location: Cleveland Hts. , Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I know I was particularly discouraged, as I spent a *lot* of time putting up my trading lists in the Set Building forum, and keeping them updated. I went back some time after, and they were almost all gone.

They weren't out of date to me, as my needs and wants hadn't changed, but I guess they were auto-erased after a certain time, or after a certain time without activity.

As a result I wasn't really excited to use the forum again after all the work I had put in pretty much disappeared...

otim

Posts: 700 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
Picture of Over_Worked_Mom
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm sure the space could be used for something else that CardTalkers are interested in

So, I'm curious - you must have something in mind. What else would you be interested in.

For the record, I also agree that the trading forum is unmanageable and I never go there unless instructed by a specific person to look for a specific thing. I do peruse the Set Building forum frequently although I don't necessarily post every time I read something - I suppose I should to help preserve the posts though ...

Posts: 4053 | Location: Lansdale, PA | Registered: January 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by otim:
I know I was particularly discouraged, as I spent a *lot* of time putting up my trading lists in the Set Building forum, and keeping them updated. I went back some time after, and they were almost all gone.

They weren't out of date to me, as my needs and wants hadn't changed, but I guess they were auto-erased after a certain time, or after a certain time without activity.

As a result I wasn't really excited to use the forum again after all the work I had put in pretty much disappeared...

otim

Hi Guys:

I've been reading through these posts. We do not have anything on the forum set to auto-erase. We do, however, occasionally prune posts/threads. There is no set rule on how things get pruned but I usually delete things older then about 6 months, figuring that at that point, you have either gotten what you are looking for, no one else has it, or no one else is going to bother to find your old post.

Anyway, I am curious as to why two of you have now posted that your posts were gone when you went back to look for them. How old where they?

Thanks.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Harris - i knew my posts were going to be deleted . Got a pruning message and since there weren't any responses i let them be deleted . Got better responses from card trading .
OverWorkedMom - I have nothing in mind but i'm sure someone has some ideas . I think the promo sections seem to be working well - lots of interest . Maybe an Auto section would be of interest [ i'm not an Auto collector but it seems a lot of CardTalkers are ] or maybe some of the more popular sets could have their own section - Buffy , LOTR , Star Wars , Star Trek
[ i don't collect any of those either ]
Card Trading - maybe i'm in the minority , but , everytime i log on i go to Card Trading , i have no problem going thru peoples lists and i've become well acquainted with who's trading what so i don't have to look at everything because i know we have no collections in common .
sumo

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, I'm curious - you must have something in mind. What else would you be interested in.

As I said ages ago, I think it would work better if multiple sets were grouped by subject matter. For example, all Stargate SG-1 set building posts would be in the same thread, regardless of specific season. I believe most people who collect one season of an ongoing series collect almost all of them so this would make it easier to look for cross season trades as well as reduce the number of trade lists each contributor needs to keep track of. For some of the larger genres it might be useful to have 2 threads (eg Buffy season sets and Buffy nonseason).

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H_Toser:
quote:
Originally posted by otim:

otim

Hi Guys:

I've been reading through these posts. We do not have anything on the forum set to auto-erase. We do, however, occasionally prune posts/threads. There is no set rule on how things get pruned but I usually delete things older then about 6 months, figuring that at that point, you have either gotten what you are looking for, no one else has it, or no one else is going to bother to find your old post.

Anyway, I am curious as to why two of you have now posted that your posts were gone when you went back to look for them. How old where they?

Thanks.

I don't recall a time frame, though it was some time ago as I had put up a ton of lists shortly after the forum was created since I thought it was a great idea.

I'm sure it was a reasonable amount of time, and some things have to go to make room for the new, I get all that. It was just a little disheartening is all.

To me if my wants and needs are still current then it's not an 'old' post, and if no one has come across it yet perhaps someone will start collecting that set tomorrow, or log in to Card Talk for the first time and find it - but perhaps that's all just wishful thinking...

otim

Posts: 700 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of hollypop
posted Hide Post
This is my first card forum and it also makes it my first forum where card trading is done.

I've searched through pages of the trades but I don't have a large want list and I'm only focused on one set at a time (for the most part).

I've been trying to put together Buffy Memories and have found that the set-building threads will help me more than the trades threads. I just think it depends on an individual and what their wants and needs are - not to mention what makes them feel comfortable doing.

I would like to see the set-building area stay. That's my two cents Big Grin

Posts: 1458 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: May 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post
It would be great if autographs were not the main focus of card collecting.

Posts: 2894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post