Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Chatter    What else do you collect?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What else do you collect?
 Login/Join

NSU Elf
posted
Curious as to what else you collect. Collecting is a borderline addiction so I am sure that most of you collect or have collected something else. I used to collect stamps, coins, glass bottles, action figures, sports cards, the list goes on. My collecting(or as my wife likes to put it hoarding) gene has been passed on to my son. He doesn't really collect cards but has gone through a few phases already. Ben 10 action figures, Pixar cars, Bakugan, McFarlane sports action figures and now Monster Trucks.

By the way if anyone wants to trade cards for state quarter proof sets let me know Big Grin

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Mister E.
posted Hide Post
I collect shot glasses, from places i have visited or from friends going to other states. Wish I could get some from overseas and museums from around the world.

Posts: 2744 | Location: Haverhill, Ma. U.S.A. | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
I actually started with comics and got into cards from there, so I have an extensive collection of all sorts of DC comics related stuff: small statues, phone cards, pogs/tazos, stamps etc.

My partner would say that I also collect books (currently about 1500), CDs, musical instruments and general clutter. I would argue that those are all things I actively use rather than collections.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Before I collected cards, I collected military items. I have a large collection of uniforms, helmets, knives, canteens, and over 2000 patches and insignia items. I've cut back because of $, had 2 kids in college and such.
Since I got into cards, this hobby has off-shooted into autographs, action figures and comics, but those are fairly small collections.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I collect pennies you smoosh in machines at tourist-y places.

Posts: 1569 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I agree about the whole addictive personality thing, but one obsession generally leads to another. I did regular sportscards for many years, but then started to collect autograph sportscards. Collectors had little regard for signed cards until card manufacturers started putting certified autograph cards in their products. Then everyone wanted an autograph card collection and it became too much to handle.

I switched entirely to non-sport autograph cards just about ten years now. Plus keeping the other hits, like sketches and material cards, and the sets I like. If I ever get tired of doing that I don't think I'll take up anything else.

The only other thing I have too much of is Fenton glass animals, but I wouldn't call it a collection, just nick-nacks. Big Grin

Posts: 10399 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Potato Head
posted Hide Post
Comics, circa 6000 (sucker for variants) and Arsenal FC mugs Clap

Posts: 751 | Location: UK | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
comic books, graphic novels, DVDs, pressed pennies, Disney!
Ouch Too much!

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Mister E.
posted Hide Post
There's a lot of places in Boston, Ma., if anyone needs the squashed pennies.

Posts: 2744 | Location: Haverhill, Ma. U.S.A. | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
I collect props/wardrobe from movies and tv shows. So far I have over 10 from BSG, a few from Caprica and a bit from The X-Files, V and Moonlight. I also have a few replicas as well.

My other collecting hobby is Sideshow/Hot Toys figures - but I only have a few of those, it's really a new hobby and I only collect a few different licenses.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
Hey Sidewinder Wave
My brother collects Hot Toys, he's got lots of the different mark# of the Iron Mans(he's got like six so far and all he can talk about at the moment is the next one coming out), he's got a quite few from the Terminator license(Judgement Day and Salvation) and His favourites are his Batmans. He has four different Jokers, I'm always saying to him they need to make the Nursy one now and then you'll have a complete set of all of Jokers different costumes. Three different Batmans, Scarecrow and Two Face. I tease him all the time saying he has more dolls now then I did growing up Big Grin

I myself am a bit like Tangent, I have heaps of books, I sort of love hardcovers Smile and more CDs than I have space for, but there's no way I'm getting rid of them and the number is always growing Roll Eyes
But I don't really class that stuff as collectables because I use them, I am however collecting the Electric Tiki Buffy Statues which I love, and they don't take up too much space and are easy to dust Big Grin

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I collect pins (Hard Rock and Disney), although I've had to narrow my focus down a bit as there are way too many being produced now. I also have a small collection of animation art and Disney stuff (mostly art/theme park related).

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hey barobehere and Mister E. - if you want to trade pressed pennies, let me know! The only ones I don't collect are the generic ones you see at rest stops ("Lucky Penny", etc.). I prefer ones that have the name of a place or city on them.

