Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Chatter    2013 NFL Season
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2013 NFL Season
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Headless Horseman
posted
Let the opening of the 2013 NFL Season begin tonight, with the mighty Fins playing the Cowgirls! As I just informed my wife, there will be football every week through the end of the year! Yes, that was screaming that you just heard!

Big Grin

Posts: 1112 | Location: Freehold, NJ, USA | Registered: January 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
well that's a good start, lost already. Frown

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
No, we can't have football yet. Every sports reporter is in Chicago following A-Roid. No one cares about Sanchez or Tebow yet, the back page is all A-Roid all the time. Big Grin

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That guy is a train wreck!

Posts: 1112 | Location: Freehold, NJ, USA | Registered: January 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
whats an A-Roid?

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
We have a baseball player named Alex Rodriguez and his nick name is A-ROD, a shortening of his name.

He came to the Major Leagues right out of high school pretty much in the mid 90's and was immensely talented and soon became the games highest paid player and on our highest profile team, the New York Yankees.

It turns out he's been using performance enhancing drugs seemingly throughout most of his career, with one of them being steroids, so his once endearing nickname is now often mocked by people who dislike him with the term A-Roid. That's not the only way to do it, either. A-Fraud is another I've heard.

He's made 300 million dollars in his career already including 18 million for not playing at all this year. He's been suspended but is appealing that, and with the attorneys he can afford, he should be able to make 9 more million this year.

He's suspended for next year, too, but if he can fight that successfully, he stands to make another 100 million on the last 3-4 years of his contract. And all of that is just salary, not endorsements, of which he used have a lot more, before all the scandal.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
whats an A-Roid?

If you haven't heard of our great baseball legend Alex Rodriguez in the UK you should count yourself lucky. Big Grin He ran around with Madonna, before Kate Hudson, if that helps. Wink

Its all about HGH and suspending players that were using banned substances. A-Rod is the highest paid player in the major leagues and they are trying to suspend him for 211 games, roughly through to 2015. I say trying because he is fighting it and is pretending to be the poor victim.

Baseball has been tainted first by steroids and now by performance enhancing drugs since the late 90s. Nearly every record that has been broken in the past 15 years is in question and Hall of Fame candidates are being rejected because they are suspected of doping. As a huge baseball fan its been very depressing to watch players, owners and the Commissioner's office let it happen because everyone was making money. Now they all have gotten religion and want to clean up the game, or so they say. I'll believe it when I see it.

Anyway, maybe we should get back to football, because you know all those guys are clean. Wink

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
COLT POWER! Big Grin

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
The stars have aligned and the time is nigh for the Rams to return to the top of the heap (and to Los Angeles, already, this St. Louis business is getting ridiculous!).

Speaking of cheating, the Rams would've certainly won a second Super Bowl against the Patriots in 2001, but the Patriots coach was caught (sadly too long after the fact to do anything about it) sending an underling to secretly film his opponents practices and using that film to prepare his team to play against the unfairly spied on opponent. His name is Bill Belichik and he has not been properly punished for what he did either, and has grown immensely wealthy as a result of his suspect methods.
All we can do as fans of the (numerous) teams that were cheated by him in this way is take comfort in the fact that the Patriots Super Bowl wins are tainted in the minds of many as a result of his despicable actions, and certainly the one against the Rams (but again, they weren't the only ones he cheated).

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
COLT POWER! Big Grin

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Why would you need to take drugs to play baseball, most of the time you are just standing still out on the field. Confused

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Why would you need to take drugs to play baseball, most of the time you are just standing still out on the field. Confused

Big Grin You are a student of the game.

I feel the same way when I watch Soccer. Everybody's running back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. Every 45 minutes somebody kicks a ball in the direction of the goal until some team wins 1 - 0. It is riveting stuff. Big Grin

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
The stars have aligned and the time is nigh for the Rams to return to the top of the heap (and to Los Angeles, already, this St. Louis business is getting ridiculous!).

Speaking of cheating, the Rams would've certainly won a second Super Bowl against the Patriots in 2001, but the Patriots coach was caught (sadly too long after the fact to do anything about it) sending an underling to secretly film his opponents practices and using that film to prepare his team to play against the unfairly spied on opponent. His name is Bill Belichik and he has not been properly punished for what he did either, and has grown immensely wealthy as a result of his suspect methods.
All we can do as fans of the (numerous) teams that were cheated by him in this way is take comfort in the fact that the Patriots Super Bowl wins are tainted in the minds of many as a result of his despicable actions, and certainly the one against the Rams (but again, they weren't the only ones he cheated).

Bill Bellacheat is the best coach in football, just ask him!

Big Grin

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Fin power tonight!

Thumb Up

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
It's a good night for football! Good football not that silly stuff they play in England! Big Grin

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
It's a good night for football! Good football not that silly stuff they play in England! Big Grin

Oh, you've seen West Ham then have you. Big Grin

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Colt Power ???????????

Dolphin power. Thumb Up Clap Elephant Dance

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I am not a Jets fan. I am not a Mark Sanchez fan. But how stupid can this origanization and Rex Ryan be.

They threw away last season with their quarterback problems. It was apparent that they gave up on ever getting Sanchez to be a first rate quarterback, what with lame Tebow pacing the sidelines. So they go into the offseason and get rid of Tebow to bring on a piddling college quarterback Geno Smith who didn't even finish up his days well and right away he's making noises like he will take over the team.

So of course Smith's practice and first starting game last night are lousy. Now the Jets should realize that they are again stuck with Sanchez because they have no one else better at QB. So what does Rex do? He puts Sanchez in with 11 minutes to go in a meaningless pre-season game behind a third string offensive line and lets him get pounded into the turf, hurting his throwing shoulder in the process.

The Jets have been disrespectful of Sanchez for way too long. He has an 8 million dollar contract, if they didn't want him they should have gotten a veteran QB and let him go. Now they have Geno, who doesn't know where the end zone ends or which team he is throwing the ball.

If I were Sanchez I would hold my shoulder and come back after they are 0 - 4. Ryan should be shown the door, even his press conferences are getting weird.

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

The Jets have been disrespectful of Sanchez for way too long. He has an 8 million dollar contract,

I wish they would come and be disrespectful to me. Roll Eyes

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:

We call our game football because we use the foot!! American Throwball is more accurate Big Grin

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post