Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Chatter    Photobucket is now charging for third party hosting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Photobucket is now charging for third party hosting
 Login/Join

NSU Elf
posted
Not sure if everyone has heard but if you use Photobucket to host your pictures they now want you to pay. Was noticing a lot of the discussions had this instead of pictures:

I believe they want $400 a year to let you keep posting your pictures.

I switched a few months back. Couldn't stand Photobucket anymore. Obviously you need ads to support the free version of the site but when it gets to the point that it bogs the site down and makes it user unfriendly it is time to go.

If you don't want to pay the $400 give Imgur or Flickr a try. There are other sites too.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Curler
posted Hide Post
I had just started using Photobucket before that change. Frown

Posts: 381 | Location: Nova Scotia | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Seems to be the start of companies asking for paid subscriptions for services that used to be free for users, but funded by advertisers. Now they want it both ways, although $400 for Photobucket seems insane. Don't know how they won't lose nearly all their business.

The AOL Desktop software, which was free, has turned into AOL Gold at $4.99 per month. If you didn't agree, they discontinued your desktop access, but you can still read and use your email thru aol.mail.

I refused and lost access and boy am I glad I did not accept Gold. It is a disaster. Nothing works the same, it crashes, people can't discontinue the subscription, there are complaints posted all over the internet. It was working fine when it was for nothing. Next thing they will try to dump free email accounts altogether.

Don't think that Facebook and Twitter and Snapchat and Google and all the rest aren't going to go this route some time soon. Their shareholders will demand the revenue stream. They don't realize that, if its not free, people may get smart and figure out that they really don't need it. Wink

Posts: 10408 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
I use Imagebam 99% of the time except when I post on the other site that doesn't like me...... Incognito!

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of NIK
posted Hide Post
Okay so I can switch to one of the other website hosts mentioned but what about the 200 pieces of art I had on Photobucket. None of it is visible now, all my work down the drain unless I pay them $399.99?!! That's outrageous! Is it even legal what they have done?

Mars Attacks Uprising, Hobbit Battle of the 5 Armies, Star Wars Masterwork, Marvel Premier 2014, The Hobbit an Unexpected Journey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Mars Attacks Heritage, Marvel 70th Anniv', The Prisoner, Star Wars Galaxy 4, X-Men Archives, LOTR Masterpieces II, Vampirella, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Dr Who, Marilyn Monroe and CSI sketch card artist.

Posts: 518 | Location: London UK | Registered: November 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NIK:
Okay so I can switch to one of the other website hosts mentioned but what about the 200 pieces of art I had on Photobucket. None of it is visible now, all my work down the drain unless I pay them $399.99?!! That's outrageous! Is it even legal what they have done?

Not being a lawyer and having never used Photobucket, I don't know, but my guess would be that it is in the fine print of the user agreement that you had to approve when you signed up.

Its proprietary software and I'm pretty sure that you will find some vague wording about how you are only renting their space and you have no rights to anything once you get discontinued by them.

That doesn't mean you can't pursue some arrangement where you get access to at least copy your artwork since that is your profession and you didn't know you could get locked out. You may have to get some legal help though, as I'm sure you are not the only one who really wants their stuff and Photobucket wouldn't take such a big step unless it's confident its within its rights.

That still doesn't mean they won't grant exceptions if you have a lawyer's letter and a good reason. It's worth a try anyway, but if it costs you more than the $400 they want, well then they have you.

Posts: 10408 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NIK:

You can still log in to your account and access the images you just can't use Photobucket for third party image hosting.

What you will need to do is download the images back to your computer and then upload them to the new service you are using. I heard you can bulk download the images but I do not know how.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I downloaded my Photobucket images a page at a time to a flash drive until I had them all. It took about a week. Then I cancelled my Photobucket account.

Posts: 2508 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
I downloaded my Photobucket images a page at a time to a flash drive until I had them all. It took about a week. Then I cancelled my Photobucket account.

It was pretty easy for me to switch to Imgur since I always kept a copy of all images on my computer, flash or DVD. Just had to re-create the albums on the new site and upload.

Going to keep doing that for when it happens again.

posted Hide Post
I still used Photobucket. Didn't pay their 'ransom' though. I use a 'workaround' when Posting photo's. Just add ~original at the end of the link. Like so:

Posts: 21 | Location: Devon UK | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
That's an amazing discovery! Thanks for sharing!

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post