Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Chatter    DVD Rentals
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DVD Rentals
 Login/Join

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have anything negative to say about the Redbox system.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi_Collector
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Does anyone have anything negative to say about the Redbox system.

They lack Television Shows and movies released 3 years ago except, when there is a sequel out or any given actor is Hot at that moment. Then they stock all related movies.

I did a search on Star Trek, Star Wars, and Buffy. No movies listed. But, for those movies I would head to my Library and rent them for Free.

Posts: 1602 | Location: Nevada | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I thought that the Redboxes only offer movies that have been released on DVD within the past 2 months or so. Every week they change the inventory. Right now, I don't believe they have any movies available prior to stuff that was in the theaters before late 2012. Am I wrong ?

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
If an older movie is re-released on DVD recently they typically carry it.

Also, the reason why they don't have titles like Star Wars or Trek is likely due to distribution rights. Carrying those titles is a no-brainer, so there MUST be some reason.

I can see TV series sets being a logistical nightmare. If they have 5 discs from Season 1 of X show and someone rents out Disc #2 then returns it to a different kiosk, within days that single season could be scattered all over the place. How frustrating would it be to get through 2 or 3 discs of a series, then by the time you get to the next one none are able to be found locally?

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
I thought that the Redboxes only offer movies that have been released on DVD within the past 2 months or so. Every week they change the inventory. Right now, I don't believe they have any movies available prior to stuff that was in the theaters before late 2012. Am I wrong ?

I am sure they change the inventory every week, but they definetly carry movies that were released within the past year. The nice thing about Redbox is you can go online and view every title within your local Redbox. Looking at the one closest to me they have Man on a Ledge that has been at Redbox since May 2012.

And they clearly mark movies as "Back Again".

quote:
Originally posted by: Ted Dastick Jr.
they don't have titles like Star Wars or Trek is likely due to distribution rights

I am assuming you mean the older movies because Redbox definitely had the New Star Trek movie when it was released.

Posts: 1602 | Location: Nevada | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi_Collector:

quote:
Originally posted by: Ted Dastick Jr.
they don't have titles like Star Wars or Trek is likely due to distribution rights

I am assuming you mean the older movies because Redbox definitely had the New Star Trek movie when it was released.

I just used Trek as a reference since you mentioned it.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
This all seems like a really good system to me if you want to rent the latest films for a night. It does exactly what it says.

If you want older films then this is not for you but as far as i can see they never said it was.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I know a guy who has a redbox outside of his business. He rents the space to the guy who ownes the redbox machine. The man who owns the Redbox Machine gets the disc from a Redbox distribution center. He can chose from their inventory what to carry for (x) number of disc slots in the machine but must take the disc that Redbox tells him to put in for (X) number of slots for however long they tell him to put it there. So, it is possible that every machine could carry a different type of discs depeneding on who owns the machine.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
So, it is possible that every machine could carry a different type of discs depeneding on who owns the machine.

One other plus for Redbox is you can rent a movie at any location and return it to any location. We have rented movies in NY for a road trip and returned them in Pennsylvania. You couldn't do that at Blockbuster

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
So what happens if you fail to return the DVD within 24 hours ? They charge your credit card, that you had to insert into the RedBox to get the DVD initially ? And how long do they keep your credit card info ?

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
To be fair if you rent the disc for a night and then do not return it of course you will be charged for another night.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
And how long do they keep your credit card info ?

Until the transaction is completed. When the item is returned. I on the other hand Reserve the DVD and pay for the DVD on either my computer or iphone. So I always have the info stored.