Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
2013 NFL Season

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8426067952/m/9037046236

January 20, 2014, 03:44 PM
chesspieceface
2013 NFL Season
I'm a lifelong Rams fan, so it was nice to see the 49ers get knocked out, although that injury to Bowman was extremely unfortunate, and not even crediting him with the fumble recovery that I'd say was as well earned as any in history was simply criminal. That kind of play will be reviewable next year, guaranteed. I hope he's back at full strength as soon as possible. He's a great player.

The Seahawks have been benefitting from lucky calls for years now, but the last time they were in the Super Bowl, they were on the other end of that, and that helped the Steelers, who were thoroughly outplayed that day steal away with the game. Even so, I don't want the Seahawks to win this one either.

Hopefully, the Broncos will win by 20 points or so. Should that happen, we'll all be able to say we've seen the greatest season any player has ever had, possibly in all sports, thanks to Peyton's unprecedented regular season numbers AND his finishing it with the Superbowl trophy.
(Tom Brady had the numbers and an even better perfect no-loss season going into the Super Bowl a few years back, but the Giants spoiled it all on that miracle catch.)

February 03, 2014, 05:44 AM
wolfie
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:

I don't want the Seahawks to win this one.

Hopefully, the Broncos will win by 20 points or so.

Just not your night then. Big Grin

February 03, 2014, 09:20 AM
Raven
What an embarrassing game! If that was not the worst Super Bowl ever, it was certainly the worst I have seen. I was rooting for the Broncos to win, but I really just wanted to see a great game. To come out like that was awful, all hype, no substance.

Even the commercals stunk. Cars, beer and internet. I missed some of the Bud ads, but saw 90% of the rest and can't remember one I liked.

Bruno Mars put on the only worthwhile show of the night.

When is the NFL going to drop that two week layoff? Never I guess. The one year they did, it was a great game. Then they went back to two weeks.

NJ did not do well with this planning. Don't believe what the spokesmen are saying right now. Most of the out of state fan money was spent in NY rather than NJ. The ticket prices dropped. The train service was overwhelmed and people were fainting in the heat waiting for trains to get home hours afterwards. The security was massive and fools still got to places they shouldn't have.

All and all it wasn't worth the trouble. Big Grin
February 03, 2014, 01:10 PM
chesspieceface
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

I don't want the Seahawks to win this one.

Hopefully, the Broncos will win by 20 points or so.

Just not your night then. Big Grin

You can say that again! Not only did the Seahawks maul the Broncos, but we have a game where you can buy squares on a one hundred square grid for $2 each, and then the numbers are filled in randomly once all the squares have been sold. Additionally, one team is randomly assigned to the X-Axis and the other to the Y-Axis.

They way it works is that at the end of each of the four quarters the last numerals of each teams score creates a set of coordinates and whoever's name is in that square on the board gets $50. For instance, when it was Seattle 8 and Denver 0 at the end of the first quarter, whoever had 8 for Seattle and 0 for Denver won the $50. The way it worked out at the end of the 3rd quarter, when the Broncos scored their lone touchdown, I just needed them to kick their extra point and I'd have won the $50 having the correct 6 for the Seahawks at that time and the 7 for the Broncos. Instead, they went for what turned out to be a totally needless two point conversion instead of the extra point, and the $50 went to the person with the 8 for the Broncos instead of me with my 7. If the two point conversion had failed, it would've went to the box with 6 for each team. In other words, once they didn't line up for the extra point, I knew I'd lost it. That was pretty whirlwind, since they scored the touchdown on the last play of the quarter anyway, so with all of that happening, the winning square moved 3 times in less than a minute. That was a little excitement, at least.

As far as the game, hats off to the Seahawks, who just had WAY too much for the Broncos to handle. It's not always the case, but the NFC was just a superior conference this year. I think any one of a number of the NFC teams (including the Arizona Cardinals, who had the same record as the 49ers, but missed the playoffs on a tie-breaker) could've beaten the Broncos yesterday. I don't think they were ready for the noise. I wonder if that was Seahawk fans who made the trip, or if it would've been that loud no matter what.

As for the commercials, the Radio Shack 1980's spot was pretty good, but about 75% of them, mainly the ones for trucks and beer, pretty much have to be dumbed down, since those companies don't want to go over the head of their target audiences. The Anheuser Busch Clydesdale horses and the smaller animals that fall in love them or want to be them are now at the height of ridiculousness having jumped the shark some time ago, and must be stopped, somehow, some way, please God.

The Colbert Pistachios ads were funny, and I liked it that immediately after Scarlett Johanssen's spot for Sodastream, within the same block of commercials, there was a simple ad for some other company that said something like "Maybe next year, we'll spend a few millions dollars to hire a celebrity for a stupid commercial, but this year we're going to pass the savings on to you instead".
On the other hand, I remember Scarlett was pushing Sodastream, and I can't remember what company made the clever ad mocking expensive celebrity spots, so there's that.

Entertainment wise, the movie trailers were OK, especially "Spider-Man 2". "Transformers", they seem to have made even more idiotic (as if that was possible), and it's pretty sad to see that Aaron Paul's big movie after the triumph of "Breaking Bad" is a lame ripoff of the possibly even lamer "Fast and Furious" series. Fox did a series of short spots that at the end revealed the date for the "24" movie with Kiefer Sutherland, which was great for fans of that show, I'm sure.

February 03, 2014, 02:26 PM
wolfie
quote:

I think any one of a number of the NFC teams could've beaten the Broncos yesterday.

I could have beaten the Broncos yesterday, they would have been Wolfiefied. Big Grin

February 03, 2014, 07:46 PM
Logan
I was totally wrong on this game. I was convinced Denver would win fairly comfortably. A lot of times a game like this could be a fluke and I would say if they played again tomorrow, I would still pick Denver. But not after seeing what I saw last night. I would pick Seattle now if they played tomorrow, next week, or next year. That was total domination in every phase of the game and they are clearly the better team. The real Super Bowl was actually two weeks prior when Seattle played San Francisco.