Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Chatter    Frederic Szymkiewiez R.I.P.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Frederic Szymkiewiez R.I.P.
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Elaine Perna
posted
I was just sent a message from a friend of (Szym) Frederic Szymkiewiez that he had passed away yesterday due to a heart attack. Frederic was a really nice guy and an avid card collector. He will be missed.

My deepest condolences go out to his friends and family. Frown

Posts: 2274 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Oh no, what horrible news, i met him at a show once years ago, seemed like a nice guy, tragic thing to happen. Frown

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
Frederic was always a joy to trade with and he seemed genuinely happy to have met like-minded people for the hobby he loved. He will be missed.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Always extra sad to lose a fellow collector.
Back when I used to make it to comic-con, I always tried to figure out a way to send him a little something, the last time in a giveaway in memory of Bill DeFranzo.

Rest in peace, Frederic...
Frown

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That was good of you to do that. In his posts over the years he was always trying to keep up with the odd promos, the ones you could get only at shows or in dvds. It's tough enough to do that in the lower 48 but imagine what it's like an ocean away. Like you, he seemed to have a large, wide-ranging collection. He once said he had over 62,000 cards but had no idea how many sets.

He once spoke for those outside the U.S. perhaps not being comfortable writing at length in English (that thread about various members writing articles on the forum about sets we knew well) but his English was excellent and seemed to make fewer errors than I have and I was born here.

It is sad to hear of another collector's passing. Szym lived in a different world (country, language, cultural mix) than most of us but he was willing to meet us more than halfway by speaking our language. He asked for help sometimes and was also willing to help others. He might have been a little confused with some of the slang but it sounded like he enjoyed his time here. I hope his family learns that there are people they don't know who are sad to hear of his passing.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Always extra sad to lose a fellow collector.
Back when I used to make it to comic-con, I always tried to figure out a way to send him a little something, the last time in a giveaway in memory of Bill DeFranzo.

Rest in peace, Frederic...
Frown

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
It has been a while since we trades (years in fact)but I remember getting into a fantastic discussion about the challenges of him collecting out of the US and my trying to collect in Mississippi. Sorry to hear of his passing.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post