Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Chatter    Anyone live in Surrey, preferably Guildford?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone live in Surrey, preferably Guildford?
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted
I have got a two year job at the uni of surrey and am trying to find out info such as where in Guildford I should live if I don't have transport. Such as, where are the food/grocery shops? Are there bike paths? Is it sensible to cycle in a place that appears to rain every second day? Is there a local website that gives information like rentals availability, pick up bands looking for players, classifieds?

Anyone able to help?

BTW one big bonus is I'll be able to go to Memorabilia, there aren't any decent card shows in Australia.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Whoooooo, great stuff, look forward to seeing you. Wavey

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Whoooooo, great stuff, look forward to seeing you. Wavey

Looking forward to meeting you (and other UK members) too. And, depending on weight allowances, I am intending to bring all my spare sketches and autos to trade.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tangent:
I have got a two year job at the uni of surrey and am trying to find out info such as where in Guildford I should live if I don't have transport. Such as, where are the food/grocery shops? Are there bike paths? Is it sensible to cycle in a place that appears to rain every second day? Is there a local website that gives information like rentals availability, pick up bands looking for players, classifieds?

Anyone able to help?

BTW one big bonus is I'll be able to go to Memorabilia, there aren't any decent card shows in Australia.

Well done - Guildford is a nice place

I know Guildford - Not renown for it's cycle paths. I would have thought that without transport you will need to be on a bus route to the University. The University should be able to advise on possible rents also this should give you an idea - Not a cheap area.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/pro...-rent/Guildford.html

Guildford has a lovely town centre and there are supermarkets around the area.

Posts: 12158 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
When do you arrive?

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Hope to meet you at Memorabilia next year as well, Tangent. Smile

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
thanks all. In theory I arrive in early Feb (start on 11th) but the visa process is not quick so probably end Nov.

Thanks for the info Hammer.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Potato Head
posted Hide Post
The only thing I know about Guildford is that they have a good music festival each year. Nothing major, family festival vibe, not too large and some decent bands/acts.

Posts: 751 | Location: UK | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Potato Head:
The only thing I know about Guildford is that they have a good music festival each year. Nothing major, family festival vibe, not too large and some decent bands/acts.

yes, I saw that when I was trying to find out about the local music scene. Unfortunately, it looks like the organiser went bankrupt last year with bad weather and competing with the olympics so it's not clear whether the festival will happen again.