Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Announcements    February's Poll
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

February's Poll
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted
We've posted a new online poll for the month of February. This month, you get to vote for the top 10 TV series you would most like to see made into a card series. Your choices are: E.R., Everyone Loves Raymond, Friends, Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, and Will & Grace.

It's been a while since any of the manufacturers has produced a series for something like this (except for all the sci-fi/fantasy titles which generally don't get into the Top 10). The last one I can remember is Home Improvement and that was 7 seven years ago! Who knows, maybe one of the manufacturers will decide to take us up and produce a card series for the winner.

Take a minute and vote here: http://www.nscardcollector.com/cover_poll.shtml

Also, comment here on why you picked your choice. Or perhaps a title we left out.

Harris

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i picked "FRIENDS", but i just as easly could have picked "EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND" ( a better written show than friends ), or "ER".

the reason i picked "FRIENDS" is that it's one of the best sitcoms ever made in our country.

they take risks with story lines, somtimes those risks payoff with big laughs, somtimes they don't.

staying power is another reason i pick "FRIENDS", most sitcoms date quickly ( as opposed to dramas ) but reruns of this show still hold up very well.

my last reason is the physical attraction of the female stars, at first it was the only reason i tuned in, but after a while i realized that the show has alot more going for it in terms of creativeness and as i mentioned before risk taking.

and also quality, there's no substitute for that.

as for titles you left out i think "GILMORE GIRLS" for reasons i pointed out in my other posting.

Posts: 44 | Registered: February 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
Wondering if you can add NONE OF THE ABOVE or OTHER to your monthly polls? It would be great to enter alternative selections.

Posts: 4229 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
XTime: Sorry. The polling software doesn't allow for write-ins, though we could have "none of the above" or "other" if we wanted to. Who would you pick if there was a write-in spot? Since the question is about Top 10 shows, there really are not many other choices except maybe The West Wing.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
I voted for Friends, even though I've never watched the show, just because it has such a big following. I can't see card sets of Raymond, E.R. or Will & Grace. Most of the sucessful card sets based on TV shows have a sci fi or fantasy background, which seems to have more cult appeal.
I 've been thinking though that a set based on Who Wants to Be a Millionare would be cool! You could have subsets of the players who made it to a million, those who almost made it, and the ones who lost on the first question.
Chase cards could be autographs of the celebrity players, Regis's Finest cards (of Regis's snappy outfits) and a sound card of Regis asking "Is that your final answer?"

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
To be honest, I don't think I'd be massively interested in a set based on the US version of "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" - I'm more or less bored of the UK original!
I'm only familiar with 'Friends' and and 'ER' out of the list, and neither grabs me - 'The West Wing' I would go for (Actually, this cound be a good set - there could be a subset or chase set featuring some of the other fictional Presidents of recent years; perhaps, even, a subset devoted to "Washington; Behind Closed Doors"!)
"Frasier2 would be interesting - there could be sound cards (a la Rittenhouse Archives 'Star Trek in Motion') with samples of some of the callers to Frasier's radio show!
Au Res.,
Paul

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
I don't keep up with any Top 10 listing,
but I think sets based on The Practice and J.A.G. would be interesting. Especially, with costume and autograph cards.

Posts: 4229 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Of all the choices none did appeal to me as far as producing for a card set. Sure, they are all excellent shows to watch--but, how would you entice others to purchase them, etc.?

Does a show necessarily have to be a so-called "Top 10" show to be a good set, or even a set one would like? How about shows that are very popular and not in the Top 10, or even popular shows that seem they should be in the Top 10?

7th Heaven, for example. Now, this is a set that I believe would have much appeal. Add chase cards (such as autographs, or perhaps something else) with good quality cards, and you have yourself a nice set.

What do you all think?

Marvin

Posts: 7 | Location: Moreno Valley, CA, USA | Registered: February 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post