Laura - I was into animation cels for a little while. Among them some of my favorites are one of Mr. DNA from Jurassic Park, some Ghostbusters, and an awesome Ren & Stimpy with both characters on it from my favorite episode! Ah, the early days of Ebay when there was nobody else bidding against you....

Posts: 1569 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've been collecting comic books since i was a little kid , still do , I love the 1960's Marvel , DC & Gold Key comics the best , I collect anything Tarzan related , old books & old newstrips , non sport trading cards , sketches , autographs , Vintage Movie Posters , Big Little Books , Original Art , Food premiums , advertising memorbilia , Military propaganda posters , Lenticulars , art glass marbles , statues & mini busts...

Posts: 1176 | Location: Rochester , NY , USA | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Juelle Lou:
Hey Sidewinder Wave
My brother collects Hot Toys, he's got lots of the different mark# of the Iron Mans(he's got like six so far and all he can talk about at the moment is the next one coming out), he's got a quite few from the Terminator license(Judgement Day and Salvation) and His favourites are his Batmans. He has four different Jokers, I'm always saying to him they need to make the Nursy one now and then you'll have a complete set of all of Jokers different costumes. Three different Batmans, Scarecrow and Two Face. I tease him all the time saying he has more dolls now then I did growing up Big Grin

I myself am a bit like Tangent, I have heaps of books, I sort of love hardcovers Smile and more CDs than I have space for, but there's no way I'm getting rid of them and the number is always growing Roll Eyes
But I don't really class that stuff as collectables because I use them, I am however collecting the Electric Tiki Buffy Statues which I love, and they don't take up too much space and are easy to dust Big Grin

Haha - Some guys collect absolutely everything, it's insane, I know of several that have spent over 25K a year on figures OMG Smile

You collect the Electric Tiki Buffy Statues - well Buffy's the one product I get from SS Smile I have the Throne of the Slayer maquette that is 1/5 scale, Spike is arriving THIS WEEK, seriously can't wait for that, plus I've still got the Faith Exclusive on waitlist and am hoping that converts. Angel will be out 3rd quarter this year and looks amazing.

Hot Toys I only have the Christopher Reeves Superman - it's such a great likeness and as a Smallville/Superman fan, I just had to buy him, bit of a spur of the moment thing. Now I'm just waiting for HT to get their act together and finally release 1/6 Jake Sully from Avatar -it looks fabulous Smile

Your brother must be in heaven with the amount of Batman/Avengers stuff HT release and re release, it's crazy.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid I never "collected" anything. Except keeping my old toys in the attic, from house to house, decade to decade. But I was more into making models and drawing...as hobbies.

When I got out of college I read a lot, so I have a few 'good reads' about the house.

But in my mid to late 20's I started collecting Star Trek merchandise or basically anything that had Star Trek written on it {action figures, books, comics, models etc}, so I have quite a bit of Trek memorabilia in storage. And trading cards became an off shoot of that, I guess.

I just got back into collecting cards two years ago after a 13-15 yr hiatus. I never had a big collection back then and after two years I'm close to finishing off all those incomplete sets I've been looking at for all these years.

F

Posts: 1319 | Location: Rhode Island USA 02889 | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
What do I collect? Too much.
Besides cards, I collect many busts. Some statues and sketches. I've collected pins, tins, glasses.....just about anything out there.

Mostly related to Marvel and X-Files. But quite a bit of Star Wars, Walking Dead, DC, Alien, Predator................

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of willgull
posted Hide Post
Original comic artwork, King Kong drinking glasses. WWII stuff, Ambrotypes, Movie Props and wardrobe(!!!), smushed pennies, foreign coins, DVDs, Civil War stuff, Pixar cars (from the 1st movie, not the 2nd!), Tim Wolfe figures, Police Challenge coins, Fossils, Star Wars stuff and Star Trek stuff and a whole lot more. Looks like most of us that have posted have somewhat related interests.

Anything Jaws or Gangs of New York related is currently of interest to me right now (hint hint Thumb Up)

Posts: 809 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Lovemesomecards
posted Hide Post
I just recently got into comics and nonsports cards, so those are my main "collections."

I have in the past collected Carnival Glass. I had a pretty nice collection, but left it with the ex when we split.

Posts: 749 | Location: Rockford,Illinois | Registered: July 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
What is Carnival Glass?