Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Chatter    What else do you collect?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What else do you collect?
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Lovemesomecards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sidewinder:
What is Carnival Glass?

Carnival glass is pressed glass, always with a pattern and always with a shiny, metallic, 'iridescent' surface shimmer. It was in its heyday in the 1920's. There are many many patterns, shapes and numerous colors. It was made for every day usage. There were water pitchers, plates, compotes, vases, dishes, punch bowls and tumblers. I always thought the purple and orange colors were the prettiest. Orange was fairly easy to find at estate sales back in the mid 80's when I collected.

Posts: 749 | Location: Rockford,Illinois | Registered: July 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
I have a piece of Carnival glass from my Grandmother. It is an irridescent green sugar and cream set on a glass tray. Really neat looking.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Lovemesomecards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ifish73:
I have a piece of Carnival glass from my Grandmother. It is an irridescent green sugar and cream set on a glass tray. Really neat looking.

Do you know what pattern it is? Some of the patterns are exquisite.

Posts: 749 | Location: Rockford,Illinois | Registered: July 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lovemesomecards:
quote:
Originally posted by ifish73:

Do you know what pattern it is? Some of the patterns are exquisite.

I don't have a clue. The pattern that holds sugar and cream for your coffee? Razz

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Currently Collect:

*Trading Cards:
-Non-Sport (Always),
-Sports (Sometimes),
-CCGs (On/Off).

*Lobby Cards: German Cinema and select American cinema.

*Comics: Buffy The Vampire Slayer/Angel (Faith)/Spike (Dru).

*Graphic Novels: Buffy The Vampire Slayer/Angel (Faith)/Spike (Dru).

*CDs: Select artists but this is become more difficult with artists choosing to release digitally rather than physical formats. Plus damaged jewel cases are becoming difficult to replace.

*DVDs: Used to be generally but over time I became more selective ie Box Sets & German Cinema.

*Autographs: Across many forms: Trading cards, Photographs, Album covers etc.

Used to Collect:

*Action Figures: Charmed series, Horror Movies.

*Vinyl: Coloured Vinyl, Picture, Favourite artists rather than rarities.

*Magazines - Non Sport Update/Charmed/Buffy/Angel & various SciFi and Music titles.

*Books - Generally but also lots of Charmed.

*Stamps: Considering taking this back up for Olympic stamps and American stamps.

*Interesting Coins/Currency.

*Instruments/Musical Equipment - Primarily guitars.

*Posters: Mostly music with some movie and general art.

Over the past 3-5 years I've cut back dramatically, selling what I can or giving it away to other collectors or charities (If they knew what the 'collectable' items were).

Not made much money on the cutting back and still spending lots on what I am currently collecting but it's freed up a lot more space Thumb Up

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TC00,

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
-Trading cards - all non-sport now, but I occasionally hunt for certain vintage baseball cards.

-Autographs.

-Original art & signed prints

-Vintage (and vintage looking) Halloween items.

-Garage kits - resin figures and busts that I paint.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dcole,

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BGH
posted Hide Post
Some nonsport.
Wade Flaherty (retired hockey goalie)
Hockey players who played for teams in Kentucky.
New York Islanders
Christmas music (especially stuff we get signed)
Dr. Dolittle (the Rex Harrison version, not Eddie Murphy)
Grizzly Adams (the Dan Haggerty version...not the real one)
Some Mego...mainly Planet of the Apes
Vintage Christmas stuff...depends
Star Trek..not everything, but a bit

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BGH,

Posts: 52 | Location: KY | Registered: May 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of <<<<ALDO_NOVA>>>>
posted Hide Post
I collect stuff from the World Hockey Association, as I grew up not far from Winnipeg, which had the best team in the league! Love the interesting logos some of the teams had! Got to see the Avco World Trophy up close, beautiful!

Posts: 217 | Location: Where you can't find me!!!!!! | Registered: August 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rwn410
posted Hide Post
I used to have a massive figure collecting habit, but I stopped after I had about 300 ish solely on the basis that I had no room - my old bedroom gave Harry Potter's cupboard under the stairs a run for its money. About 30% of them were MOC and were placed all over the walls... I still have almost all of them, but having moved out of my parents house in 2009, I have moved about 8 times since and they have moved about four times so they're in a state of constant storage. I also used to customise them (and still do on occasion for fun projects)

T-shirts. I accumulate them, no rhyme or rhythm, just those that are interesting or nerdy. Kind of Sheldon Cooper-ish on that front.

DVDs, I watch a lot of movies, so have about 700 and the shelves are always in a state of overflowing carnage.

I'm a bit of a stationery fiend. Can't help it. Used to be an art student, and then an architecture student, and so many crazy materials and instruments have amassed from those alone.

Posts: 398 | Location: UK | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
In order from childhood to now (In bold is what I still collect):

Stuffed Animals
Polly Pockets
Barbie Dolls including Disney variants
Collectable Card Games
Stamps
Stickers
Non-Sports Cards
Coins
Graphic Novels
Comic Books
Autographs
Magazines
CDs
DVDs
Action Figures / Boxed Figurines
Sports Trading Cards
Guitars and Music Equipment
Vinyl Records
Lobby cards
Books
Postcards

You wouldn't believe I'm a minimalist these days. My room as a kid was like a museum of collectables.

My collections these days are very neatly stored away, taking up as little room as possible.

