Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

March's Poll
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted
Hello:

We've just posted the poll for March. This time we are asking about sell sheets (thanks for the suggestion Kevin!). There has been a few threads lately about sell sheets so this seems like a timely topic.

Do you collect them? Is your collection incomplete until you find one?

To vote, click here or use the "Monthly Poll" link at the top of this page.

Once you have voted, come back here and discuss it. Tell us your thoughts!

If you'd like to view results of our previous polls, click here.

Harris

Visit Non-Sport Update at www.nonsportupdate.com

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
And I said "Very Important" anyone who knows me over the past year knows how much I desire sell sheets - as much as promos. Its all Lynne's fault - she went and sent me a sell sheet last March or so and COMPLETELY hooked me!

http://mtlhddoc2.8m.com

Posts: 7774 | Location: Censored | Registered: November 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of xst
posted Hide Post
I love sellsheets and I like to get them if I can.

Happy Stargating!

Posts: 1395 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: June 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Joe McKinney
posted Hide Post
I don't bother with them myself.

A good name is more desirable than wealth or fame.

Posts: 976 | Location: Clayton, Alabama, U.S.A | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of TheUberBob
posted Hide Post
I like them, but I doubt I'd go to a whole lot of trouble to look for them.

-Bob-

"I'd take a bullet for safety."

Posts: 2767 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Kristy
posted Hide Post
I love to have them but can't always get them.
I take one of each that my store gives me even if I don't want them because i figure someone will. I keep one for every set I have and I try to trade for or buy the ones I need. But since I won't spend more than a couple of bucks on one I am always missing quite a few.

"How dreary to be Somebody...."

Posts: 1042 | Location: Modesto, CA USA | Registered: November 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Sell sheets are great. As a collector of sell sheets i have a large amount of them and also a long list of extras to trade.

The sell sheet is as much a part of the set as the promo card or the display box and wrapper, your binder is never quite complete without one.
I have the starship troopers master set in the binder but can,t get the sell sheet and somehow the collection just doesn,t feel complete without it.

The condition of the sell sheet is also important, it must be flat and mint( ish ). If it is folded it is ruined and of no use to a sell sheet collector.

There are various types of sell sheet and they range from the simple one sided A4 type to the lavish fold out type which Topps seem to like.
Prices for sell sheets fluctuate all over the place and are far more exspensive in the uk than they are in the usa. Most sell sheets seem to sell for a few dollars in the usa but over here you can see prices as high as $15--25 for the hard to get ones.

My collection contains many sheets for sets that i have no intrest in buying the cards for and some where i find the sell sheet more intresting than the actual cards.
They are also a great refrence item as i can find out anytime how a set was made up and what was included where for a set from years ago simply by pulling the sell sheet.

So there you are, if you like the sell sheets you will know what i mean and if you don,t save them think again, i have a feeling that in a few years time sell sheets are going to be very sought after,allready the prices are starting to rise as more people become aware of what they have been missing.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
I have a folded Starship troopers sell sheet - but I am looking to upgrade that to a mint one - if I find one at Philly, I will buy two (if I can) If I only get one, you can have the unfolded one Smile I am chasing that set right now, along with Titan AE - 2 of my favorite 90s "cult" movies

http://mtlhddoc2.8m.com

Posts: 7774 | Location: Censored | Registered: November 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MikeFitz
posted Hide Post
I call them "sold sheets" because I've yet to get my hands on one BEFORE the set was already out for a time.
Being a visually oriented person, like most of us cardhawks are, I like sell sheets. If I were not spending too much money on cards already, I'd go after them. As it is, I pick them up when I can, at shows. The distributor I buy my occasional box from, informs me that they don't receive them from some companies and get very few from others.
This is a major East Coast company I'm talking about. I think it would be great if, when you ordered a box, you could get a nice packet of "coming attractions" with it. It seems to me they would generate interest - or wasn't that the point?

Find out what you like in life... and collect it!

Posts: 1457 | Location: New England | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dan. You can have my breakfast. Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Joe McKinney
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I think sales sheets have been struck by the same curse as promo cards. There are a lot of short-sighted dealers who prefer to sell them for a quick, small profit rather than give them away in hopes of gaining a larger sale in the future.

Joe

A good name is more desirable than wealth or fame.