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My collecting intereste are varied over the years I have collected the usual early cards stamps postcards at present I collect Inkworks Promos Box and case cards and a couple of other issues on hold are Murano glass figures Bottles M&m dispensers larger coloured glass vases decanters etc and glass figure biscuit containers only if they interest me now

Posts: 758 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My baby niece, now 10, has said I have too many collections. I started as a kid with Topps baseball and football cards in the early 70's. When Star Wars came out in '77, I got into those cards and the stickers from General Mills cereal (still missing one!). I also liked those fold-out poster magazines that were released monthly for the first trilogy. Last year, I upgraded one of the ESB ones because the corners were eaten up by pinholes.

I have a few toys but almost none in the original box. On my nightstand I have a glow-in-the-dark Creature from the Black Lagoon, a wind-up Creature, a Batmobile, a Shelby Cobra, two small shark models from an aquarium in Japan, and a plastic Moschops (prehistoric animal) made in the 70's.

I still have most of my records and cassettes from when I got into music in the early 80's. It's a lot of 70's stuff with some 80's (but mostly 80's albums of 70's artists) like the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Doobie Brothers, Steve Winwood, Dan Fogelberg, and Billy Joel. I like a few of these "newer" artists like Sheryl Crow.

Last year, a friend was tossing a bunch of albums in a dumpster. I rescued some cool James Bond soundtracks out of there. What, is he nuts?

These days, it's mostly promo cards but I started collecting fossils in the late 80's, specializing in shark teeth. I'm pretty content with that collection so I spend more on books/publications than specimens. I like some of the old guides/magazines from the 80's or before so you could say I collect those too though they are useful references.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
You sound a lot like me, so much for being unique. Big Grin

But to be fair, I never considered myself a collector of vinyl records, cassettes, VHS tapes, DVDs, books, magazines, etc. I just accumulated them because I used them and then kept them. Lately I have been going through a purging stage of the things I just no longer need and have found clearing up space to be satisfying also. Wink

I am not getting rid of anything I regard as my collections like autographs, cards, figures, or a couple of other collectibles that I wouldn't admit to on Card Talk. Big Grin

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I know what you mean. I bought only albums I wanted to listen to and I listened to them. I understand people liking an album just for the cover art or whoever was popular. Some people have a variety of albums because they've hosted a lot of parties or they have truly wide tastes in music.

I can't believe people who just throw albums or books away. They could take them to used bookstores and record stores (sometimes the same store) and trade in for something they want. It's just easier to toss them in the dumpster. My friend threw out albums, books, and 60's opera/play programs (his dad used to have a radio show, talking about music). I'm glad I got those James Bond soundtracks.

Since the 80's, I've moved a few times. I used to have two record players. Now, I can't find one.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
You sound a lot like me, so much for being unique. Big Grin

But to be fair, I never considered myself a collector of vinyl records, cassettes, VHS tapes, DVDs, books, magazines, etc. I just accumulated them because I used them and then kept them. Lately I have been going through a purging stage of the things I just no longer need and have found clearing up space to be satisfying also. Wink

I am not getting rid of anything I regard as my collections like autographs, cards, figures, or a couple of other collectibles that I wouldn't admit to on Card Talk. Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I can't believe people who just throw albums or books away. They could take them to used bookstores and record stores (sometimes the same store) and trade in for something they want. It's just easier to toss them in the dumpster. My friend threw out albums, books, and 60's opera/play programs (his dad used to have a radio show, talking about music). Jess

It's not that easy to find people who are willing to pay for vinyl records or books, even if its just a couple of bucks. Going to a business is even worse. Found that out when I was sorting through decades of stuff in the garage.

I have a record store by me and I brought in boxes of 45s and maybe 30 albums. I would say that they were late 70s up to when cassettes took over, well known groups and artists. The owner only wanted a few albums and 45s. He said that people don't ask for 45s and only certain albums move. I get that, but he just passed on some great music and did not care. I think its just a matter of changing taste. People of the same generation have this stuff if they wanted it and younger people are into funk and rap. Didn't have any of that. Wink

Anyway I got like $15, which was not worth me dragging the stuff over there and I'm not doing it again. Selling used books? No one is even reading books when you hear them. You can put books out for free with no takers.

I wound up giving a lot of good things away to my friends and neighbors and dumping the rest. I hope it brings me good Karma because it sure didn't bring me anything else. Big Grin

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
It irritates me when people throw good condition, useable items into the trash when it can go to goodwill charity stores.

I appreciate some format items like VHS tapes can be difficult to unhaul since some places won't take them anymore. But they can't be recycled either. Items like that just take a bit more research to find a suitable place to donate rather than putting them into dumpsters.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have found a few things at Goodwill stores. You can get cheap binders in pretty much new condition. I found a really nice Triceratops figure for $3 (probably $20 when new), and early this year, I bought a Jim Croce album for $3 too. That album is worth more than that.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by TC00:
It irritates me when people throw good condition, useable items into the trash when it can go to goodwill charity stores.

I appreciate some format items like VHS tapes can be difficult to unhaul since some places won't take them anymore. But they can't be recycled either. Items like that just take a bit more research to find a suitable place to donate rather than putting them into dumpsters.

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
If anyone has unloved VHS tapes I know a young man who collects those. No Joke.
I know a laser disc collector.
I know a cassette collector.
Name a toy line from the 70's or 80's, I know a collector. You can find the collector easy, getting a offer that is not super cheap from them is a different story!

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
I just did an ebay search for 8 track tapes. 66,775 hits.

Been going to a bunch of concerts since I got back from Afghanistan. It looks like I am becoming a stage thrown guitar pick collector. Not to mention a few drumsticks and set lists. ;-)

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of jademaliburoad
posted Hide Post
I had too many vhs tapes, I used to collect 80s Hasbro dolls (in boxes now), trading cards, autographs, Marilyn Monroe, Outlander.

Posts: 1188 | Location: France | Registered: April 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post