Posts: 976 | Location: Clayton, Alabama, U.S.A | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of anthonyd
posted Hide Post
I found the second and fourth answers to be close to what I think of sell sheets, but I ended up voting for #4.

I have a small handful, I do find them nice (useful) but don't go crazy to get them all.

Actually, I consider the ads in NSU to be as close to a sell sheet without being one.

What do you think (about the NSU ads as sell sheets)? Here, I'm talking about the full page ads that Topps or Inkworks might take out which have all sorts of set description in them -- not the smaller ads that just describe a set.

-----------------------
Let's trade!

http://www.tony-island.com

Posts: 802 | Location: MA | Registered: March 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of comicbookfan
posted Hide Post
I try to get a sell sheet to go with my binder but I am not overwrought when I miss one. I do find them a handy reference that are quicker to reference sometimes than looking for the checklist card. I have always kept interesting adverts so I started gathering sell sheets even before I became aware of their place in the set.
I have sell sheets for both items I collect and ones I probably will never chase. My criteria for keeping them is are they visually pleasing to me. If yes keep, if no offer for trade. However I can't think of any that have failed the visually pleasing test Cool

Posts: 1089 | Location: florida | Registered: December 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vorpmi2
posted Hide Post
I like the sell sheets. As of now I only have a few, but I think they add to the set. I get them when I can, but havent started actively chasing them....yet. As time goes on I am sure I will try for more.

If you can laugh at yourself....you will always be happy.

Posts: 278 | Location: Ohio | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
I don't collect wrappers, boxes or sell sheets. I like CARDS and consider all the other stuff just as the *things standing between me and my cards*
Now, the boxes and wrappers and sell sheets that Rittenhouse puts out are like pieces of art, I'm telling ya...and I've consigned a few collections where the person very lovingly kept all his boxes and such, and I thought it looked good, but it's never appealed to me. I give away the sell sheets I'm sent as a dealer and sell them if I still ahve any after say 6 months or so. When I first became a dealer, sell sheets were HOT and SkyBox had sent me a pile of 'em and I sold them and used the $$ to buy more pretty cards Wink Sell sheets are more common now and companies send a stack, rather then just one, so they've become ever so much easier to get.
I use them on the website, too. RA has a pretty strong website presense now, but before they were around, the sell sheets were our first peek at the upcoming sets and as soon as I got mine, I'd scan all of it and post it on the page to whet people's appetites. I still do, but don't find it as necessary as people can pop over to the RA website and see lots of pretty images.

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of DisneyChick74
posted Hide Post
I only collect the sell sheet if I have the set the others I aquire are traded or Dan adopts them Big Grin
I treat them as a part of the set and dont feel the set is complete without them.

WHAT??! Did everyone Eat their CRAZY flakes This morning? ~XANDER

~~~WILL WORK FOR CARDS~~~

Posts: 1055 | Location: Cinderellas Castle | Registered: July 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Dobby The House Elf
posted Hide Post
I have some that I've come across, because of being on a mailing list, but
other than my Smallville sellsheet, I am not attatched to any of them. I will
trade mine for anything, just to help out the people that do collect them. I
just can't start another part of the hobby, my wife would kill me!!

Dobby: still a guy, even though my avatar is Chloe
http://www.geocities.com/race51fan/

Posts: 3469 | Location: The Cupboard Under The Stairs, 4 Privet Drive, Little Whinging, Surrey | Registered: September 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
I don't actively hunt them out, but I am fortunate to have ben sent some in the past. They are nice in the front of the binder.
Au Res.,
Paul

Sometimes, one pack is not enough...
http://www.users.waitrose.com/~paulbines

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of MiniMe
posted Hide Post
- Started collecting them, as well as promos, over a decade ago, before anyone really knew what to make of them or wanted them. Smile

@@@ ScottEvil Cool

"I am a WATCHER, part of a secret society of men and women who observe and record but never intefere, we know the truth about immortals ....... In the end there can be only one !"

Posts: 4072 | Location: 40.71° N, 74.01° W | Registered: September 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Patdata
posted Hide Post
Got my first one of these from Kevin and I definitely see the attraction. As Wolfman says they are not that easy to get in the UK or Ireland but now I have yet another thing to chase after! Elephant Elephant Elephant

Posts: 1098 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post